Mission 9: Codename Farallon

This mission is pure cinematic genius, awesome. If you can keep your team alive, and equiped with a zeus each, you can tell them to take out one of the choppers while you deal with the other one.

The scene with the choppers rising up out of the dam has to be one the most memorable of any GR mission.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best way to quickly and easily defeat the two helicopters is to use your teammate properly. Your default load-out should include the Zeus, if you have changed it, you might need to restart the level and equip yourself with the zeus, but that requires you replay the entire mission again... and its a tough mission! Before you start this mission make sure you and at least one other of your teammates have the Zeus. I actaully outfitted all three of my other guys with the Zeus, just to have backup in case one of them got killed.

Getting your teammate to actually shoot the chopper is the tricky part. First, they will not shoot from inside a tower or bunker, get one of them out on the dam, in the open. Next, select the team member, and pick 'attack' from the menu, and aim directly at the chopper you want him to kill. Then clik the 'attack' button. If the chopper isn't in range or there is some obstruction, you will get the 'denied' tone. Otherwise, your teammate will inform you 'roger taking the shot' or something to that effect. He will switch weapons to the zeus and as soon as he gets a lock, he will shoot and destroy that second chopper.

This is what I did and had no problems getting my teammates to use the zeus correctly. Sometimes it will take them awhile to get a lock and shoot if they are behind cover because sometimes they will move out and sometimes they won't, but as long as you tell them to Attack the helicopter and they have a zeus, they will do it.

I do this mission with 2 zeus, both equipped on my AI teammates. Most missions I always put the zeus on teammates instead of myself, unless I know it's going to take them too long to use it.

• 2 weeks later...

i also have a question about this mission:

i don't know how to secure the entrance...

ive killed all the merc's at the entrance and the other 2 tasks i completed.

so ive secured the power plant and secured the generator chamber... but i stuck @ the task "secure the entrance"

what must i do ? i dont get it...

Please help me thanx in advance.

You must have missed one enemy. If you pass the entrance before you have the objective completed there maybe an enemy either in the tower or on one of the sides that you missed. If you go back after the generator room objective they may have walked down the road, so you'll have to search around. He's there somewhere.

It has happened to me once I got really surprised as I just hadn't noticed that I hadn't completed the objective and was sure I had killed everyone. But once I got back down there I found 1 enemy down the road.

im stuck too in this level, i am still curios how to shot down the heli without ZEUS or RPG. I follow the suggestion to shoot only when the small carrot appear but it only let out black smoke. Where do i need to shoot to bring down the heli??

One more thing, my ghost kept getting stuck in corner..

help!!

cause otherwise they killed me ore one of my teamm8s

Actually that isn't always true as i wrote earlier. Sometimes they wander of and don't see the player depending on how you approach the area. Has happened for me once.

yeah but i played this mission 3 a4 times and i cant see that missing one... i dont get it.

okay you can miss the enemy ones but 3 a4 times is a little strange i thinl

thx eric, ive restarted the mission, now i've equipped all my ghosts with ZEUS :D hahahaha...now those heli's will sure got kick in the butt!!!

Yeah... the mission in itself is a grinder (nice one though) and may have to do the same...

I just played this tonight and I quickly describe my set up that seemed to work pretty efficiently for taking down the two helicopters.

Before I plant the emp, I place my guys on the roof of the building that has the helipad on top where you will eventually extract. I spread them out behind sandbags and boxes for cover. This is actually a good position for when the enemy pours onto the bridge after you plant the emp because they will be behind the troops coming onto the bridge and can shoot them from behind. After I plant the EMP I stay in the tower and take out the soldiers on the bridge with my teammates.

Now as the helicopters come up out of the dam I am in close enough range for their to be a red diamond and I can tell one guy to take out one heli and another guy to take out the second. Both helicopters were down within about 20 seconds of appearing from below the dam.

Is there suppose to be a cut scene to the helicopters coming out of the dam? The way Rocky described it, it seemed like there was going to be a cut scene with the two helicopters rising up.

You have to be careful with your guys on the roof though because as soon as the helicopters are down and it tells you to extract some enemy spawn right on top of them. just make sure they can cover each other. My guys made it luckily.

Fun mission. Although it was one of the more linear maps I really liked that it had a wide open space outside and then you also got to do some close quarters combat as you cleared the tunnels of enemy. Great feel to that.

I have noticed that the RPG's in tower 4 will all be destroyed with one missle shot on said tower, even if you are standing in the tower and take ZERO damage. This is very un-cool.

Also are they flying magic helos? It looks to me like they are armed with a gun and 6 hellfire equivalent on each wing station. I'm limited to 5 mags (which is a completely different issue) and these dang things have a magic reloading truck flying around reloading them in mid-air? No offense but that really breaks the whole feel. I played hide and seek with one helo for over an hour and he just kept pumping hellfires at me the whole time....meanwhile I'm running all over creation looking for something to shoot back with.

Edited by Buffalo-6

In mission 9 i have to take out two Mi 28's at the end, on the dam but for some odd reason i cant seem to destory them. Iv tryed everything from rifle fire to perditors, including rpg's. They will not go down. Am i doing something wrong or is this a glitch or bug ?

On meny occasions iv ordered my men with zues's to target the helo's, the missile hit but it didnt stop them. Anyone have a logical explantion for this ?

[Merged with the existing Mission 9 discussion thread]

Edited by Pave Low

It's senseless to try to take down those choppers with small arms. Rekit with Zeusz and restart the mission!

Who said anything about small arms? I had all 4 guys loaded with a Zeus, I used mine to take out the 1st one, and lets see, AI #1 when told to attack the helo walked out into the middle of the street, and died as he shot....no track.....no hit. AI#2 when told to attack.....runs out into the middle of the dam, and proceeds to, and I'm not kidding here, draw his pistol....he dies (and if he didnt I was going to shoot him myself) and he dropped the pistol but his damn Zeus is still on his back.....I cant pick it up. AI#3 is even dumber than the previous 2, because eariler when we had to rescue that reporter, and take out the anti air tanks, I told him to use a Zeus to take it out.....he then walked up next to the tank....and shot it with a Zeus....killing his dumb ######, and after that episode, I dont trust him not to kill me also.....so there I am, running around looking for something to shoot back with against a Helo with magic unlimited ammo....

Any thing else you didnt understand there?

Buffalo-6: Well, that sucks that your guys aren't doing their jobs :(.

I would suggest reloading a previous save and trying to put your guys in different positions to use the zeus. If you can find a good spot for them to stand, they will be able to acquire and shoot without getting fired at.

You can also put one guy behind the hood of the truck, and another guy against the side wall of the tower. From those positions I found the choppers weren't able to shoot rockets at them. The choppers would fly overhead making strafing runs, and as they did so I would issue the attack order. My teammates would then use the zeus as the choppers flew over top of their covered positions. With this method my team can destroy both choppers within 30 seconds of them popping up over the top of the dam.

The rockets sometimes take awhile to track down the choppers and destroy them, since they fly barely faster than the choppers, but I have found that once those zeus are in the air they will destroy the target 10 out of 10 times no matter where it goes, as long as it doesn't fly around an obstruction.

Good luck, I understand how frustrating this game can be. Just trying to help ^^

Edited by Burawura