Windows 8 Customer Preview

ROCO*AFZ*

Anyone else try it? i loaded it to a tablet at work and here are my thoughts.

Metro is simply awesome in touch. VERY fast (of course i am running it on an I5 asus tablet)

Apps that are included for free are very well done.

Xbox live integration - on par with Windows phone. Works well ... but i'm looking for the tablet to do more... not just live arcade games.

Desktop - Wish it wasn't there. When moving in Metro, it's like a system shock when you open a program such as Outlook 2010. Desktop programs just don't seem to flow.

Built in exchange support is cool but annoying that all folders are shown. You have to bring up a menu and choose another. This however is an app preview so it will probably change. No pop in current email either. You have to load a desktop program such as outlook for that.

touch picture password is cool.

Windows 8 On screen Keyboard simply rocks. I can type as fast on it as i can a hardware keyboard. When the tablet had windows 7 onscreen keyboard, typing was a joke.

Haven't tried it with keyboard and mouse, but reviews are saying the support for it also is very good.

On a quad i5 with 4gb of ram, lasts about 4 to 5 hours... not bad on battery.

Although old time windows fans may not like the system shock, i think Microsoft is really onto something. If manufactures can price it right... and not sell it with the minimum requirements so it runs like crap - i think you may see MS take the tablet market by storm this October.

It has a few applications that WIndows phone has and can cross compete in games such as Wordamint. It will be interesting to see how MS brings xbox, windows 8 and windows phone 8 together this October for one huge ecosystem.

I've just seen the movies on the MS site, but it looked pretty cool. Obviously designed for tablets, so how it will perform with a mouse - not sure about that, but I kind of liked what I saw. Goodness knows MS really need to move on from the classic windows interface.

I've just seen the movies on the MS site, but it looked pretty cool. Obviously designed for tablets, so how it will perform with a mouse - not sure about that, but I kind of liked what I saw. Goodness knows MS really need to move on from the classic windows interface.

The metro and tablet side of it is great with touch and from what i have heard keyboard and mouse, but when you hit a desktop app... it's like yuck and seems so old school(even though it's windows 7 like without the start button). I think to get it more accepted they need a metro front end for desktop apps such as office 2010 and such.

You can also install it on a usb stick called windows to go for testing. Not sure how well it works though. You also need a big usb stick (maybe a usb hdd might be better)

http://arstechnica.com/business/guides/2012/03/ordering-windows-to-go-how-to-create-a-bootable-windows-8-usb-thumb-drive.ars

I'm hoping for more cross compatibility between xbox and pc games. I have so many work friends on xbox but i prefer my pc and the higher graphics. If they could combine i would be VERY happy.

Let us know when you try Win 8 on a desktop and let us know what you think Roco

I tried the Win 7 beta before it came out but not so motivated to try Win 8 yet ... likely because been quite happy with Win 7 and still have quite a few systems running XP and Vista that will need to upgrade to Win 7.

I would be more than happy if Microsoft delays the new OS another year or so ...

Yeah i haven't gotten that brave yet. Learned that from early vista when the sound blaster drivers were a nightmare.

On the good side though... same system requirements as Windows 7, so no upgrade needed.

Mouse support seems good from what i've seen online. It uses corners instead of the gestures.

I've dove in a little more to it. There is a big seperation between metro UI and the older desktop. Here is what i mean. If i'm in metro and i go to the settings of the charm bar, i am greeted with metro settings. IF i am in the desktop, same charm bar, then settings takes me to older settings like the control panel. You almost have to turn your mind on and off when going between the 2, remembering which UI you are in. In desktop you can run flash. IE 10 metro does not but will recommend you go to the desktop if a site requires and add-in such as flash.

It was easier for me though since i have windows phone 7 because i'm already used to metro and live tiles. Peeps using the xbox 360 also should notice the similarities since the newer dashboard i guess went metro (i don't have an xbox 360)

Windows Phone is also releasing a sonic the hedge hog that you can pause the game and resume on the xbox and vs versa. I am wondering if the pc will get this feature. SInce there are some cross capable metro games between the phone and windows 8, i'm betting you will see it there.

Now what they need to do is emulate the xbox 360 on pc (since the pc can already use the controller) beyond the arcade games. Imagine gamers choosing ... xbox 360 with Kinnect for 300.00 or windows 8 pc with kinnect with the capabilities to do work also. Would be great for college students and the like.

Here is a video on Windows 8 from MS. It shows tablet and desktop use.