Developer disable mods!

44 replies to this topic

#1 Rocky

Rocky

• Admin
  • 22,703 posts
  • XFire:rocky00grnet

Posted 20 April 2003 - 07:32 PM

Battlefield 1942 developers are disabling ALL client side mods in a bid to wipeout cheating - check it out.

A note on cheating and exploits -- we've all seen how cheating can destroy the gameplay experience for everyone. EA and DICE take cheating seriously and we are taking an aggressive stance in preventing exploits which allow people to cheat. The biggest source of all BF cheats and exploits are client-side modifications. With the release of patch 1.4, we are disabling all client-side mods. Unfortunately, this means that the client side mods that aren't used for cheating will also be affected. DICE and EA have spent the past few months trying to engineer a solution which allows client-side mods to work while stopping the cheats. Ultimately it proved impossible to do so in such a way that prevented future client side mods from opening up new methods of cheating and exploitation. However, this doesn't mean that all mods are unusable. By making the mods into full server-side mods (Desert Combat for example), everyone can experience the cool factor that these mods offer.

:o

Posted Image
GhostRecon.net | Rainbow Six | PSP Guides | Support GR.net | My Blog | My Game Videos
Posted Image

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth" Albert Einstein

"Framerate is just a number" WatchDogs Creative Director

#2 Zantar45

Zantar45

Ghost - 1st Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 07:43 PM

:o

wow

I guess there will be 2 types of BF1942 players, patch 1.4 players and non patch 1.4 players.

Well those with 2 pcs can now have one pc with 1.4 patch and the other pc with all sorts of mods.

If this happens to the next GR, they better damn well put alot of maps, weapons, and create a character modes. Or else its not gonna live long.*

*I truly hope Im wrong though.

#3 Avey

Avey

"Ole Timer"

• GR.net Supporter
  • 3,242 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 07:43 PM

well i can see both sides, we all hate mp cheaters but mp without mods :( that would be bad.
Posted Image

#4 Meprolite

Meprolite

Recruit - 2nd Class

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 07:44 PM

My understanding is that you will be able to play client sided mods offline. It's only when you go online and the server returns a disparity that you'll have any issues. Online you won't be able to activate anything that differs in any respect to the setup being run on the server.

Ghost Recon could do with that.
Posted Image

Hand written note from British Mercenaries in Oman to the men of the April, 1980 Iran Hostage Rescue Mission:
"To you all, from us all, for having the guts to try."

#5 X69RZX

X69RZX

Pointman - 3rd Class

• GR.net Supporter
  • 641 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 07:46 PM

I'll just run a seperate version for MP gamez ;) :o= :blink:
cheaterz suk :o Oh, ok Mep, that would be ok. <_<

Edited by X69RZX, 20 April 2003 - 07:48 PM.

Your pain is my pleasure. Your death, my life.
In a cold dark place, your neck, my knife.

Posted Image

#6 Meprolite

Meprolite

Recruit - 2nd Class

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 08:01 PM

I'll just run a seperate version for MP gamez

I very much doubt that will be neccesary. You'll just have to remember to deactivate your Merciless Packs (or whatever) before you log on to the server (ie. create a new shortcut).

Think about it this way... There is no difference between a client-side and server-side mod until you join a server right? It clearly states that server-side mods are still supported so the only difference between 1.31 and 1.4 is that you won't be able to run Merciless (for example) on a server that's not hosting it.

If this were Ghost Recon, it would be business as usual, except that the guys who've screwed with their RSB's (full screen NV etc.) would be **** out of luck.

See what I'm getting at? :)

Edited by Meprolite, 20 April 2003 - 08:05 PM.

Posted Image

Hand written note from British Mercenaries in Oman to the men of the April, 1980 Iran Hostage Rescue Mission:
"To you all, from us all, for having the guts to try."

#7 Kamakazi

Kamakazi

Pointman - 1st Class

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 08:12 PM

O I see so this would actually be a good thing?
Rocky: OMG I just got filtered by my own forum. wall.gif

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Stalker

Stalker

Wednesday 13

• GR.net Supporter
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 09:53 PM

I think it's bad!
there are not so many cheaters out there ( maybe ) and when someone is cheating he is getting banned after the first match !!!

Mods are wonderful :D !!
without mods GR wont live anymore..............
Posted Image

#9 WhiteKnight77

WhiteKnight77

Ghost - 1st Class

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,072 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 10:27 PM

This does open up a can of worms. Cheating can be gotten rid of, but does inhibit the use of certain kinds of mods. From a GR standpoint, server sided missions would be good, but not mods that are needed by everyone like maps, skins or weapons.

I for one rarely use mods, but I know lots of you do (I hate having to pick through hundreds of kits to find a kit I want to use.) Missions, I do like as they just give you new objectives without adding more kits.

#10 Rocky

Rocky

• Admin
  • 22,703 posts
  • XFire:rocky00grnet

Posted 20 April 2003 - 10:29 PM

At the end of the day - it's another thing that cheaters have brought down on us. :o= :o= :o=

Posted Image
GhostRecon.net | Rainbow Six | PSP Guides | Support GR.net | My Blog | My Game Videos
Posted Image

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth" Albert Einstein

"Framerate is just a number" WatchDogs Creative Director

#11 WhiteKnight77

WhiteKnight77

Ghost - 1st Class

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,072 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 11:06 PM

At the end of the day - it's another thing that cheaters have brought down on us. :o= :o= :o=

And that in and of itself is what really bites for those of us who play fairly. <_<

#12 Kamakazi

Kamakazi

Pointman - 1st Class

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 11:47 PM

The way I got this was that you could use any mod as long as the server guy had it activated so if he had say the full screen night vision on you could to if he didnt you couldnt

But I could be wrong
Rocky: OMG I just got filtered by my own forum. wall.gif

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 Ruin

Ruin

Scouts Out!

• Consultant
  • 6,730 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 11:55 PM

That's what I see it as too...

But this also would mean the elimination of SP mods.

Any missions would have to be co-op etc etc.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 GoldFishboy

GoldFishboy

Recruit - 3rd Class

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 12:41 AM

I think its a good thing. i hate MP mods any way. i dont think this will stop all mods from being made (i hope).

#15 Aggressor

Aggressor

Scout - 1st Class

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 12:47 AM

I hate MP CHEATERS :angry:. Mods are what make games fun and "new". Personally i do not have a problem with the whole MP mod issue. it might be unpopular during the first few weeks, etc after it comes out but i think that people who really enjoy MP will play again and be assured of an equal playing field and a cheat free experience. But i hope that SP mods are not affected if they decide to implement this for GR2.

my two cents :ph34r:

Edited by Aggressor, 21 April 2003 - 12:49 AM.

AMD XP 2600+, MSI K7N2 Delta-L, Antec 1000 Plusview AMG case, ThermalTake True Power 420 Watt PSU, Dual Western Digital Caviar 7200 RPM 120 GB HDs, Corsair 2048 GB PC 3200 DDR 400 RAM Samsung 16x DVD-ROM/RW eVGA e-GeForce 7800 GS CO 256MB GDDR3

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users