Why?

Ecko

I am new here and to the pc side of the old GR games and mods and stuff. But it is very disconcerting to see that literally all the mods in the downloads section of the site have broken download links. I don't know if that is on purpose to force people to spend $47 on a usb stick with all of the mods on it.

How many of the mod authors agreed to you selling their mods? I assume they intended them to be free. If the links are all broken to force people to buy that usb, that is highly illegal, unless they signed something saying it was ok.

It is sad i cannot play any of the awesome mods because of this.

Hi

Sorry you feel this way, however a little bit of background for you.

There are well over 1000 mods in our database that have been downloaded over 3.5m times since the download archive was created over the years. However, internet download services we have used over the years have shut down, ie fileplanet, filefront and others. This required us to upload all these mods several times over the years to keep the archive alive for fans to download these mods for free.

However - hosting these mods is not free - there are two bills to pay every month so that people can download the mods for FREE

Unfortunately though, because some of the download services we have used over the years shutting down, some of download links still point there and will give an error. With over 1,000 mods in the database, it is too big a job to go through them all, identify the broken ones, re-upload then, and publish the new link. However, me and a couple staff did exactly that for many weeks, updating as many as we possibly could.  You are incorrect though to say that most of the downloads are errors, most are working.

That said, when I get an email about a broken link, it is fixed within 24 hours - I think that's pretty good for a free service.

About the mod USB - some people like this idea for two reasons, they get all the mods on one stick without downloading anything, and secondly some of the mods are gigabytes in size and some people do not have an internet connection to download them - so the stick is a good option.

Hope that answers your concerns and if you have specific mods you are having difficulty downloading let me know what they are, and I'll re-upload them to our download server, so you can download it. For free.

• Like 2

I want to also point out that any broken links for Mac mods are my personal fault!

Dropbox completely wiped all of my downloads and I haven't gotten around to fixing them, yet.

Sorry about that. :ph34r:

• Like 1

No need to apologise, it only goes to re-emphasise that keeping downloads available for an extended period of time is fraught with issues that the end user doesn't necessarily appreciate.

We do our best though with the time available!

13 hours ago, Rocky said:

That said, when I get an email about a broken link, it is fixed within 24 hours - I think that's pretty good for a free service.

Rocky and staff have without fail repaired links when I reported them broken, always within 24 hours. There is a link provided for this in every download page if needed.
The USB stick and mailing are not free. It is a good way to get all the mods and help support the site.
Much respect to GR.net now and over the many years.

• Like 2