Removing Spyware

Ruin

Guest Jester
I know I saw somewhere around here a thread that had info on programs that removed/cleaned spyware. But I can not for the life of me find it.

Does anyone know some off hand?

• AOL Instant Messenger
  • Gator
  • Kazaa
  • Morpheus
  • Metallica - Saint Anger

I've been using Ad-aware/Spybot combination for about a month now. Spybot has found more things than Ad-aware has. Not that there is much to understand about the program, but I think Spybot is more user friendly.

Greetings!

Spybot S&D is suing Ad-Aware and another fugazi for software theft.

Also, Spybot is not 100% effective while having Ad-Aware installed according to the maker.

Spybot was able to remove a Trojan Horse from my c-drive that both Ad-Aware and even Norton ignored because it disguised itself as a windows write-protected program!

I used to think I had the solution with Ad-Aware until I found Spybot S&D. :ph34r:

I had been an Ad-Aware user (still have it installed) and it has worked well since I started using it. I then decided to try Spybot Search and Destroy and when it found things Ad-Aware missed, I was hooked. Ruin's miscue is the first I have heard of anyone having problems with it. I think Ruin hit a wrong key somewhere, I don't know. Try it Snake, you'll like it cuz Mikey likes it. :lol:

@ruin

Because adaware and spybot both delete and edit registry entries when you run them and delete the files, system restore wont work.

What I do before I run either one, is back up my registry to a safe place, so that if something like what happened to you happens, I can restore the registry, rerun adaware and spybot, and carefully review the list of items it finds, checking each item b4 wiping it out.

Once the registry has been changed, even in a minor way, System restore wont work.

Also, after running one of these programs, and altering your registry, before you do anything else, upon reboot, create a new restore point for yourself.

I've heard to use both as they look for a few different things.  Eh, can't hurt to have two. :)

Greetings!

Again, Spybot S&D doesn't run properly with Ad-Aware installed, in fact the maker is in litigation against Ad- Aware for theft.

Ad-Aware allows many harmful programs to get through that Spybot blocks like that Trojan Horse it found on my system.

BTW spyware is not illegal and many big businesses are using them including MSN, AOL, E-Bay and many others. Spybot S&D gives you the names of these plus those spywares that masquerade as Spyware Removal Programs! :ph34r: