2011 Ford Mustang *Update 5/27/14

Ruin

Wow!!

2011-ford-mustang-gt-2.png

Official Site

First Look

First Drive

Finally, Ford releases a TRUE 5.0L Mustang. 412HP, 0-60 in 4.6 seconds. Ford gives the Camaro SS a run for its money. The new 3.7L V6 cranks out over 305HP and still gets almost 30MPG highway. A new tuned suspension on the car, optional Brembo brakes and optional 3.73 gears make for one quick, light and agile new car. Finally a muscle-car that's truly ready to go right off the assembly line. I'll let you know how my test drive(s) go once my local dealers start bringing them in. :)

And for those wondering... oh yes, I plan on buying one... within the year.

The previous Mustangs were already better than the Camaro since it's return. Now they are just gloating with the 5.0 and I'm glad they are. :) Actually the 2011 Mustang is almost exactly the same as the M3 in test results (0-60, skidpad, weight, etc.) for half the price.

ford_mustang_v_m3.jpg

So... today... Test Drive! 2011 V6 3.7L 305HP 31MPG Highway.

Alright, it wasn't the GT. It was the V6, and an automatic, but it was a pleasant surprise! I had an absolute blast with this car. I drove a pretty base model V6 for about half an hour. It's got plenty of power, lots of oomph where and when you need it, but is still a great drive on the highway. The exhaust is respectable below about 4000RPM, With a redline of 7000RPM and a pedal mashed to the floor, and trying to bore a hole in the floorboard, she sounded great and had no problems keeping me glued in my seat. The first time I stepped on the pedal to pass a truck I was taken for a ride, she downshifted smoothly, the RPMs shot up, the exhaust grumbled and I felt the front end reach for the sky as we started tearing up the pavement. She wasn't only power and horses, but also a lady on the street. At 70MPH (that's 112.65KMH for you Metric users ;) ) I found a quiet and smooth ride. The stereo (Shaker 500) had plenty of power and plenty of loud. The speakers sounded great and even with abuse from various genres coming through Sirius, it had no rattles or any distortion at all.

The interior is well designed too. There's a lot of buttons on the steering wheel (cruise control, music/volume control and phone control) but I could see getting used to that pretty easily. The quality seemed nice as well, for a mid-level priced car. It wasn't luxury, but it didn't feel cheap or cheesy either. The seats are comfortable and electronic adjustments on the driver's seat is a nice plus. The two tone gray/tan interior looks great too, a great combination for my dark gray test car. The gauges were simple, classic and easy to read. Trunk space was surprising for a sports car as well, lots of room.

Over all I was very happy with the car. It's the perfect budget sports car for someone who wants a happy medium. Plenty of power and performance, but still economical, well priced, and functional (except for the back seats, I wasn't overly impressed, but at least they're there, unlike my Vette). I'll definitely be considering a V6 option for whatever I choose to buy, but I'm looking forward to my next test drive...

The GT! I'm just awaiting a phone call saying that it's on the lot and ready for me to abuse. You probably don't want to know how fast I got that little V6 to go on a back country road. :devil:

Indeed I might, and I probably will. But the practicality of a lower price and much higher fuel economy weighs in heavily as well (and cheaper insurance).

I have let the girlfriend talk me in to test driving a new Camaro too. That Inferno Orange and matching interior is hot. I think my local dealership has one. I'll check it out tomorrow if I can. Might need a new thread for it. :)

The 2011 Mustangs are definitely Ford's attempt to play catch-up with the new Camaros. They're both pretty much on par with each other when it comes to performance on both engine sizes. I'm finding that the differences between the two are pretty minor and not anything that's going to cause much noticeable difference for the daily/casual/amateur sports car driver. I think it's really going to come down to preference for most people deciding between the two.

For me it will be driveability, looks (and both are beautiful), and comfort. Fuel economy is great on both vehicles and both engines for sports cars, and for me anything is an improvement over my 15MPG truck or 8MPG Corvette. Ability to integrate fully my iPhone is a must too.

I'm headed out tomorrow to drive a different V6 Mustang (one closer to home, want to drive some roads that I know better) and to try and drive a Camaro SS. I'll report back again of course. :)

Yeah they are both nice.Im just one of those people who couldnt buy a v6 lol.My friend got a white SS with black stripes down the side and middle.Another friend of mine is considering a GT.The new V6s supposedly run better than the previous GTs,which isnt hard to believe. I like Chevy and Ford but Im glad Ford is finally doing something.I heard a while back they got a 12.6 or 12.8 out of a completely stock GT,dont remember who did the test.

Johnny,

I've not driven the 2010 GTs because I don't need to. The numbers speak for themselves. The 2011 V6 puts out as much HP as the 2010 GT, plain and simple. The numbers don't lie - actually some people/magazines/reporters think that Ford is intentionally deflating the numbers with the new V6 and GT for 2011; On Ford's end I"m considering nothing older than the 2011.

I used to think I could *never* buy a V6 until I drove one. The idea of the perfect medium is very appealing. And when it's not 0330 and I'm slightly intoxicated I'll fill you in. I never thought I'd consider a V6, but after a drive, and considering my purposes, it's not a bad plan,

The previous Mustangs were already better than the Camaro since it's return.

How so? I hope youre not referring to things like power and 1/4 mile times.Mustangs have unfortunately been behind Camaros for some time.

