GRAW2 Props

Spik@

Hey all,

Some of us are working on new missions for GRAW2 and it can be very challenging to keep missions interesting for players.

One way of making maps more interesting for people is to make new props. Either to 'beautify' the map or linking them to objectives (for example: Proximity Laser by JohnTC02). Eventhough we already came up with several ideas, we would like to ask players (= you :thumbsup: ) to post some ideas!

If you have any thoughts on this, just post them here (if an explanation is needed, just send that in a PM to keep the list nice and tidy)

Please copy/paste the previous ideas in your reply, so we end up with one list of ideas. :thumbsup:

Dont know as to whether its possible in GRAW 2 but how about something like 50 cal automatic turrets activated by those proximity lasers (which should only be seen via nightvision or similar).

CJo1964,

Thanks for your idea!

Although this sounds like a nice addition to the game and it's gameplay, I think this will prove to be very difficult. What you describe is not just a prop which you can use as a static item and/or link script to it. The 50 cal (as you describe it) would have to move autonomously (without an AI to control it) and movement would be needed to add to the 3dsmax model (at least I think so ;) )

Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying it cannot be done, but even us enthousiasts have our limits. Who knows...as we keep learning new stuff all the time, we might just figure out how to do it.

Any other ideas?! Please post them! ;)

You could have the turret fixed in a specific direction. Perhaps put a pallet or something it can knock over/shoot through against it at the end of a hall. players going exploring, enter hall, trigger laser, 3 sec delay, pewpewpew squad pasted.

Or have it out in the open pointed at a specific trigger location. Remember the mines in some maps? You put a device like that in the ground on a spot you think people will travel and the turret gets em. It is more fun like that because if a group spreads out the first half to pass may not hit it and that gives the people in the rear more confidence. hehehe.

ohoh, and since the trap does not kill everyone you get the "picking them off" thing going on. specially if the turret stops once it makes a kill. If placed suitably the team either does not know what hit them or they think a bad guy has sights on them. If they think someone is watching they might hide and waste grenades or put down suppressing fire only to get no response.

Edited by Oelmuvun

Oelmuvun,

Thanks for your input!

I am not sure if you can script a turret (without an AI) to fire. I suppose there are some 'run arounds', but I am not sure how we would do that. I guess that you could have a turret fire by using a trigger and set it up so it will fire at a certain prop or location (or coordinates), but how/if this will work without assigning an AI to it.....!? Hmmm.....worth exploring though ;)

Edited by Spik@

Table flip would be great! Just like the movies! Then you can have a cover key where it switches to third person and you can see over the table you are using as cover. A great time to whip out the armed UAV and sensor balls!

:P

But more seriously, having thigns you could interact with.. doors, shutters, tables... would be interesting.

Now, idk how intensive that would be to setup though so it is probably not very realistic. Remember how in original Ghost Recon we actually had doors?

Edited by Oelmuvun

Oelmuvun,

:D The reason why we want to make more props is we feel we are sometimes a bit limited. The more missions you play, the more you notice how few props we actually have. The more interactive a prop is, the better! Unfortunately the more interactive a prop needs to be, the more complicated the creation of that prop is. :(

In GRAW2 we actually do have the possibility to use an animated door. I admit,..it's only one kind of door, but still... :)

If you have any ideas, just post them here. We may not be able to make them, but one thing can lead to another and we may end up with a cool new feature/prop!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to Spik@ there will be all new props in the game soon. We have been working together to develop new props for the game.

Plus, I have been working hard on animated props so I will be using these in my missions soon.

So as they say, watch this space as there are some exiting new developments coming soon which will give GR:AW2 new life. :)

• 3 weeks later...

How about security lighting ?

Say, you are in a night map and enter a dark compound, trip a security device and this turns on floodlights that bathe the entire area in light ???

Sounds new to me.

Possible you think ????

Also, how about making more use of the mules so as you can top up ingame ?

I did see one map (think it was a campaign one) where you could drive the mule further into the map so as you could keep it with you so to speak. Not sure this possible in normal coop, but how about you have a mule in normal coop and want to move it further into the map. Could there not be consoles dotted around the map that you can activate that will start up the mule and send it onto its next checkpoint ?

Just an idea.

Security lighting is quite easy to set up, nice idea CJo1964.

I have used the mule in some of my missions, I've even converted the ships crate so we can use it to resupply in the same way as the mule.

Daro did a co-op mission where the mule was able to move to certain points on the map.

