Starting anew

Ruin

Not to hijack Ruin's thread, but ZoneAlarm Basic (what I use) is free (a whole lot cheaper than a router and is upgradeable when needed) kept me from the MBlaster worm while everyone else that was at the forums that night about a month ago was rebooting every few seconds. I would go that route if a router/hardware firewall can not be purchased.

On the subject of backing stuff up to disks, CDR's are better as the format is compatible with moreCD-ROM's than the RW format. I have burned stuff on my LG CD-RW in CDR and read it on my Lite-On and on other CD-ROM's. CD-RW disks are good for packet writing where you will be removing the stuff. There have been reports of some files becoming corrupted in CD-RW over time. If you really want to keep the data, put it on a CDR.

I don't want to keep it forever, just a temporary holding spot so I can format the HDs.

I'm going to try and get an actual router tomorrow. Perhaps it will save me some pain in the long run. I might setup a software Firewall just for security's sake though.

That is a very good choice. Dlink is an excellent product, only second to Linksys.

I am running the Dlink DI-604R and I am very pleased with it. I was on a budget, and got it for 29.00 US, and I have no complaints at all about it.

It is easy to setup, although a bit more ambiguous than the Linksys, a good product nonetheless.

Alright, so here's what I have:

40Gs worth of CD-Rs, a D-Link DI-604 Router, and 2004 Norton Antivirus.

I've hooked up the router with success on my third attempt, lol (forgot to unplug the cable modem). I'm installing Norton AV now, and will begin burning stuff ASAP.

Once I get through everything, I'll be ready to format *gulp*.

My question on Linux will be in a new topic. And Win XP is ready to go *phew*

Thanks for everyone's help, I'm sure there will be more questions! :D