Slow machine

ZJJ

I'm running a Windows 10 64-bit OS, Intel Core i5-6600K, 3.50GHz processor with 16 GB RAM.

Periodically my system will run extremely slow. In checking task manager, I would find that the RAM will be maxed out (98%), but the CPU and disk drive will be less than 10%.

I will not have any programs open.  The process that is using the most memory would be display fusion at 47 MB.  The total of usage comes nowhere close to 16 GB.

The only way I can get the system back to normal is to turn it off for about 2 days.  This is problematic when trying to work remotely.

In the research I've done it could be a virus or drive incompatibility.  I'm running webroot anti-virus and have done all updates on my system.

Any ideas why this is happening and what I can do to prevent it from happening?  Could it be a sign that RAM is failing?

I can post images the next time it happens, if that may be helpful.

If you have two sticks of RAM take one out for a test. If you have 4 RAM slots try the RAM in different slots.

Seems most motherboards don't come with a system speaker anymore but if yours has one are you getting any beep codes.
My motherboard did not come with a system speaker so I bought a couple for 4 or 5 dollars.
Honestly was not much help to me.  Not a techie so what I have said may not help.

I never heard of hybrid shutdown! In reading about it, changing this would definitely clear the memory upon shutting down.  However, when I go to my settings, I am not given the option to change it.  grrr

Will look into it some more.

Thanks, Alex!

Edited by ZJJ

9 hours ago, Dannik said:

If it appears but cannot be changed, near the top of the page is likely a Change settings that are currently unavailable which would enable the fast startup toggle.

This is what I did to turn it off on my PC. When it was enabled on my PC, it should have been labeled extra slow startup as it took forever to be able to use my PC. High disk and RAM usage. With it turned off I'm back to normal.

high RAM usage with no explanation is a potential IOC(indicator of compromise) and could indicate that a malicious process is injecting into the memory.

if you work for a medical society you are a potential high gain target of APT's and general attackers trying to make money off the back off covid or disrupt operations in relation to it.

23 hours ago, ZJJ said:

I never heard of hybrid shutdown! In reading about it, changing this would definitely clear the memory upon shutting down.  However, when I go to my settings, I am not given the option to change it.  grrr

Will look into it some more.

Thanks, Alex!

here are two ways explained

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001762.htm

4 hours ago, ZJJ said:

I work for a regional medical society.  What are your concerns?

is this your private PC or from the company? Do you have admin rights?

if from the company please let this be fixed by your sysadmin.

RAM failing: NO..RAM banks are running or not , even if they start to be broken they do not cause high usage

If your RAM usage is 98% and you can not identify process  which is causing then this is : a) you do not see process since you do not have admin rights and you can not see all of them or b) process is hidden and it's likely a virus...

webroot is bad as (or good as windows defender)..try to temporarily (one shoot) uninstall webroot, reboot  and see if  the issue with RAM happens again (not that this is done by some regular antivirus check)

6 hours ago, die7 said:

is this your private PC or from the company? Do you have admin rights?

if from the company please let this be fixed by your sysadmin.

RAM failing: NO..RAM banks are running or not , even if they start to be broken they do not cause high usage

If your RAM usage is 98% and you can not identify process  which is causing then this is : a) you do not see process since you do not have admin rights and you can not see all of them or b) process is hidden and it's likely a virus...

webroot is bad as (or good as windows defender)..try to temporarily (one shoot) uninstall webroot, reboot  and see if  the issue with RAM happens again (not that this is done by some regular antivirus check)

Hi die7

This is my personal computer.  

The RAM issue was happening  before I installed Webroot.  I was running AVG at the time, and when that expired I turned to WebRoot.

I am actually quite satisfied with WebRoot; have used it professionally for years.  When our company was hit with a cryptovirus, we didn't lose a thing due to webroot being able to neutralize and restore our files.  That was the only program that identified the virus.

Thank you for your advice.