Problem is though in co-op the mule has a bug where by if you are carrying an RPG and try to use the mule it will crash the game, this also applies ti a few other weapons but I can't remember which ones.

Will think some more after I have had a coffee......lol

In that case, if mule used in a map then dont have RPGs in them. Will the same map crash if a Zeus is used ?

If it does, just dont have Helos or Tanks in the map.....just lots and lots of Tangos....and some panhards.

Scope for another map design maybe ?

Like that Harry map ????

Just in the daytime, not that awful sandstorm brown lighting effect mode !

In that case, if mule used in a map then dont have RPGs in them. Will the same map crash if a Zeus is used ?

If you would use a Mule in a mission for resupply purposes, I do not think you can remove one or more specific weapons. It might be possible to remove certain weapons (the RPG for example), but that would be for the entire mission, so that means you wouldn't be able to select a character that has the RPG to start with. The problem of the game crashing when using the Mule and selecting the RPG is, as far as I know, only with that specific weapon. I am not aware of the Zeus causing the same issues.

Scope for another map design maybe ? Like that Harry map ???? Just in the daytime, not that awful sandstorm brown lighting effect mode !

Scope for another map design? Do you mean designing a new map? And 'that Harry' map? :blink:

G36k and G36C maybe?

We could make weapons as props, but I wouldnt know how to make a working model. Isn't there a mod that has this weapon in it? Brettzies weapons pack maybe? :huh:

Edited by Spik@

• 4 weeks later...

Okay.....been on the thinking desk again and have a few small ideas.....maybe doable or not.....time will tell.

1) Specifically for Night maps this one......Is it possible to make an attachment for a rifle that is a flare launcher ?

Instead of GLs, use this as a flare launcher when you play night maps. Just have to fire into the sky above Tango supposed position and this will illuminate the area underneath flare for set time period. Also you would have to make the sky launched flare glide back down to earth very slowly as with real flares.

2) This is another that would work well on night maps (but could on day/foggy maps too....Harry map comes to mind again).

You know the Zeus has a tracking ability where it locks onto a heat source ???..........well, take this idea and use it as a sort of infra red device for a specific scope. This would enable use of night scopes much easier and more effective. I do believe we have real world infra red scopes, so lets put em into the game !! The scope would use the idea of spotting a heat source in the dark (not using the lock on ability, just to "spot" a heat source). This, if used correctly, would probably work better than nv.

I used the heat scope in GRFS multiplayer and this was very useful for taking out tangos at range.

What do you think ?

Okay.....been on the thinking desk again and have a few small ideas.....maybe doable or not.....time will tell.

1) Specifically for Night maps this one......Is it possible to make an attachment for a rifle that is a flare launcher ?

Instead of GLs, use this as a flare launcher when you play night maps. Just have to fire into the sky above Tango supposed position and this will illuminate the area underneath flare for set time period. Also you would have to make the sky launched flare glide back down to earth very slowly as with real flares.

I llike the idea, but I am not sure if we can make this. I have been experimenting with lighting (searchlights) and the way lights work is something I still haven't been able to figure out completely.

We would have to make a prop or edit ammunition to function as a flare and edit the data to make the flare go up with a certain speed and go down with a much lower speed and emit light at the same time. Uhmmmm.....-scratching head-

2) This is another that would work well on night maps (but could on day/foggy maps too....Harry map comes to mind again).

You know the Zeus has a tracking ability where it locks onto a heat source ???..........well, take this idea and use it as a sort of infra red device for a specific scope. This would enable use of night scopes much easier and more effective. I do believe we have real world infra red scopes, so lets put em into the game !! The scope would use the idea of spotting a heat source in the dark (not using the lock on ability, just to "spot" a heat source). This, if used correctly, would probably work better than nv.

I used the heat scope in GRFS multiplayer and this was very useful for taking out tangos at range.

What do you think ?

Another great idea which I will have to think about some more... Will get back to you on this.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, new idea time again to get those talented buggers out there to work...lol.

IDEA 1:-

As I see it we have the facility to plant C4 charges on things and now have an IED type mine thing.

My idea would be to somehow combine the attributes of both and make a placeable device that will mimic a Directional Claymore Mine.

The C4 is placeable we know, so placing must be able to be done, preferably on the ground (roads, general ground areas) but the explosion should hopefully be concentrated in the direction of the target coming towards it (could you use a detection area in front of the device or an invisible "pressure mat or similar" that would automatically sense the target (AI,Tank,Panhard) and explode ?)

