little download question

swartsz

in IE, normally when you click on a download link you get the Save as.... panel. but last night i reinstalled IE6 and now i do not get that panel anymore and it is bugging the hell out of me.

does anybody know how to fix this??

:P In Opera for some reason highlighting is uber fudged and it has trouble dloading crap from so much stuff. I love its added features and the bottom status area but I had to go back to mozilla since the bloody thing wouldn't do basic crap. You can also try NeoPlanet it's another browser :)

i know about the right click option but for example at logitech.com you have leftclick the link. because if i try to right click, save as.... it will download a HTML page instead of the file i want. i think it has something to do with my security options in IE but i haven't got a clue how to slove this.

ps. i do have the latest version of IE6, updated it last night

Edited by swartsz

This is where Stinger comes in with one of his :blink: comments.

I use IE 6 and don't have half the problems these guys do with it, but then I don't spend my life on my PC, and if I do have a problem I just ask Phantom and voila it's fixed, hell he usually answers my questions before I even ask them.

Your best bet is read alot of info on the browser you want to use, mags, books etc.

On the problem that you're having now try right clicking without left clicking first, when I tried to dl the ssl missions I had the same problem you are having, the thing I was doing wrong was left clicking first I didn't need too, right click then save as.

Hope this helps. GL

Let me ask ya this too bro. Is this something that is only happening to you at File Planet when you try to DL mods? Or is it more of a general issue?

Also, tell me what OS you are using. I ask this because there are some different options for the same version of IE6, depending on what OS you are using.

Hang in there. We will find you an answer.

I never had a problem with IE...and then one day...wham! Quit working...and I tried to fix it...troubleshoot it...no joy! I've done several things to try and fix it and none of them work...

So I downloaded Opera...and I love this browser...it has replaced IE for me...and works like a champ...heck...I might even buy the registered version of it...

i am using win98SE, i am having no troubles with fileplanet or downloading mods. it happened when i tried to download the advanced cp from Logitech.com. it says go to Download, i leftclick the link, in the statusbar it says downloading filename, but then it goes to a new page with the URL of the file in the adressbar, but nothing happens, and when i try to right click the link it will download a HTML page instead of the file i want.

There is one other thing you can try with IE6 and Win98.

Go to control panel, add/remove programs, and click on Internet Explorer and choose remove. A panel with 3 options will come up. Reinstall, Repair and Remove. Choose repair. Let it do its thing, when it's finished, close control panel and reboot your machine and see if that fixes it.

IE5.1-IE6x only have this option available in Win9x/WinME. Will NOT work with XP or 2K ! ! This option not available for those systems ! !

Cool, isnt it? I havent had one single issue with Opera. Not one. Im considering the registeres version also.

YES...

At first I thought it was going to be nuisance to have to use it just to download stuff...but now I see that it is actually a suitable replacemnt all together...it has features that I wished IE had...

I like the download manager...I like how its "skin-able" (I have a nice set of WIN XP'ish looking buttons) I like how it opens multiple sites all under one browser...I could go on...but I won't...

Suffice it to say...Opera is a cool browser indeed.

did the repair thing but it didn't work and i also found something i haven't got a clue about. in the add/remove programs dialog box there are 2 IE programs

1: Internet Explorer Q818529

2: Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools

dont understand what the first one represents.

Cool, isnt it? I havent had one single issue with Opera. Not one. Im considering the registeres version also.
Hmmmmm.....I havent had one single problem with Opera, where I couldnt even get Mozilla Firebird to run.
Odd, I've tried Opera since the 5's and there has always been some little quirk that I personally couldn't stand.

This is where Stinger comes in with one of his  comments.
###### is that supposed to mean?

I use IE 6 and don't have half the problems these guys do with it, but then I don't spend my life on my PC, and if I do have a problem I just ask Phantom and voila it's fixed, hell he usually answers my questions before I even ask them.
I have no problem using IE6. I can run it day in day out but I CHOOSE not to due to the fact it doesn't have tabbed browsing and hogs more resources then Mozilla firebird does. I think there is thing called Crazy Browser that adds tabbed browsing funtionality to it but Im not 100% sure.

Opera is a good browser I'll say that. But when I no longer have to spend 2 minutes trying to highligt text, or don't have trouble lodaing and downloading from pages that are not using ActiveX controls and when I can have my darn middle click=open link in new tab function I will move to Opera. I love the little stats at the bottom that tell u how much of a page is dloaded and all that. I still have to use IE6 for stupid Windows updates and some pages that are hooked on stupid ActiveX but other than that I don't touch it.

@XS, try Mozilla Firebird .6. It is only 6.66MB and tell me what u think of it.

@Phantom, I don't know how it couldn't work. All u do is unzip the contents of the .zip file into a folder and click the executable....we'll make that out winter project :)

@Swartsz, did at one time have a download manager and then uninstall it? I was reading on another forum about this happening after I guy did that. (IIRC DA).

That thing (Internet Explorer Q818529) is a security Update btw.

Edited by Stinger

@Swartsz, did at one time have a download manager and then uninstall it? I was reading on another forum about this happening after I guy did that.

it is a totally clean system, installed a new HD on friday. could it have anything to do with my ActiveX settings in the Internet Options menu?

thanks on the info about the Q818529 thing, almost removed it

Edited by swartsz

@Swartsz, did at one time have a download manager and then uninstall it? I was reading on another forum about this happening after I guy did that.

it is a totally clean system, installed a new HD on friday. could it have anything to do with my ActiveX settings in the Internet Options menu?

thanks on the info about the Q818529 thing, almost removed it

Well lets see. I have download signed ActiveX controls as Prompt (may be the key there prompt)

Downlaod signed activeX controls:Disable

Skip a few....

Under downloads I have enable

Cross reference ur settings to mine.

Internet Explorer Q818529

The first IE entry you saw in control panel is just a security update that was downloaded. Do you remember when this was DL'd and installed, and did it coincide with the start of the issue? Try uninstalling just this, NOT the IE6 with tools.

See if that clears it up.

I personally think the whole IE thing has to do with a new patch or something that has been released...mine started doing it after autoupdate downloaded and installed a patch...maybe try and find an old version of IE and delete the new one and go back to an older one...though deleting anything from MS thats so integrated into the registry can often cause a nightmare itself...

@Stinger - Mozilla eh? Thats Linux compatible IIRC...used it awhile ago...I'll give the new ver a run through when I get some time...

@Stinger - Mozilla eh? Thats Linux compatible IIRC...used it awhile ago...I'll give the new ver a run through when I get some time...

Its good and light, Linux and Windows compatible and I like it. But make sure it's mozilla firebird .6 not just mozilla (bloated version).