Going from P4 1.6GB to a 2.6GB

Dick Splash

You've checked to make sure the mother board supports the higher processor? Yeah, just make sure because you don't want to spend all this money on a cpu and realize it won't work. Other than that.... can't help ya with installation. I've never installed a CPU before. Somebody else here has though.. :)

Thanks for that Stinger. The book and their website says it supports the 2.6G, so it's just a case of swapping it out. It states though that it supports 400 BUS, so does that drop my spec down to a 2.4G?

DS

Edited by Dick Splash

Hi folks,

It's probably been asked a million times somewhere, but basically I want to upgrade my processor. The board's book says it can take it, so what do I need to do apart from swap it out, if anything?

DS

You may also need to upgrade your system's BIOS. Also check the website of the CPU manufacturer. AMD will not honor the warranty if you don't use a particular thermal compound, nor will they honor the warranty if you don't use the fan supplied with the CPU. Also check the clock speed of your new CPU. You may need to upgrade your RAM as well.

Just make sure that you check and make sure that there arent any clock adjustments or jumpers to change, or soft settings in the BIOS. But it should work famously for you. Although if you are looking for a noticeable performance gain that you can actually see, you may be a little disappointed.

Most of the time, depending on how big a jump you make with the proc, you wont notice a big difference in your performance per say, like you would with a major RAM upgrade or Video card upgrade.