Ghost Recon.net Forums
JustNomad

Breakpoint: Betrayal of Concept - Analysis

An indepth analysis on how Ghost Recon Breakpoint doesn't live up to its promises, and why the series needs to look back on what made it special in the first place. Enjoy!

Edited by JustNomad

but what is the identity of Ghost Recon?

Assassins Creed, Farcry, even Splinter Cell have a general identity that Ubi sticks to... Ghost Recon has had no identity as its constantly reimagined to fit different purposes..

Ghost Recon a squad based military sim

tactical shooter...Ghost Recon 2 & Summit Strike

Black Hawk Down action movie...Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1 & 2

corridor shoot 'em up....Ghost Recon Future Soldier

season of Narcos...Wildlands 

Interesting video.

I think there was actually plenty to get excited about with BP pre-release, mostly off the back of how great Wildlands turned out to be, and the obvious huge backing Ubisoft were giving it with the hype wagon. I was certainly hyped for it and I think the gaming community at large was too - which only made the eventual fall so much harder of course.

I don't think FS was as much a failure as the video makes out, it has some amazing features and was really only spoiled by a horrific PC port.

Wildlands benefited from a number of patches and add-ons that turned it into a great game, so good that many have gone back to it rather than stick with BP. I think the video focused on some of the Wildlands negatives - which were pretty minor to be fair, while ignoring all the positives - for example the awesome decision to take GR back to its roots with full player decision making on how to tackle missions.

I would have liked to have seen more of the features in the original GR showcased because we cannot get enough airtime for GR right now to get it back to it's roots!

On 31/12/2019 at 00:40, 5timechamp said:

tactical shooter...Ghost Recon 2 & Summit Strike

Black Hawk Down action movie...Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1 & 2

corridor shoot 'em up....Ghost Recon Future Soldier

season of Narcos...Wildlands 

Great considerations, I think the same! I believe that the essence of GR (for consoles, at least) was maintained until GRAW 2.

With GRFS they have already started to "experiment" with some new mechanics to try to "revitalize" the series, which in my way did not happen.

In Wildland they tried a "war against narcos", which even worked for a while, but then everything becomes boring and repetitive.

With Breakpoint they had a very interesting premise (in my opinion), which is to leave a soldier behind enemy lines and give him the opportunity to survive after a major setback.

However, that is not what we had ... a pity! I hope you come back with GRAW ... how about a GRAW 3 in Rio de Janeiro? I would love!

Thanks!

Aranha