The mine explodes when you get near so between these 2 devices surely a third Claymore could be developed to utilise the placing effect and the exploding effect?

Explosion direction isnt critical, but it must be able to explode automatically when enemy sets it off and you NOT having to do it manually via X buttton.

Doable you think ?????

On a roll today so heres IDEA NUMBER 2:-

The ability to rearm on a map could be useful sometimes when you run out of ammo and dont want to change to a crappier weapon.

In the past we have to use the Mules.

I now have an idea that I think may be doable if done right.

This should be quite easy for you talented guys out there, and that is to have an ingame Re-arming Armoury Building.

This building will be signposted outside soi as Ghosts know its theirs, but when the ghosts enter the building they will get the re-arm screen up once while they are inside.

They will re-arm as normal and exit the building. If they go back in the building they may go through the process again.

The building is just an object, so attaching the properties of the rearming mule to the building instead should theoretically work I hope.

What do you think modders ?

Edited by CJo1964

OK, new idea time again to get those talented buggers out there to work...lol.

IDEA 1:-

As I see it we have the facility to plant C4 charges on things and now have an IED type mine thing.

My idea would be to somehow combine the attributes of both and make a placeable device that will mimic a Directional Claymore Mine.

The C4 is placeable we know, so placing must be able to be done, preferably on the ground (roads, general ground areas) but the explosion should hopefully be concentrated in the direction of the target coming towards it (could you use a detection area in front of the device or an invisible "pressure mat or similar" that would automatically sense the target (AI,Tank,Panhard) and explode ?)

The mine explodes when you get near so between these 2 devices surely a third Claymore could be developed to utilise the placing effect and the exploding effect?

Explosion direction isnt critical, but it must be able to explode automatically when enemy sets it off and you NOT having to do it manually via X buttton.

Doable you think ?????

Making a (directional) claymore is certainly doable and as a matter of fact I already talked about this with my P.I.C. (Partner In Crime) John a while ago. :) The idea was to have claymores that can be used in a similar way as the mines (as in: already placed by enemies).

Having a claymore that can be placed by the player is something that is quite difficult. Eventhough it might be possible to make a model for the claymore in the same way the C4 or EMP works (the yellow-ish model), I don't see how we could 'use' it in the way you describe. The ability for planting C4/EMP is set in the xml files. As you may have noticed, you can only place C4/EMP's on certain objects. This is something that is limited by the objects that are 'C4/EMP ready', so to speak.

I do like the idea, so this is certainly something we could take a look at! I'll discuss this further with John. Good idea!

On a roll today so heres IDEA NUMBER 2:-

The ability to rearm on a map could be useful sometimes when you run out of ammo and dont want to change to a crappier weapon.

In the past we have to use the Mules. I now have an idea that I think may be doable if done right. This should be quite easy for you talented guys out there, and that is to have an ingame Re-arming Armoury Building.

This building will be signposted outside soi as Ghosts know its theirs, but when the ghosts enter the building they will get the re-arm screen up once while they are inside. They will re-arm as normal and exit the building. If they go back in the building they may go through the process again. The building is just an object, so attaching the properties of the rearming mule to the building instead should theoretically work I hope.

What do you think modders ?

Good idea too! I think it is doable. I know John already changed an object once to make it work in the same way as a Mule. I guess this could be done with all kinds of objects, including a complete building. ;)

Hi, Spik@'s partner in crime here :)

As Spik@ mentioned we have been discussing if it's possible to get a claymore in game, while in theroy that shouldn't be a problem making it "plantable" on the landscape is not possible, only props can be made platable with c4 as they need a certain template to be defined in the models xml file so making a landscape plantable would cause all sorts of problems.

Making an actual claymore that we can use in game would be fairly simple but all it would be is a land mine that looks like a claymore as all we have to base it on would be the land mine.

It might be possible to change it's properties like the mass and blast radius but I don't think there is any way to make the explosion directional, so at the end of the day it would work the same as a mine but just look like a claymore.

As to idea #2, I modified the ships crate so it could be used to rearm and have used it in several missions but there is a downside. It will still have the same bugs as the Mule as all I did was to make the game think the ships crate was a Mule, for that reason I didn't use it that much because if you are carrying an RPG then try to rearm it will crash the game.

So in answer to this, yeah it's possible to make a building so when you enter it the rearming screen will appear but as I mentioned it will still have the bugs that the Mule has.