Oxm Rumor Mole: Graw3 In Late '09

beonder13

There are equally unsettling rumors that this is the end of the GR, R6 and SC franchises. Ubi is putting everything into HAWX and Endwar.

There is no logic to this kind of rumour, why would a company pay a fortune for the rights to a name and then trash its 3 main titles.

No, it's not opinion, it's fact. The games sold VERY well on the 360 and are some of the most popular on the console itself.

As did GR. While I know GRAW & GRAW 2 were very successful on console be under no illusion that GR was also a great success, in fact some would argue (me included) that Ghost Recon was what made Xbox Live the success it was in the early days.

I thought it was clearly stated there will not be a GRAW3?

LINK

Yeh, no GRAW3, but not the end of Ghost Recon :nono: perhaps a re-birth, a pheonix from the flames?

Either way, too long of a wait. Endwar and Hawx will not fill the void. We need even more old maps. Otherwise, GOW2 will be the next game I buy.

Your going to love this, HAWX, an Air version leading on from GRAW2, looks like an Arcade dream I'm so disappointed once again with Ubi. But this time I'm not buying.

H.A.W.X. R.I.P. - rip_1.gif

http://uk.xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/tom...t/887909p1.html

viii

As did GR. While I know GRAW & GRAW 2 were very successful on console be under no illusion that GR was also a great success, in fact some would argue (me included) that Ghost Recon was what made Xbox Live the success it was in the early days.

I know [GR] was a great game and sold well back in 2001 (PC) and 2002 (XBox), but it was never released on the more popular and used XBox 360. I wouldn't call it one of the pioneers of XBox Live, but it wasn't a slouch either. I think the most popular title to take off on the original XBox when it came to Live on release was Rainbow Six 3 followed closely by MechAssault. By the time Halo 2 came along (Halo 1 wasn't on Live) it was already a popular service thanks to these 2 games. But now we're getting off topic.

The reason I'd say it'd be a GRAW 3 and not a [GR] 3 would be because 1) The GRAW series is more mainstream, which is what Ubisoft has been pushing for sometime, 2) The GRAW name is more well known by casual players than just the GR name, 3) The GRAW sereis is newer and more well known due to the fact that it's last game was released on current gen platforms in 2007 instead of the less popular last gen GR2SS (2005), GR2 (2004), GR(2002) console releases. It would make more sense financially to go with the current way of GRAW 1/2 than to go with the [GR] formula. It's unfortunate and a shame, but that's the way it is.

what I remember and I saw it here was, the AW moniker is done. it was at the time when the discussion that Grin was not developing anymore for UBISOFT. I read that the next game will be the last of the desert campaign. this was like late last or early this year

I really don't see why people hate the 'Advanced Warfighter' concept so much. Okay it's certainly not the greatest FPS in human history, but they're not bad games either.

Personally though IF there is to be a GR3 I'd want it moved back to the battlfield like the original GR - my favourite level I think was when you were in a swamp and would have to use stealth to attack a house...I don't remember a heap about it, but it was all good fun. Okay urban combat is really relevant right now, but thats what the R6 series is for.

I really don't see why people hate the 'Advanced Warfighter' concept so much. Okay it's certainly not the greatest FPS in human history, but they're not bad games either.

Personally though IF there is to be a GR3 I'd want it moved back to the battlfield like the original GR - my favourite level I think was when you were in a swamp and would have to use stealth to attack a house...I don't remember a heap about it, but it was all good fun. Okay urban combat is really relevant right now, but thats what the R6 series is for.

Advanced Warfighter was an attempt to keep the Ghosts on the leading edge of combat and technology. The concept it self wasn't horrible, and the increased versatility of cross-com 2.0 in Graw2 was a welcome adjustment. But controlling Helicopters and Abrams and Bradley's was never part of the Ghost Recon concept in the orginial game and I personally found maintaing excellent control on my sqaud, the little bird, and the tank a bit overbearing at times.

