Ghost Recon.net Forums

LAN Party Setup Question

I'm gonna have a LAN party for this weekend at my house and I've never been to one or had one before so I have a couple questions....

1. I have a router, but with all the people that are coming, will it work if I have another router or switch and daisy chain em so that they're all connected?

2. This isn't going to like kill my electricity in the house is it? :)

3. Any tips or suggestions for setup, etc....

4. I'm not sure of how many games that we will all have that we can play. I thought of Enemy Territory that we could all get and play for free... any others?

THANKS! :)

1.If I were you I would go out and buy a many(8+) port Switch. (They are UBER cheap on ebay)I've never heard of daisy chain so sorry /me feels dumb...

2.If you have too many computers on one circuit it will blow the power and screw up your electricity u bet. A friend of mine had a large lan party and put too many computers on one circuit and completly lost power.

3.Make sure people bring their own crap...but be prepared since you know somebody of course will forget something.

4.....drawin a blank

Ok thanks. Diasy chaining is like... um, for my router, if I took an ethernet cable and put one end into one router and the other end into another... would it still work and connect all the computers connected to both routers? :)

Hmm never tried it, phantom should be over this way shortly so I'll let him field that one but I would guess yes *knocks on wood

Have you thought about charging a nominal fee for electricity and food stuffs? That is unless they provide their own food/good friends or whatever.

I would remind them all to bring some ethernet cord too unless you have lots, that is what people always seem to forget.

Hey FF.

No. It wont blow your power out or cause any trouble, and you can daisy chain routers very easily, and set up that LAN Party. Just make sure that when daisy chaining routers, that the second router goes into the uplink port of the first.

Set the routers up so both are DHCP, and make sure that all PC's on the network have the same workgroup name. On all the XP machines, have everyone run the Network setup wizard. Must be done or wont connect.

If you have trouble, message me, all my contact info is listed. But it should go easily.

I do recommend using a surge supressing power strip fr the routers and the Pc's. If you have a hub and a router, you can daisy chain those as well.

Any questions, let me know bro. Happy Birthday ! !

Okay, if it wont blow anything up, phantom hook up 6 computers to one electrical circuit on your house...we'll talk to you a week or so later when you get the re-wiring done. It will blow up I've seen pics and heard stories. Phantom go google for it.

@FireFly

Hook up with me bro. We will get you safely set up. Message me through my contact info, and rest assured, Im more than smart enough to handle doing it without blowing your house up.

You have my info from before when you were helping me out.

Myself and 4-5 of my friends get together 1-2 times per month to LAN PArty and I've learned a few things along the way.

Have everyone bring headsets instead of Speakers. Trust me, if you are all in the same room or if there other people in the house, this will be a big benefit. You can get inexpensive ones at Walmart for less than $10.

I have a large toolbox I bought at Walmart for $10 that I keep all the essential extras in that I take if we LAN at another location:

1. Extra Cat5 cables ( I have 4 15' ones and 1 100')

2. Extra Headsets (I have 2 sets)

3. An 8 Port Switch I bought off Ebay dirt cheap (10/100)

4. An extra Mouse w/scroll wheel

5. OS CD with startup disk(s) (XP, ME, 98)

6. A couple of CDRs I burnt with all the latest Patches/MODS/etc. of the Games I know we will be playing. Yes, they can get them over the LAN but sometimes it is easier to just hand out the CDs while doing other things.

7. 4-5 cheap mouse pads..again walmart (even if using optical mouse as you never know what kindof surface you'll be playing on)

8. an extra NIC with drivers (yes we have had one fail which would ruined the day for that guy if I didn't have an extra.. only takes a minute to replace)

9. A power strip w/surge protection (I have 2)

10. a 25' heavy duty extension cord.

We always have between 4-7 computers onthe same circuit and have never blown a breaker yet.

As far as the toolbox and contents, if cost is a problem, have everyone chip in and split the costs if you are going to game on a regular basis.

Games we play:

1. GR - usually Defend mode. I modified a lot of the missions so the defend area isn't inthe same location which gets boring after play a mission a hundered times. Also get the DAGRM48 mod..great kits

2. NASCAR Racing 2003 with the new Track Pack (if you like racing, you'll need a wheel)

3. UT2003 DM

Just my suggestions..

Good Luck

@Firefly

My suggestion is take the advice from me and trelfer. He has some very good points there.

Plug everything in, fire it up, dont worry about a thing, and enjoy your birthday bro.

For 2 years, I have been running 4-5 PC's on the same circuit in a 30 year old apt. In 13 years as a Professional in the industry, I have never seen a house burn or wiring ever melt

Before that, I ran 8 computers 24/7 in a 50 year old house on the same circuit.

In 13 Years IN THE INDUSTRY, I have seen companies and corporations run as many as 25 on the same circuit, and even servers.

Stinger must be talkin about the Missouri Public Schools wiring.

I asked people that I know who work in these environments everyday, and they have never seen it either, and only one had ever heard of it happening once, but it was a faulty circuit.

