D Drive Failure

Ruin

Alright, I'll give it a shot later today.

If that doesn't work then I don't know what to do; because money isn't a luxury I have right now; not to mention my parents are still ticked about the camera... so asking them for $300 more would be kinda dumb.

The only thing I can think of is making it a slave on another computer to see if it can be read. Cause its acting like it has nothing on it. Odd though it couldn't have been formatted cause it would need to be FAT16, FAT32, NTFS or some other file system if it was and it isn't according to your Disk Management. It's as if somebody just highlighted all the folders on it and hit delete.

Did u have any prgrms installed to it? What happens if u try to extract something like a zip file to the drive?

I tried to extract a ZIP to D:\ and got this:

Unable to create folder 'D:\'

The volume does not contain a recognized file system.

Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.

Like I said, I have no other computers to test it on. Or the cash to take it to a Pro.

@Phantom, what can ya do?

They are relatively new drives so its a 99.9% positive chance they do. S.M.A.R.T. is a build in part of a HDD that is used to detect problems with the drive. What is the model number for the HDD? I am gonna get u on aim and see if u wanna try this SMART program thingy.

Edited by Stinger

I got that SMART thing you told me about Stinger. It's registering one problem for my C drive (the good drive). But it says my D drive is okay... It's also saying that 44% of the space is used... on both drives. Wierd.

@Ruin

OK. First, your MBR isnt dead. If it were, you wouldnt be booting your PC right now. Reloading Windows isnt going to help you.

Second, the only 2 ways that you are going to be able to recover that data are to 1) send it to a pro for recovery, and I think your looking at 300 or so minimum, depending on how full the drive was, and 2) getting a program like System Suite to recover the data for you, and that will cost you between 80 and 100 dollars to do.

You currently have no file System setup on your D drive. This means that something, either a virus or a mistake on one of the computer operator's parts wiped out the D drive partition table.

Now, either direction you go, you are going to have to create a new partition(s) on the D drive and format it again, as the original partitions are totally gone. But you dont want to recreate and format the drive again if you are planning on trying to recover the data.

So you need to decide that first. Whether you are going to take it to someone or get the software and do it yourself. Ill be checking in frequently tomorrow, more back to normal now that Im all moved.

Let me know what you want to try and do.

I've saved many a HDD for clients, 2 of them business clients who never backed up either. Took me 6 hours to do it, but I recovered all files in tact, and boy did I make some good money doing those little jobs ! !

I cant guarantee it will work, but it has for me every time I have used it so far. It is an awesome utility.

This doesnt sound to me at all like a Windows issue, so dont unins/reins Windows. You can try if you get really frustrated, but I think you will be very disappointed if you do.

The final thing we have to do is get you a way to backup your files to CDR, so that if/when this happens again, it is merely a minor inconvenience instead of a major catastrophe like now.

To not cost ya bud, all you can do in that case is recreate the partition(s) format it, and start filling it up again. Like I sad also, System Suite is great, and Ihave had very good luck with it, but there are NO guarantees with data recovery. So also take that into consideration when making your decision.

ahh,,Is it worth the time to use the hd with the os on it as the master,,and the secondary hd as a slave,,considering there connected to the same ide,

does this matter ? by using cs doesn't that give the options to read from either one,but not from both sources.? with out a raid controller,, *anyone* have thought on this?

Edited by -[NCM]-force