Ghost Recon.net Forums
Jack Wachter

Heavy fog mission?

Jotting down a new mission idea that I want to incorporate heavy fog, though I'm not sure how well that would work since I have almost no experience with IGOR.

Basic Premise: a CIA agent has been compromised and is believed to be under interrogation by enemy forces. They have moved the agent multiple times, making it hard to pin the agent's exact position down. Recent intel indicates a likely position for the agent's current location. Your job is to go to the location and question in rescue the agent if present.

Would basically involve outdoor movement to the objective and then some CQB (check your targets, may put other noncombatants in there as well), then outdoor movement back to extraction.

Map: probably a larger jungle map with plenty of vegetation and a good building with enough complexity to be interesting. Jungle Hamlet and Jungle Beach from Heroes Unleashed come to mind as good candidates. Most likely during daytime, but night should work fine and not change how it plays much due to what I want to do.

Weather: this is where I can see this mission getting very interesting. Rain and very heavy fog. And by heavy fog, I mean visibility of 10-15m top. Daytime would put you and the enemy on relatively even playing fields. I don't think night would have much of a difference, but I would probably be a massive jerk and make visibility better without night vision.

Max visibility range extremely limited, dense vegetation to obscure your visibility even further, and then rain for extra noise for both atmospheric purposes and to make enemy sounds harder to detect. Should provide for a very tense mission from start to finish. The conditions would be a double-edged sword: obscures your movement and makes stealth a viable option, but any engagements likely to be decided with minor differences in reaction times between the winners and the dead. Keep your head on a swivel.

So, how does this sound for a mission? Has fog this heavy been done before? Any AI issues with visibility limited to this extreme? I imagine that the way I group the enemies would be extremely important to preserve the stealth aspect of the weather.

Edited by Jack Wachter
  • Like 1

It's been a long time since I played with Igor but you can manually set view distance for the AI which will enable them to see the view distance the fog is set to.

You might want to check the script of the third mission I made for the mod Armenia SCARed. That mission plays in "The Pond" map by Cobaka and the script features a fog that is slowly lifting up, depending on the difficulty level.

Maybe the same mission is included in the mod "The Pond", a stripped down mod featuring only that Map and playable without any expansion packs.

And how to forget the wonderful 12th mission in the Operation Stabilise Mod set in the Swamp original map. I remembed the fog was very thick!

Links

Armenia SCARed

The Pond

Operation Stabilise

EDIT: I confirm the Pond Mod features the same fog script. And by the way I just got my ass kicked! 😄

Edited by Giampi
Check mod

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

On 27/04/2018 at 23:48, Lightspeed said:

It's been a long time since I played with Igor but you can manually set view distance for the AI which will enable them to see the view distance the fog is set to.

Pretty sure I can also just adjust the .env files with a text editor, it's what I've been doing so far to adjust CENTCOM maps. There is one that doesn't seem to be working right thoug, probably worth opening IGOR and taking a look.

7 hours ago, Rocky said:

I'd play it, so long as the enemy forces can't see through the fog either!

That's the idea. Will need to look into the intricacies of the AI to make sure they don't seem too aware of what's going on unless they should be.

3 hours ago, Giampi said:

You might want to check the script of the third mission I made for the mod Armenia SCARed. That mission plays in "The Pond" map by Cobaka and the script features a fog that is slowly lifting up, depending on the difficulty level.

Whenever I actually get to making this, this is definitely something I may implement. Think I could set the fog lifting time to be random so that it varies each time you play?

On 01/05/2018 at 15:15, Jack Wachter said:

Pretty sure I can also just adjust the .env files with a text editor, it's what I've been doing so far to adjust CENTCOM maps. There is one that doesn't seem to be working right thoug, probably worth opening IGOR and taking a look.

I think it's a lot easier than that - you can do it from within Igor - look under Tools >> Environment Editor. 

Max Spotting Distance. As I recall, just set it to the same as the Fog.