Video Tutorial Series

pz3

• 4 months later...

Hi, new here... @pz3: Can you do a "Getting Started Map Building" for either 3ds max 5 or any version of Max (I'm using 2016 ATM, but have the trial version of 5 gathered from the "Heroes Unleashed" Mod via ModDb.com.)

Map Scale, Texturing with .rsb, and Polygon Limitations, [Terrain, Prop and Vegetation Collision Primitives] and Vegetation Application and Poly-Limits, etc. would be very helpful. I am looking to build some maps from other games like R6 Siege, Rogue Spear, or HITMAN (2016).

Edited by DJ LFD

On 14/10/2018 at 12:35, DJ LFD said:

Hi, new here... @pz3: Can you do a "Getting Started Map Building" for either 3ds max 5 or any version of Max (I'm using 2016 ATM, but have the trial version of 5 gathered from the "Heroes Unleashed" Mod via ModDb.com.)

Map Scale, Texturing with .rsb, and Polygon Limitations, [Terrain, Prop and Vegetation Collision Primitives] and Vegetation Application and Poly-Limits, etc. would be very helpful. I am looking to build some maps from other games like R6 Siege, Rogue Spear, or HITMAN (2016).

Follow up on a few of these. Let me start with a basic work flow for learning 

Focus on getting a map rigged and setup. Dont worry about textures and art. Just get it into the game and able to run around in it.

The level builder pdf can be pretty confusing but it has the answers for most of it.

Trial and error through it. Its the best way to learn but not the easiest. Follow along with other tutorials already here on gr.net 

Maps break down into a few things. Room groups, sherman levels, and portals. Once you understand these you have the foundation you need to continue. 

Focus on creating command maps after.

Then focus on lighting. Scripting etc...

Last but not least. Windows,water, glass, doors, trees, destructible items, these all require a little individual rigging or prep. 

Skyboxes are fairly simple as well but ill get into that later. 

Textures are rsb just like any other game model. Less is more. So utilizing atlasses for many objects is important. The terrain can be two maps mixed. A basic color map mixed with a detail texture map. It works and looks ok. 

The polygon limitations are pretty simple. GR does not handle high density mesh well due to its lighting system. 

Create your level in the same style as GR and thats about as good as it gets. Unfortunitly you cant fake it to make it better. 

So things like accurate prebaked lighting, huge texture atlases they dont really improve quality much. I tested it. It works on really small levels but nothing big.

You can create modular levels and assets. Its best to weld it all at the end to prevent collision issues. 

Also do utilize lots and lots of hidden colliders. Geomtery thats more complicated will not offer good collision at all.

Take it step by step and before you know it you will have a map finished. 

Tutorials for trees and vegitation are on gr.net as well. 

Use 3dsm 5 for building the level. You can use other versions for creating mesh but the bulk of work is done in 5. 

This should be confusing sounding and it will be lol. Let me know if you need me to talk about anything. 

Edited by pz3
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

This default settnigs OBJ export for blender 2.8 RC2.

image.thumb.png.58a271928894a117befe7d659b30e14e.png

image.thumb.png.37ed4550fa3d24aa9e7a5fa19e043874.png

__init__.py

image.png.aabfb6220198170aefdcf39900f0eaf9.png

In 2.8 I like many things more, for example, work in the window uv.

Nodal editor of materials works everywhere, context menus are added to the right button as in 3D max and a lot more convenient and enjoyable to work with.

image.thumb.png.1831ad97775e71c8e5d6e541fe7df807.png

image.thumb.png.d2f66015804d195ac7625228006b0b0a.png

Edited by RussiaGhost
  • Like 1
  • Tier 1 Post 1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This video tutorial series absolutely needs to be featured and expanded in the future.

If anyone wants to add tutorial vids, please do so in this thread (here‘s looking at you, Zee, Wombat, Jack etc.) 🙂

2 hours ago, ApexMods said:

This video tutorial series absolutely needs to be featured and expanded in the future.

If anyone wants to add tutorial vids, please do so in this thread (here‘s looking at you, Zee, Wombat, Jack etc.) 🙂

what could I contribute? :')

• Like 1

I have a couple short YT videos from several years ago.

Making Kit Icon Textures with PhotoShop  https://youtu.be/gZzh6sMSci4

For Weapon Sounds:
Calculate Rate of Fire with a calculator to make sustained fire audio file or three round burst file using Audacity. https://youtu.be/m2-KdZwvZKg

Edited by wombat50
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...