Just offering some re-assurance here bro. Have your LAN party and have a great birthday.

And if ya decide you like the LAN parties, put yourself together a kit like Trelfer has. A very good and wise idea.

Make sure you use surge supressors.

This is what I found for you guys YIPEE!

It happens I've heard horror stories before. At work today our IT dude came in (does almost nothing) and so I went ahead and asked him. He said he had never actually seen it and all but he said it was a very possibe scenario.

Stinger must be talkin about the Missouri Public Schools wiring.
lol, it doesn't matter at our school, the computers are down too much and if the pieces did blow up nobody would care. We'd maybe get to upgrade from P2 machines :D (Terminal Services makes them a little nicer).

My expierience as a professional technician in the Information-Technology industry has been thus, that clients boxen are prone to the said hazzard. Though rare and complex is this issue, it is quite possible that an occurence such as the one stated could happen.

From the same website that Stinger quoted, I found this bit of information.....

Q: How many computers can we support on an average house circut?

A: 4 to 5 computers is the recommendation. Each computer draws anywhere from 4 to 5 amps from the circut. On a 20 amp circut, you can only have 4 or 5 systems. This changes drastically when other devices are added on the circut (computer speakers, stereo system, microwave, etc). You want to make sure you don't overload your circuts, or feel the wrath of many unhappy fragsters.

@ FireFly

Check out this LAN Party FAQ page.

@ FireFly

How many people were you thinking about having over? Some of this discussion may be a moot point if you are not having more than 7-8 people.

@ Stinger

This site seems to be a bit contradictory... in another area they say this.

Power issue # 1. Power Distribution and Circuit Loading. Let's define an Electrical Circuit as the group of electrical outlets that all connect back to the same circuit breaker. Electrical circuits here in the U.S. are rated in AMPS. It's hard to imagine what they would be rated in outside of the U.S., but hey, anything is possible. Here at PlanetQuake we have 20 AMP circuits, which is pretty standard for light office construction and housing. We generally can fit 7-8 PC's with monitors and speakers on a 20 AMP circuit. Anything more and the circuit will eventually "trip" or shutdown. Note the word "eventually". Circuits that are on the edge of overloading won't shutdown immediately, instead they will slowly overheat until the circuit breaker trips. Right in the middle of your LANParty. Suddenly instead of playing everyone is looking at you and waiting for you to wave a magic wand and fix the problem. NOT FUN. Bottomline: Don't overload your circuits. MAP out your power and understand which outlets are on which circuit. The easiest way is to have a helper go from outlet to outlet with a lamp or similar device while you flip circuit breakers on and off until you locate which circuit the outlet is on. Label your outlets and circuits for future reference!

More can be read here.

Some people dont do what they say/reccommend. I would tell somebody not to go 90MPH down the highway...but that doesn't mean >I< don't. Lots of people like to push their limits, I think he is just saying lower to be cautionairy. But I will ask one of the dudes from that site what is up with it.

If we do the math quickly (and roughly):

Let's say each computer is pulling at peak draw, so we can determine how many machines a 20amp circuit will hold at full capacity.

If we assume that a single PC is pulling 350 watts, the attached CRT pulling 110 watts, and speakers pulling... let's say 150 watts.

That's 610 watts per machine. Again, I'm estimating here, so don't rip apart my figures too much. There are a lot of variables.

Ok, so at 610 watts per computer, and the formula of wattage / voltage = current (amperage)

We see that

610 watts

------------- = 5.54 amps

110v

So, a 20 amp circuit should probably hold no more than (20/5.54) 3 complete computers, at full load, with CRT's and speakers. Well, 3.6 actually, but I don't know many people with 0.6 of a computer. ;)

If we cut the speakers, and assume a more nominal draw from the PSU's of the PC's, we can approximate 6 or 7 machines on the same circuit.

The key thing is to always make sure that the total draw of all the machines on the circuit at peak draw remain below the capacity of the circuit they are on.

Edited by Dannik
@ FireFly

How many people were you thinking about having over? Some of this discussion may be a moot point if you are not having more than 7-8 people.

7 people total running on fairly high end systems. We will all (for the most part) have brand new systems so they'll probably be using a lot of power. A couple will be laptops though so it shouldn't be a big deal. Thanks for the link on the website. :)

The laptops will be running off the batteries, and the AC adapter will be pulling just enough current to charge the battery. It shouldnt be a big deal at all. Also, the power adapters for the laptops have a built in Surge suppressor.

You have no worries here bro.

Have a blast.

Ok, that was awesome! It wasn't hard to setup and everyone got to play! We played a ton of Battlefield 1942, CS, and DOD! Wish there would have been more people but it was still a lot of fun. Now I just have to go and look on the web for a professional lan party with a ton of people that I can go to in my city. :)

Nice try phantom, but when he mentioned Laptops, they consume less power and don't have speakers/sperate monitors and are built to consume less energy than a desktop. ;) I figured I would tell you how they work since you seem a little unknowing. I don't mean that as a flame or anything mind you just as some general info. :)