Jump to content
Ghost Recon.net Forums
Rocky

Ghost Recon is 15 years old today! Post your memories!

Recommended Posts

LONG LIVE GHOST RECON!

Ghost Recon has provided me with so many amazing memories, whether it be the competitive games, the community, this website, the mods, the players, new friends, meeting the dev team, so many highs!

For me it still remains what it was always meant to be, a fantastic gaming experience.

To celebrate this amazing anniversary we are running a month of features right through November and into December so keep checking the news page for exclusive Ghost Recon interviews, competitions and prizes.

We've already kicked off with a massive update to Heroes Unleashed and a brand new 64Gb mod collection on USB flash drive for anyone that cannot download this 15Gb monster of a mod!  

What is your prevailing memory of Ghost Recon?!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Birthday, Ghost Recon! :flowers:

15 years of tactical realism excellence! I'll have to return to this thread when I'm less exhausted, to reminisce about the greatest tactical FPS of all times.

Long live the King! Long live Ghost Recon!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you know that?!

 

GR was based on cutting Edge Technology at the time in 2001? 

Part of this cutting edge tech was something called the "threat indicator". 

threat-mock.gif

 

I would later join the Army and be in one of the first units to test the real "threat indicator".

It looked almost indentical to what you see in GR. However it only detected incoming supersonic rounds.

GRs story took place in 2008. The threat indicator was field tested in 2009.

This is what the system looks like. Zoom in on the Digital display (bottom left) and you might see the similarities!

download.jpg

 

Now you Know!

P.S. On a real note. The real threat indicator is a lot more deadly then it looks. Very cool tech to have on a battlefield!

Edited by pz3
I suck at typing + pics
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's some reminiscence. I remember when I first got my hands on the Ghost Recon demo. I think that never ever before have I spent so much time in a single mission of any game. It was a (gamer)life-altering experience that planted the seed for an obsession lasting one and a half decades so far, with no sign of subsiding any time soon.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll never forget feelings of vulnerability, tenseness, and fear the first time i played GR on my Gamecube back in 2004. A video game never had that kind of hold on me before or since. 

I remember after clearing the caves and leading papashvili back to the extraction zone i was standing upright with the controller in my hand glued to the tv. i couldnt sit down because i was so nervous about losing the POW in an ambush. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe not a memory in the above sense, but something that underlines the importance of Ghost Recon as a genre defining and, more importantly, conventions defying development milestone came to me much later in the game's life, when I learned about the mind and the man behind its creation, and I discovered an approach to game development deeply rooted in philosophy and epistemology, with a mind-blowing perspective on the intricate connections between play and both individual and societal achievement, revolutionarily free of ideological boundaries between game and art.

I don't want to delve into it too far at this point, but let me just leave this here for now:

Upton Quote.jpg

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was fairly new to computers when I first played GR and learned allot about computers just playing GR.
The machine I started out on had 64 MB's of RAM and on board graphics that had 4mb of memory.
Often my character would spin in circles on his own but and upgrade to 128 MBs of RAM cured that.
It was probably a year before I had a decent computer.

Another memory was the pre-game feeling of I might throw up when playing in co-op tournaments.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My fondest memories go back to the early days of LAN sessions with a group of friends. Luckily, I always had a number of Macs at home, so people visiting for e.g. Saturday morning brunch would often end up staying for "a quick co-op session" that would usually last at least until deep into the night, with more and more friends joining in throughout the day. We had so much fun, more often than not those "quick sessions" would turn into all-nighters that destroyed any previously-made Saturday night (as well as Sunday morning) plans, and seriously enriched the nearest pizza delivery in the process.

This was a regular occurrence back in the good old days. It still happens once in a (usually very long) while, nowadays, and when it does, it's still as much fun as back then, if not even more so. Even after 15 years, the game has not lost its touch when it comes to completely forgetting the time over playing. There's rarely a gaming session with Ghost Recon that won't last at least a couple of hours, even today.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reporting in!

 

Build a new computer before the game was released so I can play it properly

To this day I still have this machine on storage

PIII 800MHZ

256MB RAM

Nvidia Geforce 2 with 32 MB

Sound Blaster live

56k modem

 

Then a few weeks later they dropped the Demo with the Castle Map (Took three tries and over an hour for less than 100mb demo game on dial up) and I was blown away.

