Wildlands Closed Beta - Press Release

Surprisingly, the beta was live on schedule.

Played maybe a good 20 minutes of it. My first gripe might be that there aren't a lot of plate carriers to choose from.

My second gripe is that the first sicario you encounter has his back turned to you.

I will say that the friendly AI is better than I expected. I'm actually wondering whether they can be spotted at all when they're following you.

9 hours ago, Burner said:

Are you able to run the Steam version stable? Ive heard that the game crashes constanly. Is this just a Windows compatibility issue or a patch issue?

Line of Sight: Vietnam? I run Windows 7 (64-bit), and have never had the Steam version, v1.04, crash on me, but whatever they did to update the game also broke it. Floating corpses, glitched out crawling enemies, you get stuck on objects in the game environment more often than in previous versions, the server browser can't be revived with the Qtracker GameSpy fix, and GameRanger doesn't recognize the new executable. It's a mess. Unless they fix it, I would avoid the Steam version. If you still have a retail copy, stick with it and the latest retail patch, v1.03. The only nice thing about it, that I noticed, was the addition of widescreen resolutions in the video options, though custom resolutions are attainable in previous versions through editing a configuration file. 

Just saw that Retroism also re-released Elite Warriors: Vietnam on Steam. Not sure if they updated it, but I'm hesitant to buy it. Just found a copy at a Goodwill store, anyways! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Evilducky said:

If you havent gotten an invite yet, send me a friend request on Uplay - Evilducky2 - and ill send you one tonight when I get home from work.

I don't have a uplay account,  but I'll make one and get it sorted for you tonight

I've added you, i'm goosebumps2005

Edited by squad_e

What I'm seeing in closed beta at the moment leaves me very underwhelmed.

Doesn't look like there are any white knuckle moments, nothing OGR in this.

Oh well, back to A3.

Ironically, I just watched BlueDrake playing Sniper Ghost Warrior without the knowledge of the level and it was v enjoyable to watch.

How a vid can change one's perspective in a heart beat....

Edited by Lightspeed
  • Like 1

As a sp gamer its underwhelming..

-controls feel floaty

-some of the bugs with gathering intel and interrogations are hopefully just products of the beta

-the squad controls/ai cant be called disappointing given what they would/wouldnt do in future soldier.... 

-Ai teammates serve more as a function to justify the synch shot ability above everything else.. even less personality than Future Soldier.

-Weather effects and nighttime is great, no complaints there.

-my idiot ass keeps pressing "A" to cross thinking roadie run... keep doing it accidently in front of enemies too

Favorite moment so far:

im doing recon to sneak into a Unidad FOB because i have to interrogate a captain there. I go near the gate and start recon with the drone when lo and behold! Not only have the Ai snuck into the Fob but theres 1 ghost a few yards from the target while the other 2 stand guard of the building waiting for me to play my way there..

at this point its no better than any other third person shooter but im a damn victim of the ghost brand

Edited by 5timechamp
  • Like 4

So GRW, where do i begin...

The missions were pretty much all the same, go into a camp, kill/interrogate/find info about something and thats about it
The story/dialogue/voice acting is cringy/cheesy, its so bad i wanted to skip them, it even tries to be funny/cool but fails miserably
On the hardest diff, you do die easily during combat, which is good, but being stealthy is soo easy it didn't matter at all, it was a cakewalk..
AI is abysmal, especially your teamates, they are useless, they couldnt kill anything, and the command interface is so limited it might as well not be there, and for some reason i could only mark 1 person for synch shot (probably some stupid skill to unlock more)
The map is huge.... so i passed most of my time driving&flying to my objectives.... how i love open-world games *sarcasm*
Animations are horrid, i have no idea if this is acceptable over at ubi but i have seen games from 2005 with better combat animations.
Performance was pretty terrible, 40fps on medium, playable but not smooth
You cant pick up carry bodies, in a game with so much emphasis on stealth all i can say is ######, that said bodies disappear in 5secs, cause magic and next-gen and all that jazz.
3rd person combat in this game is...awkward, especially in Close Quarters, cant really explain it.

That said the game is a looker environmentally, the weapons,handling, and sounds are fantastic, and thats about it
I didnt try any coop, im sure the game is fun with friends, like any game, i have no interest in online gaming however, and from what i experienced here GRW is not a good SP game.

What wasted potential.

Edit: On the other hand, i just finished the Ghost Warrior 3 beta, i am surprised how much better it plays/feels, they also offer the season pass for free if you pre-order, so that's nice, i am thinking of saving my money i planned on spending on GR and buy GhostWarrior instead, or SniperElite which also looks nice.

Edited by SCAgent
  • Like 2

So, GTA: Bolivia is good... except for it's not...

I genuinely played it with an open mind, there's going to be no references to the old GR here, just opinions/Semi-rants based off of my experience. 

I spent the first 15 minutes of the game watching cutscenes and waiting for it to load...

