PC Release Date and Official Press Release here

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the specs, interesting to note that the recommended GPU (HD 6670) is actually a greater spec than is reportedly planned for the NEXT next gen consoles (X720 and PS Orbis), which have only a HD 5850

:blink:

While I understand what has prevailed on designs of the 'NEXT net gen consoles' (love that phrase), and I'll probably end up buying both unless they're dreadfully panned by Press and Fans -- I can't help it being disappointed by what's been revealed so far... Both will have AMD GPU's -- nothing wrong with AMD per se, but I would just like to see what NVIDIA could have brought to such a platform in terms of render differentiation... IT appears that both platforms will like their predecessors be essentially SBC PC's -- but that capability as well as KVM support will be marginalized... And most disturbing: the speed, die size and parts used means the shipping products are going to be hotter, bulkier, enormously less power efficient, and render capable then even similarly priced PCs when they ship, which was not the case for the Xbox 360 and PS3...

but I would just like to see what NVIDIA could have brought to such a platform in terms of render differentiation...

you have to remember though While Nvidia may be the "better" brand (opinion Based, i've preferred AMD) Sony and microsoft want to save a pretty penny :rolleyes:

Mind you if it means that the PS Orbis won't be as ludicrously expensive, i'm all for it

the money saving side is where AMD Thrives.

Will reply to a few people here.

First: Hezi69 - There is no point worrying about your graphics card. or speculating how well it will run GR:FS There is NO one here that can tell you how your card will actually perform with the game. There are too many variables like how much RAM you have, what screen resolution you play at etc.

Just wait for the game to come out. Give it a try and if it doesn't run as well as you would like it to, you will have to upgrade your graphics card. Simple as that.

This has always confounded me a bit, as the use of the term 'port' has come to be a really vague Gamer colloquialism to mean anything they don't like about a game that they feel was influenced by a console target design.

The game engine, art pipeline, and toolchain used to create any game that's going to use the DirectX render backplane on the Xbox 360 and/or PC is going to build the game first on a PC regardless and typically the same middle-ware and tools...

@101459 - IMHO, I do not consider the following games "ports"

1. The PS2 version of GR2 (developed by Ubi Shanghai on an old version of the Unreal engine) is NOT a port of GR2 Xbox (developed by RSE on in-house engine)

2. GRAW PC (developed by GRIN on their own Diesel engine) is NOT a port of GRAW Xbox 360 (developed by Ubi Paris on Yeti engine for SP and RSE on in-house engine for MP). These are 2 seperate games.

So although the above examples may have used shared assets (art, textures etc) they are not direct ports.

Ubi has directly ported some games (most notably in the Splinter Cell series) between console and PC with varying success (i.e. PC version buggy and not supported very long after a few initial patches)

Regarding the specs, interesting to note that the recommended GPU (HD 6670) is actually a greater spec than is reportedly planned for the NEXT next gen consoles (X720 and PS Orbis), which have only a HD 5850

Check out my thoughts about the purportedly lower-end graphics chips in next-gen consoles here:

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=58402&view=findpost&p=585489

you have to remember though While Nvidia may be the "better" brand (opinion Based, i've preferred AMD) Sony and microsoft want to save a pretty penny

Mind you if it means that the PS Orbis won't be as ludicrously expensive, i'm all for it

the money saving side is where AMD Thrives.

Well the bidding for the Console chip contract is FIERCE, as the contract is a guaranteed million seller; so both NVIDIA and AMD are willing to underbid themselves and even take a loss to win the contract; just as Microsoft and Sony are willing to initially sell the consoles at a loss, add to this both AMD and NVIDA use the same Fabs making their production costs very similar...

So uncertain that both the deals were made based on best bid on price alone, as it's reasonable to assume from history of how these things have gone and production costs both NVIDIA and AMD came very close on price for both Consoles. And I'm sure that which ever console came second in negotiating saw NVIDA really pulling out the stops to try to get a foot in -- I bet there's more to the story and that it's more colorful and interesting then AMD came in cheap...

Personally, I don't think NVIDIA GPU's are 'better' than AMD; both GPU's have unique render capabilities that I find attractive, and the world of gaming would suffer if either were to go missing from the marketplace. To a small extent that is what may well be the case as far as this next generation of Console offerings as AMD will be on both.

It hard to offer a really good analogy here because the situation is unique but there are a range of features and benefits we won't see on this next gen of Consoles that are proprietary to NVIDA, render features that NVIDIA does better -- as does AMD, so we'll see a homogenization of console capability that is going to make the differentiation pretty bland I expect -- and this will likely extend to the games on each platform as well.

One player that may prove interesting in the Console venue is Steam, that is apparently exploring an x86 PC derivative platform that may offer visualization of DirectX games, run on some flavor of *NIX side-stepping Microsoft, and deliver something really low cost and unique in the features and render capability department if they keep NVIDIA as a partner and actually bring something to market.

Ubi has directly ported some games (most notably in the Splinter Cell series) between console and PC with varying success (i.e. PC version buggy and not supported very long after a few initial patches).

Yes I understand and agree, some of the PC versions of these games were pretty wretched... But it's a misnomer some have that this has to be the case or that the PC version of the game gets the crap shaft like weird match-making features just because it's built on a multi-platform engine. It's as much work and as expensive to put the flaky match-making on games like R6 Vegas and The Splinter Cell PC games as it is to roll a decent server browser by way of example...

So this reveals more about Ubisoft and their weird vision for the PC (like DRM in the past) then it has to do with how games get built for multiple platforms on the same engine, then some notion that the UE3 and CE3 PC games are because then have multi-platform toolchains and the Console version is built first, so the PC game has to be some sort of hasty derivative that takes no consideration of platform differences because of cost.

I do acknowledge that Consoles have unsurmountable limitations that prevail on core aspects of game design, when that same design is taken to PC that we probably won't get away from for another two generations of Console (if then), and the only way around is a ground-up game for PC -- but most games have have more significant limitations then this prevailing on their design regardless of what platform they're built for at get-go...

:)

Edited by 101459

[trollmode]

You know what the PC version needs? switchable first person perspective&third person perspective with TrackIR support!

[/trollmode]

But more seriously, I do echo the positive comment about GR:FS not having always-on DRM.

I would also like to say that the ability to customize a weapon in GRAW1 was wonderful and it was something that I find myself missing in OGR and GRAW2. So I am sure that gunsmith in GR:FS will be great to have. I really like OGR, but it is lacking in a few areas.

But standalone dedicated servers and mod tools are very important too. And tbh, I would still generally prefer to go play ARMA 2 with it's switchable FPP/TPP&TrackIR than bother with GR:FS. Gunsmith or no gunsmith.

London, uk – April 03, 2012 – Today Ubisoft announced that Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Future Soldier for Microsoft Windows® PC will be available in stores and for digital download on June 15th.

Interesting, the official Australian release date is 14th of June?

• 2 weeks later...