Frostbite

Rocky

Frostbite by Neutron and El Oso (for full credits please see FB website)

Modder's e-mail : neutron3d@hotmail.com (say thanks you bozos!)

Frostbite Website

Reviewed by Rocky

Download

File size : 240 Mb

Required : Ghost Recon, Desert Siege, Island Thunder

Introduction

Frostbite is a Full Expansion Pack for Ghost Recon. It has everything an Official Expansion from Ubi Soft might have, except it is fan made, and it is totally free. The modding team is headed up by El Oso, and includes work from established Ghost Recon modders such as Neutron, Bajabravo, Don Miguel, Harntrox and Piccolo amongst others, and new Ghost Recon mapper, Sleeper.

Contents

Frostbite is an 8 mission campaign based on all new maps with all new missions. There are 12 new weapons, and 4 new vehicles such as two-men snowmobiles and a M113 armoured personnel carrier.

There is new winter camo for the Ghosts, and new Russian and Norwegian characters. There are 5 new multiplayer maps included, bringing the new map count up to 12 (one map features twice in the campaign).

A host of game types were supplied by Harntrox that will add longevity to the multiplayer experience that Frostbite offers.

Finally, there is even a neat launcher tool coded by Don Miguel that ensures the mod is installed and launches correctly.

The Maps

Three people were responsible for the maps in Frostbite - El Oso, Neutron and Sleeper. I found everyone of the maps to excel in at least one area, and every one of them offered not only glorious scenery, but challenging and fun gameplay. Hardly surprising considering that some of these maps were worked on for in excess of 7 months!

One thing they all had in common was they were a joy to wander through, they are really beautiful, and only go to prove what a missed opportunity it was that Ubi Soft never released a "Snow" Expansion for Ghost Recon. As if the visual spender was not enough, Neutron selected some cracking soundtracks that add to the mood and really put the icing on the cake for me.

Two things I noted about the viewing distance and fog; Firstly, on some maps the viewing distance is terrific with almost no fogging at all, which is going to be a total joy for snipers. Infact one of the maps "Snipers Nest" will probably be worth the download on its own for sniper fans. Perched high above a sprawling snowscape Ghost Recon Snipers will have the time of their lives.

Secondly, where there is the fogging we are used to seeing in Ghost Recon, it was not nearly as obvious, and because of the white snowscape it actually enhanced the whole experience. So rather than being an annoyance, it actually adds to the ambiance and whole "Frostbite" scenario. Or in simpler terms, it's plain kewl.

There are many neat touches, like a very nice rotating radar dish and large ice ponds (make sure you take a close look under the surface!), but what really impressed me was the majesty of some of the maps, they were like a scene out of an old war movie, like Where Eagles Dare, and when that atmospheric music starts the nerves really will kick in!

Some of the multiplayer maps are going to lend themselves very nicely to particular games. Bunkers for example is going to be fantastic for Siege games. Talking about Bunkers, the infamous Bunkers map from Mike Schell that has never been released - has been worked on and included with the 5 multiplayer maps - and what a blast that one is on Firefight!

Finally, do not think that because each map is based in a snowscape that they are all going to look familiar. Thanks to some superb lighting work by the mappers each map looks a little different, and some look alot different. Winter Wilderness is the final map in the campaign, (although I think it was the first one El Oso produced), and it is truly beautiful. The first time we saw it at GhostRecon.net we immediately thought of the amazing scenery that games like Riven in the Myst series produce. Sleeper's map gives off a chilling blue, another great map that will see your Ghosts knee deep in snow if you are not careful.

I have probably written twice as much as I usually recommend including in a Review, (and I really want to say more about some of them) that should go someway to telling you how impressed I am with these maps.

The Missions

Maps are all well and good, but without a decent mission or multiplayer game type the longevity is severely restricted. Longevity is something the modding team has obviously put some thought into though, so no worries on that score.

In the Single Player campaign for example, El Oso has included random mission objectives - so until you have inserted, you may not know exactly what you are up against, so be equipped for anything!

In Multiplayer the awesome game types from Harntrox are going to provide hours, days, weeks and months of enjoyment on these maps.

Weapons and Camo

When you see names like Bajabravo, Wolfsong and Piccolo on the Credit list you know you are in for a treat in the weapons and camo department. The camo looks great, infact it's so good that at times I found myself almost walking blindly into the enemy before downing them with a panic spray of ammo. From the AG3 to the HK weapons, they all look great and add yet more depth to the pack.

