Ghost Recon.net Forums
shakealeg1212

GR Unpopular Opinion thread

I really believe the AI accuracy isn't as bad as GR fans have made it out to be, in fact I believe if the AI accuracy is such an issue then you may not be playing the game right. 

Everytime I rush through a mission by either using the sprint button or engaging anyone I see, I get whipped by the AI. But If i'm careful and taking my time by recon first and engaging enemies I know I can overpower, I can finish missions on Elite without losing a single ghost. 

• Like 1

you may not be playing the game right. 

There's not really a wrong way to play the game though. Playing the game slowly and cautiously might've been the intended style of play the devs encouraged but sprinting everywhere like an operator on crack is an equally valid style of play.

Everytime I rush through a mission by either using the sprint button or engaging anyone I see, I get whipped by the AI.

Works out well enough for me. The only time I go cautiously is when clearing rooms. I find the AI to be fairly predictable so it's not really an issue for me.

21 hours ago, shakealeg1212 said:

I really believe the AI accuracy isn't as bad as GR fans have made it out to be, in fact I believe if the AI accuracy is such an issue then you may not be playing the game right. 

I might go a step further and say "then you might be playing the wrong game".

The Ghost Recon series has NEVER been forgiving. The very first GR game millions of decades ago received the same "arrrrgh de enemy, he iz to super human with his one shot kills!".

Welcome to Ghost Recon: careless = dead.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rocky said:

The very first GR game millions of decades ago received the same "arrrrgh de enemy, he iz to super human with his one shot kills!".

Ghost Recon: Hominid Warfare was a little strange and clunky but I've yet to see any other game capture that feeling of Homo Erectus small unit warfare in the African bushland.

As for OGR's AI accuracy, I'm a little mixed. It makes sense considering the draw distance of the vanilla game and the fact that engagement distances aren't particularly large. On the other hand, I also think that AI aimbots are unacceptable in this day and age. Modern AI is fairly decent at being mobile, utilizing cover, and flanking so making them aimbots on top of that is a little unnecessary.

I think the most irking aspect of AI accuracy is in their loadouts, I can suspend disbelief of an adversaries accuracy as long as the weapon they hold is feasibly capable of the accuracy with which its used...but the loadout of the enemies along with the context under which they display accuracy is whats really annoying...

I really enjoyed the aggression of the Future Soldier AI (linearity of that game im sure  helped in the same way the design of FEARs AI was aided by its settings)......Rainbow Vegas had aggressive AI too but that game was ruined by the AI opponents gradually materializing as the terrorist hunt happened thus negating any "cleared" areas

Honestly, I don't put OGR on the pedestal that some others seem to put it on. It's fun and I enjoy it, but it's numerous limitations prevent me from placing it at the top of realistic tactical shooters. It's streamlined nature does make it quick to get into and easy to sit down for a few quick games, but it only covers a small scope of what's possible. Something like ARMA 3, while clunky, has a ton more options in mission types and more in-depth mechanics.

The AI in OGR is fun to play against, but it really comes down to good mission making and script writing to show true intelligence. There's a difference between the enemy responding well to contact (micro stuff like suppressing fire, flanking, taking cover, etc.) and then showing active intelligence to prevent you from completing your mission (this gets into more macro scale and detailed specifics like setting traps, ambushes, intelligent patrol patterns, larger scale communication, specific actions like hostage execution, etc.). OGR AI does get a good portion of the micro stuff done well while the macro stuff varies depending on how the mission was made. Overall, I do find OGR AI engaging, but it does get predictable and can be taken advantage of.

By far the most engaging AI I've fought is ARMA 3 Zeus. While the enemy is mostly AI, a good Zeus will be able to breathe that extra bit of life and intelligence into the enemy and environment. The enemy is no longer just doing scripted patterns until you decide you want to disrupt it. Zeus can setup more intricate events and introduce unique scenarios that challenge players. One example I remember is being on a mission where one of our team members got wounded and ended up being taken hostage on the spot. Nothing preplanned, nothing scripted. An impromptu action made on the spot. With a good Zeus, you can fight an enemy that is dynamically war gaming with you, not just executing scripted maneuvers that become predictable with enough time.

I've actually toyed around with making a thread along the lines of "OGR isn't realistic, change my mind" to play devil's advocate for the fun of it. I find OGR realistic, but definitely not at the top of what's out there. The claim of OGR being the most realistic tactical shooter is relatively easy to utterly destroy; just prove there are enough limitations to put something else on top. The claim of OGR being realistic would be much harder to defeat and something I wouldn't mind trying to do for fun since I enjoy a good debate.

• Like 1

Wildlands has much better stealth than OGR. Wildlands also has some of the most mediocre stealth gameplay I've ever played. Make of that what you will.

• Like 1

Even though modern computers can easily run Ghost Recon with drastically increased sight lines by removing fog, I find it plays better with fog than without it most of the time.

In all seriousness, it's simple shooting mechanics make long range kind of boring and way too easy with the right weapon. While there are ways to balance it, there is usually some form of serious compromise that has to take place in order to make it work. My favorite maps tend to those with shorter sight lines like jungle maps and those with heavy fog. Urban is interesting, but feels kind of clunky to maneuver through compared to, well...

the-outdoors.jpg

Earlier tonight on Ice Keep (that castle level from Frostbite) in an 18v18 (mostly AI), I picked off 8 guys with a bolt-action unsuppressed sniper rifle with minimal risk to myself except for when someone got close enough to take out my AI teammates and wound both my legs. My response? I got 2 of those 8 kills by just lying prone and aiming at the guys who got close (this is also with Cloak-and-Dagger v1.4 which has increased stabilization times compared to HU).

OGR is simple and plays best when kept that way. The beautiful thing about shorter sight lines is that it greatly limits how much fancy tech (magnified optics, scopes, etc.) help you. For the most part, it pretty much levels the playing field with all combatants. This forces you to focus more on playing smart. Got a nice sniper rifle? Too bad you can't see that far. Got a suppressor? It's stealth value is limited at shorter ranges. Got your super nice automatic grenade launcher? You need to figure out where your enemy is first in order to make the best use of it.

The game mechanics' simplicity lends itself to relatively shorter ranges where the action is quick and intense (except CQB which I find weaker due to its underdeveloped mechanics even with mods).

Edited by Jack Wachter
  • Like 1