GDC XIV: Marathon Format

the.ronin

The GDC is taking it up a notch ... for those of you itchin to get back to the basics and something much more fast paced, prepare to meet your maker.

Every so often for the next few weeks, a new theme will be announced. You will be tasked to create a signature block based on this theme. Once a new theme is announced, you will not be able to go back to a previous theme. You will not know when new themes will be announced. You will not know exactly which will be the last theme. Your score will be judged based on the average scores of each of your entries.

Quickly produce entries or gamble with the timing? Play the averages and submit an entry for each theme? Wait for a theme that speaks more to your talents and interests? It's up to you, young padawan ...

Behold ... GDC XIV ... start your photoshop!!

Theme: Marathon Format

Classification: Signature

Style: Static Image

Size Maximum: 480 px wide x 100 px high; 100 kb

Last Date of Submission: Not Applicable

Minimum Point Hurdle: 40 (applies to overall average score)

gdcawardxivunclaimed.gif

Theme #1: Samurai

bruce.gif

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RONIN....as the new themes come out...will they be getting their own thread...or will they just be listed in this thread?

They will be listed here - that way, it'll be even harder to post an entry of an older theme.

Your new sig rocks but I think it's breaking the forum rules, duder.

RONIN....as the new themes come out...will they be getting their own thread...or will they just be listed in this thread?

They will be listed here - that way, it'll be even harder to post an entry of an older theme.

Your new sig rocks but I think it's breaking the forum rules, duder.

Forum states 480 X 111 and less than 100 kb

Im at 200 X 150 and around 77 kb

I went much less on width..and a little more on height......I can change it if its a problem.

HACK

cryptography3xu.jpg

Inspired from "Kryptos" Scupture

Located in the northwest corner of the New Headquarters Building courtyard is a sculpture by artist James Sanborn entitled "Kryptos." Dedicated on November 3, 1990, the theme of this sculpture is "intelligence gathering." "Kryptos" incorporates native American materials such as wood and metal. A piece of petrified wood supports a large S-shaped copper screen that looks like a piece of paper coming out of a computer printer. On the "paper" are inscribed several enigmatic messages, each written in a different code. The sculpture continues to be a source of pleasure and mystery for Agency employees with a few employees taking the challenge to "break the code."

I wonder who gets theme 2 lol

Just to clarify, the winner will be an average of all of the entries ... there is no winner for any given theme, per se.

Also, since the start of the contest effectively kicks off on any given theme, the timing score will effectively be maxed for each entry.

One thing to keep in mind is that the themes are kept vague to allow for creativity which, as GDC vets will know, is a scoring factor.

Theme #4 Hot

(Keep this one clean.) ;)

I noticed someone has got 2 entries .. Is that Allowed ?.. :huh:

A number of people have two entries ... you are allowed as many entries as you want to do but the average score of all the entries will be tallied.

You are allowed only ONE ENTRY PER THEME ... however, as with all GDCs, you can submit as many entries as you want - the latest one for that theme will be selected.