Conclusion

If you have skipped straight to this Conclusion, shame on you, your download isn't finished for another 2 hours anyway! If you have read the full review you'll already know I loved the atmospheric and well designed maps, I loved the missions with their random objectives, and I loved pretty much everything else too.

So what are you going to score a fan made Expansion Pack that provides everything you'd expect to see in an Official Expansion pack, plus more, and is available for free download? Yep, for the second time this year I find myself awarding a Ghost Recon mod full marks, and I do not have a moments hesitation in doing so.

Congrats to the whole Frostbite team - 10/10.

Edited by Rocky

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh why I am I 56k!!! but luckly the great team have made it availble on CD!! yea

Without a word of a lie, the postman will not deliver you a better package this year, unless you win the lottery :blink:

I downloaded this morning, finally my cable modem is earning it's cost, can't wait to play, from what I have seen, El Oso and Team have done a fantastic job, If you seriously want to put this on your resume it should be the feature, outstanding!!!

Just tried my hand at parts of "Frostbite". WOW!!!

It was incredible just watching the opening movie. It really gets you into the whole event.

The skins, the weapons....all great!

A GREAT BIG THANKS to all who was involved in the creation of this mod.

I can't wait to invest some time into this one.

Great work!

Hey Rocky,

First of all thanks for the great review. These kinds of comments are what inspires me to keep at it. I was quite pleased with your impressions but didn't expect that high of a mark. That's probably because I'm the type that is constantly striving to do my best and I just always assume that it wasn't enough.

Secondly, I would greatly appreciate it if you didn't headline this mod as "EL OSO's" Frostbite mod. My good friend Neutron is a little upset about this and I can understand him completely. If it wasn't for him, this mod wouldn't exist. It's that simple. It was his idea initially and we worked together to make this happen.

Anyhow, I'm sure it is an oversight on your part since he was unavailable for the private test so no hard feelings.

Secondly, I would greatly appreciate it if you didn't headline this mod as "EL OSO's" Frostbite mod. My good friend Neutron is a little upset about this and I can understand him completely. If it wasn't for him, this mod wouldn't exist. It's that simple. It was his idea initially and we worked together to make this happen.

On large collaborations such as this its not abvious who is heading the mod up, you were the guy I was dealing with so I wrongly assumed it was you.

I'll change it now, sorry about that.

Rocky,

Thx for the review,I rely on reviews for downloads.I have posted in the past that the reviews have been lacking,maybe I was wrong maybe not, but after reading this review I will definitely download right away.

And to all the modders out there,no matter your speciality please keep up the good work because you are the ones that keep GR and GR.NET interesting and constantly evolving.

Saludos,

Foxship

thanks to those that made this mod possible. what an achievment to be proud of. great job guys. well, in appreciation to the FREE Ghost Recon Expansion Pack (it might as well be called an expansion pack, it's well beyond a mod), i will offer up the CD version for those that are bandwidth challenged. please send me an email to jphelps23@cox.net and i will hook you up. you will have to send me a self addressed mailer with a blank cd and postage. ill take about a dozen folks for this offer.

Uncle_John

MUCH RESPECT to the whole Frostbite Crew :D

The mod is beautiful. The sounds, the movies, the maps, the weapons...I have used this phrase to describe Jack 57's BIA and I will use it again to describe Frostbite, Simply Amazing.

El_Oso, Neutron, Sleeper, Piccolo, Baja, and all the rest this is one hell of a mod to include in your resumes :D, all the best.

*off topic* i'll be a little late for that kegger tonight :lol:

Edited by Aggressor

I concur with Dr. Rocky. I give it 10/10 after only the first mission. These guys have beated the developers to the top of the hill on their own horse. One thing worries me - where is the threat indicator. The baddies seem to know where I am all the time, but...

Actually, I'm just another fat guy from Chicago.  No relation to god whatsoever.

It's like they say in that movie...

The best trick GOD ever pulled, was convincing people he was'nt a fat guy from chicago :P

thank's for the nice reviews, glad you all like it

Edited by neutron

I removed the threat indicator from the game. Simply because I don't like it and want you to crap your pants like a real soldier would.

By getting rid of this crutch you will become more in tune with your own senses. Use your ears and your eyes and you should do just fine with some practice.