How to fix Ghost Recon for Windows 10

As I run Ghost Recon inside a virtual machine on my Mac, and I can no longer test on other systems, I‘d like to know if there are other fixes required on Windows 10, e.g. what about that image flickering bug? There was a special DLL required, right?

This is my experience with Win 10. I didn't migrate to Win 10 right away, it was probably a year  or more before I did after it was generally available.
By the time I did the issues GR had with it had be resolved except for the DRM issues with discs sets. I never had the screen flickering and IIRC there may have been a bug where you had to run GR in windowed mode. Did not have that one either

I have never had any problems running GR on Win10 with the Steam version. I think most problems are with disc sets on Win 10.
One exception: Within the last year I bought a AMD video card. GR would not launch. Ike.log mentioned a .dll related to video so I rolled back to an older set of drivers and then it worked. No troubles with the other computer that has a Nvidia card.

Edited by wombat50
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

This relates to my issues using an AMD card with current drivers. I updated my drivers to the current version to play RDR2 which had its own problems at release of that game.
Doing so caused GR not to launch on my AMD video card computer. For grins and it is no effort, I tried the fix in the video in the first post of this thread and GR launched.

Edited by wombat50
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 01/07/2020 at 03:36, ApexMods said:

This seems to fix a common failure to launch issue for Ghost Recon on Windows 10. Hope it helps some folks to get GR running again.

I haven't been here for 13 YEARS!!!! Yikes!

I haven't played GR since my old Vista PC but when I was working on a PC for an old GR friend... I tried to install it on his Win7 PC... where it didn't work, then on my Win10... where it didn't work. Originally I got an error that I had to run it as Admin... but that didn't work, nor compatibility mode. I just tried renaming that file... with no luck. GR shows as running in task manager but not on screen. Ike.log says

***** User's system configuration *****
      CPU: GenuineIntel 3190 MHz Recent Intel
      RAM: 1024 MB
      O/S: Microsoft Windows 2000 5.1 Service Pack 2 build 2600
RSOptions: Could not open options file options.xml for reading, using defaults
Ghost Recon (RELEASE)  version = 1.4.0.0(0)

Since I'm loath to buy GR and the expansion packs at Steam (BTW... do the old mods work in the Steam version?)... any other ideas?

So we're talking here using the original disks.... or is "something else" involved?

Thanks!

Edited by cryptomorph

There’s an official “Ghost Recon Complete” or “Ghost Recon Gold Edition” DVD with Desert Siege and Island Thunder included, that was published by Focus Multimedia (UK) around 2005, IIRC.

It has no DRM / requirement for the disk to be present to play. AFAIK, it was the only official disc release without DRM, so it might work on Win 10 etc.

Should still be able to find it e.g. at Ebay,  Amazon, or some software archive. 🙂

This is what it looks like.

Windows 10 removed the SecuROM driver from the O.S. so it won't play from the original disks. It should work on Windows 7 as the SecuROM drivers still in the O.S. but a Microsoft patch disabled it. Enable it through Command Prompt C:\Windows\system32>sc start secdrv

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ApexMods said:

There’s an official “Ghost Recon Complete” or “Ghost Recon Gold Edition” DVD with Desert Siege and Island Thunder included, that was published by Focus Multimedia (UK) around 2005, IIRC.
It has no DRM / requirement for the disk to be present to play. AFAIK, it was the only official disc release without DRM, so it might work on Win 10 etc.
Should still be able to find it e.g. at Ebay,  Amazon, or some software archive. 🙂 This is what it looks like.

I remember it well... I bought it as gifts for some of my friends kids.... so we could play on line. I didn't know it didn't have DRM. Thanks.

EDIT... actually I think I bought the kids a different edition of GR... this one https://www.amazon.com/Tom-Clancys-Ghost-Recon-Gold-PC/dp/B00007LVCH

So I should stick with the Focus DVD?

Edited by cryptomorph
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...