Dual Monitor Set Up Questions

Currently running a laptop, which is doing me fine for the strategy games I'm playing at the moment, though not so for getting the most out of GR:W's.. so later this year I'll be getting a new desktop PC sorted out.

With that in mind, I'm also considering getting a dual monitor set up.  I've always gone for monitors with low ms, is this really worth it or should I be focusing on other elements?  Would you recommend I go for a PC with two graphic cards, or would a single one do the job just as well?

Cheers in advance for the advice.

144 mhz 

When I bought mine not too long ago G-sync was the rage so I have 144Hz AOC G-Sync , but I am not sure if that tech has been superseded with something new by now.

A lot of my reserach was done at http://forums.blurbusters.com/index.php?sid=0b3563e403f29582d6323320f9010307 - those are hardcore monitor dudes.

Other than that, check the top sellers at overclockers that are in your price range.

I have a dual monitor setup, but only use the second for desktop stuff, not gaming.

Here's mine https://www.scan.co.uk/products/24-aoc-g2460pg-144-hz-g-sync-gaming-display-displayport-1920x1080-350cdm2-80m1-1ms-usb-hub

Gysnc is GeForce only feature.

Buying a monitor is one of the most difficult things for me, everything else was pretty easy. With a GPU , a CPU, a soundcard, a SSD, you know EXACTLY what you are getting. A monitor however doesn't reveal it's strengths and weaknesses until a few weeks of use, and by then i is too late to do anything about it.

I researched for AGES and still am not 100% happy with this monitor, and it was brand new on the market when I got it. 

The superwide option is very nice indeed as Panic says, but the trade off is FPS. You are going to need a god almighty powerful GPUx2 for that kind of resolution.

Rather than remortgage my house :op I decided to go for 1920x1080 and keep my old monitor for productivity when doing desktop work. If money was no object yeh I'd go for something like Panic's, or even a curved one, now they are NICE!!

20 hours ago, Rocky said:

Gysnc is GeForce only feature.

Buying a monitor is one of the most difficult things for me, everything else was pretty easy. With a GPU , a CPU, a soundcard, a SSD, you know EXACTLY what you are getting. A monitor however doesn't reveal it's strengths and weaknesses until a few weeks of use, and by then i is too late to do anything about it.

I researched for AGES and still am not 100% happy with this monitor, and it was brand new on the market when I got it. 

The superwide option is very nice indeed as Panic says, but the trade off is FPS. You are going to need a god almighty powerful GPUx2 for that kind of resolution.

Rather than remortgage my house :op I decided to go for 1920x1080 and keep my old monitor for productivity when doing desktop work. If money was no object yeh I'd go for something like Panic's, or even a curved one, now they are NICE!!

Running from a 970 until 2 weeks ago, not had any framerate issues until I put GRW  on ultra... which became an issue because it's one of the only games that I've ever wanted to play with max visuals. 

I always have this fight in my head... don't buy a bigger monitor because I can't afford the card to run it.... 10 mins later bought a bigger monitor....

Btw would love to try a 144Hz monitor

Keeping eye out for when they start making 144hz 3440x1440 screens :D

144Hz is good, but its not like it is WOW I CANNOT GO BACK!!

I really only notice the difference if I try hard when doing racing games. With 144Hz everything is crystal clear, there is no blurring at all. 

Even if you think you have no blurring, until you go 144Hz you do not know lol.

Like Panic says it is one of the big decisions you have to make, prioritize money on a GPU or a monitor - its a tough call but whatever you decide, I find that after 2 months you forget about all that and just enjoy what you have!

• 2 years later...

Cheers Rocky, that link has since been updated too which is useful.

I never did get around to purchasing a dual set and went with a laptop.  It's done me well, but nearing the point of getting a desktop with the plan to dual monitor at time of purchase.

Really liking the look of AOC C24G1 23.6" Curved - on the right desk I could very much become a poser-PC gamer once again.  Not a bad price either.

So is it the Hz that's important these days?  Always remember looking for a monitor with a good/low MS rate.  Presuming this actually isn't so important?

Its an AOC I have, I'm happy with it but it does have quite a distinct vertical viewing angle issue. Not noticable gaming, but if you are doing photoshop work, colours look different at the bottom of the screen than they do at the top. So while you might think a poor viewing might not be a problem for you, you might be surprised that sitting straight on it can still have an effect.

Your model comes with 144Hz AMD FreeSync, so I assume its an AMD GPU you have?