how to change the map so player dont lose foothold

There is a minor difference in "the long run" map and all other maps, that you can have foothold on the surrounding mountain area. Since maps created in 3Dstudio or whatever are stored in XML, maybe someone has discovered the switch that turns an area from solid to permissive.

Hope that someone could help me on this one.

FSN_pdanoe,

I am not sure, but I think a map is not very different from how a prop is made. IF this is the case and the folder structure for maps is the same as for props, the xml where the collision is set should be somewhere in the Objects folder.

If the map is made out of one piece (e.g. mountains, rocks, roads, etc. is all one item) removing the collision will result in a unusable map. Then again,...if the map is made with seperate parts where, for example, mountains are added seperately, changing the collision for this part would result in usable mountains. :)

I will take a look at the files tomorrow and see if I can help you somewhat further with this, if you want me to of course. ;)

Regards,

Spik@

Edited by Spik@

Hi Spik@, yes, it sounds like an interesting idea. Definitely I would believe, that the decision is hidden in some xml somewhere. To say it like that, I have the belief that interesting new coops could be made in maps like Calavera and Timber, if we could change the collision.

Another idea that intrigues me, is the possibility of merging 2 maps, e.g. to connect some tunnels. But looking at the XML in the world.xml, I believe I could already have the answer to that one.

Thanks for your time.

FSN_pdanoe,

I checked the folders and the props work slightly different from the maps, so these xml settings will not be in the Objects folder (well,...they are, but structured a bit different). If you want to play around with these (I took a look at them and played around with it, but not enough to give you a definite answer), take a look at the unbundled files in Data / Objects / World / Landscapes / m**_landscape.xml (where ** is your mapnr. of choice).

You'll see that there are numerous lines where you will find 'collision_type'. Some are set to 'mesh_mopp' which indicates that the surface is usable and others are set to 'none'. These are the ones that you will want to edit. It is only a question of finding the correct line to change the setting for the parts you want to use.

As for merging two maps: this is done. Tried it, tested it and it works. :yes:

Edited by Spik@

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hahaha....I know...I know... :maybe:

I've been working on my map for ages now! Piece by piece things are coming along, but I am not the best mission maker there is. When I started working with John in 3dsmax things got even worse! It's just such a bummer there are only 24 hours in a day! :D

I am making all kinds of props and recently I also started making custom buildings, but most of them will end up in John's missions as he actually makes a mission as quick as I can say 'I want to make a mission', but one of these days....one of these days... :fingersx: