Motorcycles

hephaestus

And of course something came out in the 90's that greatly reduced the lifespan of a biker. What is this you might ask? The damn cell phone. :wall: Soccer moms in vans or SUVs yakking on the celly don't pay much attention to the road let alone other cars and bikes.

Defensive driving is the key. I have only rode a sport bike on the street a few times, but I have had many brushes with people yakking on cell phones in my car. I swear I can guess what other cars on the road are going to do next and around 90% of the time I'm correct. Most of the time I know what other people are going to do before they know themselves. I'm not saying I'm a great driver but I haven't gotten in a wreck yet, I have had many close calls, but thanks to defensive driving they remained just that.

The problem with defensive driving(in a car, not a bike) is that once you know someone is about to hit you...do you just let it happen? I have almost done it a couple of times when I had a POS car, but I always decide against it. :ph34r:

Lovely bike..... :rocky:

Like most of you iv'e had fair share of "get off's" none of which i have to say were down to my riding but all of them involved a car driver not paying attention, or in the case of my worse one a 16 year old being given a driving lesson, no licence, no insurance, on his own, looking down trying to get a manual gear into gear and what do you know, he manages to do it just as i go past him but he hasnt got his foot on the clutch, straight out into the side of me while im doing about 60mph, the last thing i can still remember is seeing the front of the car hit the left side of my bike and leg, when i came to there was traffic jams in both directions, i got up to see if my leg was broken because it bloody hurt, took off my helmet and looked over to see some kid crying his eyes out because he thought i was dead, just then the police and ambulance turned up as i was examining what was left of my bike.

Taken to hospital but self discharged, still cant remember how i got home although somehow i found a train station and walked the rest...

As most of you know i work as a paramedic so i see the messy end of getting it wrong on a bike whether its your fault or someone else's but none of this is going to stop me doing something i love, lifes too short to "play it safe", as long as i enjoy riding and i take reasonable precautions thats all you can do, now, where did i put those knee sliders ?... ;):thumbsup::devil:

but none of this is going to stop me doing something i love

Amen.

I have had two friends die on Motorcycles, and i know that if it was the other way around i would'nt want them to stop riding, those of who have ridden know the feeling of freedom that comes with it, and yes i would say its spritual to me, i am lucky enough not to have had an actuall accident, this is probably because i am a fan of interstates and long drives and most incidents happen in town, i used to mainly wait untill about 9pm strap on my helmet and leathers and run the interstate that conviently does an almost complete circle around my town, it was like having my own road course cuz at night it was pretty dead, again i say spiritual, but one close call sticks out in my mind i was cruizing down the main strip here in town with some other riders and a car in front of me decided to speed up and go through the yellow light and then all of a sudded slammed on her breaks(appearantly she changed her mind when she saw the cop at the intersection), had i been in a car we would of made contact, but i was able to lean to the left and lock up both wheels to slide around her, i kept the bike up and my feet never touched the ground as i slid past her driver side window giving her a friendly wave with a certain well known finger... :devil:

and to continue the posting of nice bikes...Aprilias are really nice but way too pricy in the states...

10.jpg

BMW is definitly starting to step up their sport bike game...

bmw.jpg

...now lets see some pics of custom bikes... :D

Edited by ~NkOgNiTo~

Hey ~NkOgNiTo~,

What kind of aprilia is that? It is sweet. Is it the new Mille, cause those look awesome from what I have seen. The front looks like an RC 51(SP2 for the Brits). I wish they sold a street legal version of the RS 250 here, I would buy it in a heart beat, even though it is 10 grand.