Just going by most car journalist have chosen the Mustang GT over the Camaro SS in an overall comparison. Yes the Camaros typically put up better "drag race" type numbers. Most of the "reviews" cited the level of refinement in the GT is what has made the GT's better than the SS's since Camaro came back. It has moved from just a straight muscle car to a more all-around sports car thus making it a better everyday driver. From certain angles I love the look of the Camaro but the ultra high doors ruin it for me, much like the Challenger.

I am in complete agreement about buying a V6 "muscle car". Just doesn't feel right. ;) Plus the sound of the 5L V8 is unmatchable and irreplaceable. Just to be able to hear that sound every day would be worth the price premium over the V6 and the performance increase as well. "There's no replacement for displacement." :)

Edited by Bota:16

The only thing I said about the old GTs is that the new V6s run as good,not that you should go drive one lol. Yeah Bota I totally agree,no replacement. If I got a V6 where Im at Id never live it down lol. The V6 Mustang and Camaro still isnt widely excepted here.

Halli,

I seriously had dreams about that Raptor. When I saw the prototypes, I nearly lost my mind. What a great truck. But with a $50K price tag, it's one that's off in my future.

I went back to the dealership today. Well, a different one that's more local. I fell in love.

stang4.jpg

Yes, it's a V6, and yes, it's an auto. I know, I don't like it much either. But, for $25K after trade-ins (Bronco and Silverado have to go) it's hard for me to pass up. Stay tuned. :)

Also, for me, I don't demand V8 power or even a manual in my daily-driver. I prefer the higher fuel economy and cheaper price. Why don't I need a muscle car? I already have one. :D I love my Vette too much to ever take away from it by owning something newer and faster (for now).

I'll give a full writeup on my day later.

Halli,

I seriously had dreams about that Raptor. When I saw the prototypes, I nearly lost my mind. What a great truck. But with a $50K price tag, it's one that's off in my future.

I went back to the dealership today. Well, a different one that's more local. I fell in love.

stang4.jpg

Yes, it's a V6, and yes, it's an auto. I know, I don't like it much either. But, for $25K after trade-ins (Bronco and Silverado have to go) it's hard for me to pass up. Stay tuned. :)

Also, for me, I don't demand V8 power or even a manual in my daily-driver. I prefer the higher fuel economy and cheaper price. Why don't I need a muscle car? I already have one. :D I love my Vette too much to ever take away from it by owning something newer and faster (for now).

I'll give a full writeup on my day later.

You're cheating on your Stingray??? :angry:

Not at all cheating on the Stingray, just giving her a worthy playmate. smile.gif

IMAGES REMOVED BY ME

I had this car for about 5 hours today. I loved it. Driving it around my hometown made a big difference in the driving experience. I was more familiar with the roads so I knew where I could and couldn't open her up. For a V6, this thing moves, and fast. I hit some back country roads and some good twisty windy roads to play with the handling and make sure it was a comfortable drive for longer than half an hour. Funny thing was, when driving it to do more mundane things (like get gas or lunch) I found that I completely forgot I wasn't driving my own car. So did Ashley, haha, it was kinda funny. There's nothing I don't like about this car except the lack of two cylinders and a clutch pedal. But really, for a daily driver, this car is stunning. You can't see the awesome Saddle interior but I love the brown and red combo. It's slick. When I started the test drive there were 44 miles on the car. When I finished there was almost 100. I've never seen those numbers on one of my cars, ever. I've never seen anything less than 100K until I bought my Bronco II with 75K miles (that now has no wheels, **ing thieves) about a year ago. I'm seriously contemplating bringing this one home. It's great. I'll keep you posted on that of course though.

I asked the dealer about the GT. They (and other dealerships) don't expect delivery of the 5.0s that weren't custom ordered for people until late summer/early fall. I'll still head out and drive one, even if I end up with the more practical V6.

Haha, if only. I'm working with the dealership. We've hit a rough patch because the Department of Education is manned by idiots and they destroyed my credit while I was in Iraq. We'll see what happens. I'll let you all know what ends up happening, but I'm holding out for this car.

• 2 years later...

Well, it took a bit longer than I had planned... but two and a half years later, I brought this little beauty home on January 5th.

737976_661173950538_1008393347_o.jpg

703861_661705739828_1709236802_o.jpg

2013 Mustang V6 Premium

I've added the Airaid Cold Air Intake and Borla Axleback Touring exhaust. She sounds mean! I'm enjoying the little 6 with an auto as my daily driver, but I've already started saving for the 5.0 as I have always planned. I HAD to get out of my Mazda in January and decided to start with the six while saving for the 8. Most of the differences between the 11 and the 13 are cosmetic - namely the front fascia which the 13 steals from the GT500, which is awesome. The decklid and tail lights are different too. I'm waiting on my last exterior mods to come in before I use the real camera to get some great shots. Once the weather gets better the Stang and the Vette will go out for a join photo-op together haha.

:D

• 1 year later...

Just thought I'd share.

Life never goes how you plan. I think back on this original post that was just over four years ago. How my life has changed, and what got in the way of my dream.

But! I'm happy to report, dreams really do come true.

Y6ugjTZ.jpg

Four years and ten days after this original post, I ordered my dream car.

attachment.php?attachmentid=6834&d=13976

This beauty will be in my driveway as soon as she rolls off the assembly line and finds her way to WNC. I couldn't be more grateful for the path that lead me here. It has been trying and has been a steady battle. This is a physical representation of how hard work, determination, and tenacity DO pay off.

Next step... own a brewery. :)

• 2 months later...

Let me know when I can take it out for a spin. I do believe you owe me one (think back to a green convertable mustang from 10+ years ago). LOL

Additionally, warn me when you are on the roads so I can stay safely out of the way!