I would prefer a tighter control on a more versatile team. Give me a team of 6 or 8 soldiers to position strategically and let me perform the various jobs of an elite special forces squad. Hang the machinery....that stuff can provide support but I don't want to control them. Ditch the "platform" style episodic combat and utilize the better aspects of the sandbox ideal, big maps, with multiple objectives and the ability to move into position from multiple angles. I don't mind the advancement, but the linear structure of set battles needs to be revamped. No more missions on rails!!!

Finally, the Ghost and team Rainbow perform a very different service of the international community. One is an elite US military special forces group, capable of completing complex missions behind enemy lines without detection. Rainbow is a counter-terrorist strike force operating within the boundaries of the NATO alliance responding specifically to hostage situations to prevent loss of life. Their expertise is in quick, silent entry and disarming. Were the two to meet in the open streets or some other battlefield, the sheer firepower of the Ghosts would likely win the day.

The R6 is for hostage rescue/counterterrorist ops. The original games did it brilliantly, the sequels not so much.

True, a lot of people weren't/aren't happy about the fancy gadgetry. Me, I absolutely love it. But in GRAW1/2 it was crammed into a linear shooter envelope. Now, if you have a true, non-linear and dynamic tac sim, then a lot of the gear is really interesting: Mobile and deployable sensors, remotely operated weapons platforms and whatnot. And particularly intersting for urban warfare. But then you'd need urban warfare maps where you can actually enter the buildings.

Respectfully

krise madsen

All I mean with the R6/GR divide is that, okay, they perform slightly different roles in that R6 is hostage rescue, GR is military recon.special ops. But at the same time many special forces units, such as the Australian SASR perform both roles. Look at the equipment and tactics as well - the only real difference is that the R6 teams never have grenade launchers attached to their rifles.

In terms of variety, the R6 missions will inevitably be inside or near buildings, they are after all trying to rescue hostages and whatnot. To me then, it seems superflous having GR also in an urban setting, thought slightly different. Putting the GR series back into the open-warfare military ops setting gives the entire series a more unique feel, and certainly makes it a distinct entity from the R6 games.

Oh wile I'm at it I'll completely agree about the whole controlling vehicles and aircraft thing - I hadn't actually thought of that.

All I mean with the R6/GR divide is that, okay, they perform slightly different roles in that R6 is hostage rescue, GR is military recon.special ops. But at the same time many special forces units, such as the Australian SASR perform both roles. Look at the equipment and tactics as well - the only real difference is that the R6 teams never have grenade launchers attached to their rifles.

In terms of variety, the R6 missions will inevitably be inside or near buildings, they are after all trying to rescue hostages and whatnot. To me then, it seems superflous having GR also in an urban setting, thought slightly different. Putting the GR series back into the open-warfare military ops setting gives the entire series a more unique feel, and certainly makes it a distinct entity from the R6 games.

Oh wile I'm at it I'll completely agree about the whole controlling vehicles and aircraft thing - I hadn't actually thought of that.

Both the British SAS and the American Delta Force are groups that perform both roles (military special ops and counter-terror hostage rescue). In Clancy-Universe, Rainbow was created to cut through the red-tape of conducting missions in the Northern Hemisphere (imagine what it would take to get a Polish elite CT/HR force deployed in NYC to disarm terrorists...) and to pool money and talent resources from all NATO countries into one unit. Its why Rainbow always had internationals from many countries.

Personally, urban combat like we see in movies like Black Hawk Down is something I would like to see in a game like Ghost Recon. The GRAW games were designed to have some of that feel. But the initial assault in that movie is completely a Rainbow type action. The trick to not making most of us frustrated is to the GR games off the rails and give us freedom of movement. The multiplayer, for all its faults, at least gives us more of that feeling of "choose your own fate."

There are equally unsettling rumors that this is the end of the GR, R6 and SC franchises. Ubi is putting everything into HAWX and Endwar. The gaming scene for console is very dismal, there are no good squad based games, no good coop games, no military shooters. Mercs 2 has coop but is very arcade. BIA has squad elements but is WW2. Far Cry 2 looks good but has no coop. Fallout 3 also looks interesting but,again, no coop.

