vidcard

I want to upgrade from a gf2mx400 to a fx5200 128. I have xp1600 and 256ddr. Would the 5200 be a good bang-for-buck in my situation? And dont tell me to get ATI, I dont want one.

Any suggestion on brand would be appreciated.

Edited by hephaestus

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I'm actually upgrading to that same card, from a GF2 as well. From what I've read (and I have read a lot), both PCGAMER, MAXIMUMPC, and a few sites say it is the best cheap card out there. I've recently found it several places online for little more than 50-60 bucks, when its on retail for 100-140. Go for it, I'm getting mine on my birthday at the end of the month.

I dont think Vision Tek deals with Nvidia chipsets anymore...could be wrong

Can't find a cheap PNY...guess you get what you pay for?

If I were to buy a cheaper brand, could i not just download the latest nvidia drivers if the drivers provided cause trouble?

My current card is Inno3D, so I'm thinking of going with that, or eVGA.

Edited by hephaestus

Get a 9500Pro :D *pushes buttons* I've been happy..

But anyway, I'm assuming you've done your shopping as far as prices go?

You pitch in $60 towards my 'college fund' and I'll think about it...

Yeah, dont really want to spend more than $70

You get what you pay for. The FX 5200 is cheap for a reason. It's not really a leap ahead of your GF2MX, despite the marketing.

Spend the $20 more, and get yourself the next step up (whatever that is for your budget)... it WILL be worth it.

As you can see Heph, we all have our personal opinions. ;) So let me throw my two cents into the mix:

First off, I have been a huge nVidia fan since their TNT series debuted. I have personally owned a TNT2 and a GF4. Currently, my primary rig has an ATI card installed.

IMHO, nVidia went wrong with the release of the FX cards. Price vs. performance just aren't that great. And the FlowFX cooling system wasn't that brilliant either. I already have a freight train Volcano 9 - why do I want another one competing for attention?

Again, I'm not bashing nVidia here, just not understanding the whole "cinematic graphics evolution" push. Look at most un-biased benchmarking, and you'll see ATI head to head, and in many cases, exceed the FX Series.

My point is, just get what you can afford, but I'd look at a GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB over a 5200FX.

I've been eyeing the gf4 TI's for over a year, and I know they are performers, I just wasnt sure how the fx cards stacked up against them. And price is always an issue with me...I'm really tight. I have to be if I want to eat during next two semesters.

I'm not totatlly disappointed with my current card, but when things hit the fan, all I get is chop. For example, the M16 vs Ak games we've been playing-- i'll have to stop playing for over a minute waiting for the chop to quit.

Next year, after I graduate, I'm planning on building myself a desktop, and I want a card that will last at least another year.

So looks like I'll look around for a TI. I hear Commanche 4 runs wild on those :devil:

Take a look at the ti4200 and 4600. I understand they are fairly cheap now, and they will be good for a year or more still.

My Ti4400 has problems when the battles start raging in C&C. I dont even want to think of what it'll be like in a year/

I have seen alot of issue with the Gainward, with drivers, and XP install issues.

Especially when trying to use Nvidia's drivers, and not Gainward's.

Not by everyone mind you, but enough for me mot to recommend the Gainward.

I would agree with RooK, regarding the 8500 128MB. It, and the 4200 are similar, but I didn't mention it, Heph, because I wanted to abide by your wishes... ;)

As for brands, I am very impressed with PNY's Ti4200. Extremely stable, and a great overclocker too... :P ASUS and Abit also make excellent cards. MSI is not bad, but I have heard too many negative stories about MSI products to test my luck.

P.S. If you want a Top-of-the-Line card, go with ATI - hands down. :P

Good Luck Heph, and let us know what you decide...

OK, I found a Leadtek ti4200 128ddr 8xagp for $107...closer to my price range than most. Does an 8x card require an 8x mb, or can I use it with my 4xagp board? I know 8x isnt a major feature to consider, but I'm just thinking it might help in the long run.

Also, realize that a superfast card really wont do me much good with my current pc. I have a K7S5A board, xp1600, and 256ddr. While this system is fairly upgradable, I still dont want to pour too much money into a card, as a cpu and memory upgrade will soon be due. Or I'll just save my money and build a new machine--but, thats a different thread for a later date.

Id be closer to looking at another 256MB of RAM sooner than a new video card...256 is just too small in this day and age. And 8x AGP will work with 4xAGP IIRC.

Yes, 512 Megs of RAM seems to be the standard now-a days. Of course theres about four main types of RAM that are in use, and Id suggest you use anything over PC2100. And an 8x AGP card needs to have at least a 4x and/or a 2x option for it to work with a mobo that doesnt have an 8x slot.

I just axed VisionTek off my list. Damn. Oh well.

The AGP8x cards will work with 2 or 4x. Also, 8x doesnt provide much of a performance gain, not enough to worry about. It has even had some compatability problems.

Also, the RAM upgrade would be a major improvement for you. 512 is a good number.

Edited by phantom110565

I may buy a stick of 512 and take out one of my 128s...640 sounds like a good number. Does the ram have to match or can i mix it: 128 of pc2100 (1) 512 of pc2400 (2) ?

My board only supports up to 266MHz...looks like pc2100 is the limit.

Edited by hephaestus