Cable Modem Tweaks

Ruin

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heph is on the same service, in the same part of the country, and he's getting what he should. Ruin is getting hosed by Charter. Pretty simple. All the file downloads in the world arent going to change the fact that his speed is in the dumper, and needs to be fixed, as Heph's test seems to bear out, from the same provider, in the same part of the country. A Small file on a limited server isnt going to tell us anything at all useful regarding Ruin's problem.

Especially since, as he and I have mentioned time and again, it isnt a problem with certain servers or files, but overall line speed.

Ruin, goto http://www.visualware.com, and run Visual Route to a couple of IP's and see if you are getting any packet loss going to these sites.

PS. Run the Visual Route Live Demo bro.

Edited by phantom110565

What about that MP3 heph?

as soon as i hit the link, wmp started up and it took 17sec for the whole thing to finish. somebody post a file that i can save and delete, and i'll check transfer speed, if that makes a difference. It's pretty obvious he just needs to get in touch with Charter.

Edited by hephaestus

Guess it's just time to start taking bets on what Charter says :). But if you are going to call them Ruin, make sure they actually come to your place and all because if all you get is some phone service then your getting a bunch of crap. They love to blame things on you or Windows.

make sure they actually come to your place

Damn, that means I gotta clean up my room... snagginfraggin... grr.

Yeah, Charter is gonna get a call... late August :wacko:

I'm heading to New Mexico for a bit, then to Pennsylvania, then I finally get some time with my GF and then school starts... crap. lol.

I'll call them and see what can be done, but not now.

Too many people in this thread, LMFAO!

@RS, you're in Nashville... probably closest person to me. zjj and SR are too close (location wise, no one read into that). I need to find someone else in WNC... preferabley using the same server...

Exactly guys. Everyone should be getting 80% or better, or you are getting robbed. Plain and simple. Everyone here has tested at at least that much, or more. Ruin has not, and it isnt right.

Im not trying to argue here. Im just trying to give good advice to people that dont always have alot of money for the latest toys, or the best service. And to help him get it fixed right, with as little aggravation as possible, because lets face it folks, when you are on a budget, and you need your stuff to work like Ruin or I or Rocky, who have to have everything working, aggravation is worse than being broke, when you are as busy as they are.

A small file download from a site, of only 3 MB, isnt going to tell us alot. However, everyone that did DL it, did it in at least half the time or less, than Ruin did. That should answer Stinger's question. He has a service problem.

Another possibility is that someone on his node is running an unauthorized web server, which is illegal according to cable company policies, because they can choke the trunk, starving everyone else. If Ruin gets a tech out there, they can track this down also, and remedy it, that also being the cable companies' responsibility to it's customers.

I just looked down and like 8 people were viewing this lol. Since your on cable Ruin, somebody in your area may be pimping a ton of huge file servers 24/7 :(

Yeah, there is a new internet company in backwoods NC. :lol:

Seriously, though, I've had Charter for about a year and haven't had any problems so far. When I have called the techs, they're all really nice and they explain things as if you're 5yrs old (they get a lot of people that dont know what they're doing). They also speak proper english, and luckily, in my area, in a southern accent. :lol:

GL bro, let us know how it goes when you get back.

Well I am calling Comcast to come out here then cause I am having trouble dloading things fast such as Demo, mp3's etc.

That was a file.

Okay I mean a file that isn't from any line testing site. Have you ever dloaded a demo, mp3, trailer etc. at 500kbps? And unless you are running the larger tests i.e. the 700kb ones then that 534 or whatever number is an estimate since you aren't dloading a full 534 document thus it being synthetic. I can't wait till the end of August though :)....maybe it should be added to the forum calendar.

I just looked down and like 8 people were viewing this lol. Since your on cable Ruin, somebody in your area may be pimping a ton of huge file servers 24/7

Another possibility is that someone on his node is running an unauthorized web server, which is illegal according to cable company policies, because they can choke the trunk, starving everyone else. If Ruin gets a tech out there, they can track this down also, and remedy it, that also being the cable companies' responsibility to it's customers.
Sounds like deja vu. Edited by Stinger

Ran it again to double check speeds:

speed.jpg

The thing that I have found out about charter is you have to stay on them when you have a problem. I've used them for about 9 months now and have had 3 issues so far. Plus, they will do maintenance to the system without warning. I sometimes work til 3-4 in the morning on projects, and I had a huge file get dumped in the middle of transfer to a client one time when charter decided to pull the plug for upkeep work after midnight. The level of professionalism there largely depend on who you get ahold of - it's a crapshoot.

I DL at 500kbps all the time. DL's are measured in KBPS, in which case you divide that number by 8 to get your true Kbps. Yes folks, totally different animals. 500Kbps is only about 60KBPS. So, yes, he's still getting hosed by the cable company.

Modems measure in Kbps, and DL's measure in KBPS.

Modems measure in Kbps, and DL's measure in KBPS.

I was wondering how to figure that out. I didnt know that. I'm really glad you posted that info.

The other day I was reading all about that, how there were 8 kilobits in a kilobyte - it was interesting stuff, wish I could remember where I read it because it explained why it evolved that way.

This is how it evolved Rocky.

There are 8 bits in a byte. To get bits from bytes, you multiply by 8. To get Bytes from bits, you divide by 8.

Modems measure in Kilobits. Most ISP's sell their service in Kilobits or Mebabits.

Downloads are measured in Kilobytes per second. To get a reading to compare to how your service meaures this, you multiply The number of Kilobytes by 8 to get Kilobits.

For example, a 56kbps modem, theoretically should DL at 7 Kilobytes per second, but usually averages between 4 and 5.

A 1.5 Megabit connection, such as I have should DL at 187 Kilobytes, using max bandwidth, depending on if the server DL'ing from is capped per user or not.

The key to recognizing what your looking at, is the case of the "B".

Lower case "b" is bits, uppercase "B" is bytes.

Kilobits = Kbps = 1000 bits

Kilobytes = KBps = 8000 bits or 1000 Bytes

Megabits = Mbps = 1,000,000 bits

This is how it evolved Rocky.

There are 8 bits in a byte. To get bits from bytes, you multiply by 8. To get Bytes from bits, you divide by 8.

Modems measure in Kilobits. Most ISP's sell their service in Kilobits or Mebabits.

Downloads are measured in Kilobytes per second. To get a reading to compare to how your service meaures this, you multiply The number of Kilobytes by 8 to get Kilobits.

For example, a 56kbps modem, theoretically should DL at 7 Kilobytes per second, but usually averages between 4 and 5.

A 1.5 Megabit connection, such as I have should DL at 187 Kilobytes, using max bandwidth, depending on if the server DL'ing from is capped per user or not.

Kilobits = Kbps = 1000 bits

Kilobytes = KBps = 8000 bits or 1000 Bytes

Megabits = Mbps = 1,000,000 bits

Thanks for the info Phantom....memorizing......

• 2 weeks later...