COD 5 has coop but it remains to be seen if the gameplay is evolved. [OFP: DR] has possibilities for good coop, if they can get a publisher. GOW 2 is a no buy as the gameplay is too tiresome. Halo 4 may be a more tactical shooter, but, the gameplay would have to evolve a lot to pique my interest.

With all these titles, there are still no games to surpass GRAW or Vegas as squad based shooters with good coop.

There is Rogue Warrior, but it won't be out till 2010. That game is going to have an amazing singleplayer, multiplayer, and coop. Also, the tile system that they are working on for the multiplayer will really add to the amount of time players will spend on the game. Blue team picks a map, Yellow team picks a map, then the server chooses a map, then all three are pieced together. Blue on the left, Server on the center, and Yellw on the right. Imagine all the possiblities of map combinations that could be chosen. The developers have said that so far there are over 200 possible combinations, with the possiblity of close to 400+ when they release more map tiles for DLC after release. You think GRAW2/360 has alot of maps now, wait till Rogue Warrior comes out.

Even though it is coming out in 2010, I really do hope that RSE does a very very great job on the next Recon......they will have some major competition very soon after.

Edited by Xx RTEK xX

I saw the screenshot and thought; oh god, another over the shoulder game..then realized..whoops I'm here in a xbox360 area :rofl: i mean it looks great. but PC games seem to be better for squad based games..surely IMHO

• 4 weeks later...

I guess the community has to wait and see what happens for the next

Ghost Recon Game , be it GRAW3 or Ghost Recon 4

(GR 1 - ORG , GR 2 - console only , GR3 = GRAW1+GRAW2 , GR4 = next ?)

I would like to see coop focus , better use of colors on PC and console ,

cross platform play , keyboard and mouse supported on console ,

Proper seperate SADS program for hosting CONSOLE and PC games.

I wasnt impressed with the interface with GRAW2 or its feel in general

But it looks like the only FPS games that have coop

that are coming out soon is :

New Delta Force game - Nova logic

Ground Branch - Blackfoot studios

New Aliens Game - gearbox studios

Raven Squad: Operation Hidden Dagger - Atomic Motion

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/ravensq.../interview.html

I doubt Ubisoft/Tom Clancy Conviction new game will have coop

(But you never know)

Heard a rumor that Rogue Warrior will be released by holiday season of '09. Looks like if there is a new ghost recon scheduled for '09, they are going to have some very tough competition with Rogue Warrior.

We have the Ghost Recon, based on Army Special Forces. With Rogue Warrior, At least we'll finally have a Navy Seal game on the 360. Now we just need a worth while Marine Special Forces game. COD4 doesn't count, since it also has SAS. We need a game solely based on Marine Force Recon now.

• 4 weeks later...

Heard a rumor that Rogue Warrior will be released by holiday season of '09. Looks like if there is a new ghost recon scheduled for '09, they are going to have some very tough competition with Rogue Warrior.

We have the Ghost Recon, based on Army Special Forces. With Rogue Warrior, At least we'll finally have a Navy Seal game on the 360. Now we just need a worth while Marine Special Forces game. COD4 doesn't count, since it also has SAS. We need a game solely based on Marine Force Recon now.

Chong.....are you a spokesperson for Rogue Warrior because everywhere I go you advertise it like its the best thing in the world, even though nobody has even played the game.

• 2 months later...

well who knows cuz ive heard it might be ghost recon 4 but i also heard about graw3 so idk just gotta wait 2 e3 :wall:

I thought it was clearly stated there will not be a GRAW3?

LINK

Yeh, no GRAW3, but not the end of Ghost Recon :nono: perhaps a re-birth, a pheonix from the flames?

What will it be called?

Not 100% sure, but a better topic to look at is >HERE< Applies for all platforms. Roll up and place your bets. I`ll stick with GR4 for now.