It 'loaded' the character customization screen, just so I could wait for the models to actually render which apparently takes 10 minutes to do... 

the appearance options had me laughing my ###### off at how honestly STUPID they were, namely the scars, no option for "oh just a small scar from a busted lip, or maybe some small shrapnel scars" no, we're going all BS with this one you guys, we're talking full Tarantino...

If it wasn't 5.11 product placement, it was Crye, or little at all else. 

The opening cutscene with all the screens frankly was so nauseating I wanted to gouge my own eyes out. 

"hurr durr my friend died now watch as we make BAD SHAKY CAM MOVIES LOOK TAME AS WE UNNECESSARILY CHANGE THE CAMERA ANGLE ON A SCREEN EVERY 2 SECONDS ECAUSE APPARENTLY YOU CAN'T BE TRUSTED TO MAINTAIN FOCUS FOR THAT LONG SO HERE HAVE PRETTY MOVING COLOURS!!"

then I did more cutscenes, the VO genuinely had me howling with laughter at how utterly terrible it was "we weren't there" 2 edgy 5 me, then some exposition then some shadowy dude doing the whole "I don't trust you, earn my trust or i'll kill you" cliche

Then I actually got to playing it, and I thought my framerate was bad, it was, which I'll get to later, but also the animations were contributing to this illusion. 

Veteran difficulty is FAR... TOO... EASY

I had a llama spit in my face and I couldn't kill them, oh what Ubi, you scare PETA will bite you or something? if you're going to have a "vast and living open world" let us kill the ###### you put in, yeah? except for the kids maybe, that will stir up controversy. 

And as for performance, my PC isn't exactly top of the range, but it's half decent I'd say, but as usual any game running Nvidia Gameworks tanks AMD based machines, GG ubi, GG... i'd have expected this to run nicely on medium settings considering that while it's not the most powerful AMD based machine, it's up there in their semi-top tier, it kinda has to be for what I do with it. 

and that's when I thought... I have better things to do, like make models for Ground Branch... so I quit the game and opened max, something that actually requires a brain cell to use...

Not impressed, not impressed at all. 

Edited by Zeealex
  • Like 3

But, but, but, you can shoot chickens!

Seriously though, it sounds like you need to spend a bit more time in game doing the usual tweaks to find the best settings for your machine, then get down to the gameplay.

Don't forget, co-op is where it's at :o)

• Like 1

nah, Max is where it's at, I need to recover the IQ points i just lost playing a glorified advertisement of 5.11 gear...

"the usual tweaks" would have me on virtually low settings, despite the machine being more than capable of high settings. 

#ChickenLivesMatter

Edited by Zeealex
  • Like 1

The fact that there are no Crye plate carriers available is odd considering multitude of other Crye gear available. 

The vehicle handling is just... bad. Really bad. It reminds me too much of the first Watch Dogs. Don't even get me started on the helicopter. 

• Like 1

whoever thought putting shift and W as the "forward" control needs to be slapped... hard... with a chair, and maybe a glass bottle.

... calm, Zee, I am one with the max, the max is with me, I am one with the max, the max is with me...

Edited by Zeealex
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zeealex said:

... calm, Zee, I am one with the max, the max is with me, I am one with the max, the max is with me...

That reminds me, Rogue One is still out. Maybe I'll go watch it again instead of having to suffer through terrible vehicle handling.

Just for fun, I decided to compare the front pages of the Ghost Recon and For Honor subreddits. Guess which sub was full of memes and guess which one was full of complaints?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lightspeed said:

Rocky, you sound like you have an agenda. :) I trust what these ppl ate saying and from what I've seen rrcently snd seen in the comments just now, it sounds cringy.

Okay, you trust a comment based on virtually zero gameplay and a few moans about not being able to shoot lama's, and a PC not powerful to run it, and crummy voice acting, your loss - meanwhile I'll be enjoying some 4 player co-op :o)

Each to their own, but you can shove your agenda comment ... oh wait, there's a smilie....

• Like 1

Im on the fence. I want to like this game because I am tired of the rough edges of Ama3, but combat is too easy with enemy AI having slow reaction time. It's a shame because the world is beautiful and I would like to use the cover of night and rain to slowly approach a mission but it's hardly a necessity so why bother.

Missions seem repetitive so far, with the worst being "activate something and then defend the place against hordes of approaching bots." Also I see way too often opportunities to release prisoners so that they provide support: this smacks of Far Cry and AC.

The world itself is something to look at, but performance could be better too.

Gotta admit, I do enjoy sniping. It's a lot more fun than I expected.

I can confirm that your team AI does get spotted but it takes much longer for the enemy to do so.

The bosses in Itacua were pretty underwhelming, tbh. The story missions as a whole were uninteresting. I had more fun doing the side missions.

Edited by nyleken

as for the rest of y'all, settle down grumpy bums :) 

I'm hoping they take the feedback seriously, that's all i'm going to say, Wildlands has the chance to be great but in my own experience its far too unpolished for release, I really don't want Ubi to drop the ball here. 

• Like 2