Still have my boxed games and I even have the Strategy Manual  and some CD disk that came with R6 Blackthorn called "The making of GR" or something like that.

 

I don't play the game like I used to be but I fire up OGR once or twice a year

Edited by Sgt. Atoa
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most definitely, the most memorable gaming moment in my life was playing OGR. Before OGR, I had never played a military combat game nor had I ever experienced online multi-player. I had no idea what it was like. 

My best buddy had the game too so he convinced me to meet him in OGR online. I remember clicking the join game button and... 

... suddenly my world was black and the Mission 1 castle was glowing bright green in front of me (NVGs) . I turned and was startled to see my friend (GR NPC)  standing next to me and then hearing his voice! It was a total "holy crap"  moment. I had entered an alternate reality.  I remember all my core muscles tightening and the real world fading from my awareness as I was totally immersed in this new world.  

It was truly one of those very rare moments where you get pulled out of reality. I was in an alternate world, it was nighttime and I was in a combat situation. When an enemy deuce and a half pulled up and started to unload tangoes, I could literally feel the adrenaline surging. 

It was a surreal gaming moment that I will never see the likes of again... unless Virtual Reality improves by leaps and bounds. It's a moment I'll never forget! 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice memorys.

But what you describe is indeed what has developed into VR. Now you can play games and you really can be immersed in another world!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That simple little demo led me to buy my first full fledged PC game which in turn led to many hours of thrilling enjoyment. Still play form time to time and it's still a blast.:flowers:Playing the Operation Stronghold campaign now. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give this a little bump-a-roo.

OGR was dope. I played Rogue Spear and some motocross game on MSN Gaming Zone on my sweet 56k, but it was pretty on and off (much like the POS connection). Ghost Recon was the first game I put a TON of hours into though. I went straight-up computer nerd cave-dweller with OGR; headset, microphone, teamspeak, you-this-is-me tactical talk. Total cringe. I forked out the big bucks going from a TNT2 to a GeForce 4. The dark ages when you had to wait for all your crew to go out and physically purchase the expansion packs before you could get together for multiplayer, instead of now where you can just be like "Yeah Steam is about done downloading it, BRB in five". Getting mad beyond belief because "an Ethiopian Soldier" would head shot you from half a map away.

Multiplayer co-op up to nine (whoooaaaa)! Friday / weekend games were the regular here, we had a GRNET server at one point, our own forum team that rocked some co-op tournaments. Fun times. Still the best online gaming community I've been apart of.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeh digital download FTW, it took me along time to buy into not having a retail box, but I get it now.

True story Sart, I was cleaning out my HD last week and came across an old mp3 recording of you and me, trying to connect on teamspeak LOL "Sart, are you there,... Sart...?" LOL.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually bought GR only few months after the release as I purchased the Collector Pack with DS expansion, a tactical guide and the logo patch. I uremember very well that I bought it just because of the DS expansione being set in Eritrea, country much beloved by me.

One month later I started to play some mods, having approacheg GR.net that changed my life, and immediately contacted Jack57 to congratulate wih him after played the mission 2 of his Saving Pilot Ryan campaign. The rest is history!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2017 at 22:17, Sart said:

Give this a little bump-a-roo.

OGR was dope.

Word!

What up Sart ?!

Been meaning to chime in with my two cents worth on this thread....keep forgetting..comes with age ;-)

Pull up a chair and reminisce with me....

Sometime in  2001 I bought my first computer. Prior to that I was a console gamer. My first computer was a Pentium II 550mhz with 128 megs of ram and a whopping 13 GB hard drive(holdyour laughter)....Soundblaster 16 sound card and I cant even remember my videocard at the time. Back then I was into pure NHL and FIFA games on my PC...the graphics killed the ps1 lolz. One of my co-workers had a computer before me and was into mostly flight-sims. One day he told me I should check out this game ...something called Ghost Recon. I borrowed his disc to give it a whirl and was hooked. So I went out and bought the game 'cause he kept bothering me for his disc back.

Him and I would play together every night after work.....for hours. Back then I was a total nOOb to the 'net.....spent most of my time on Napster. I would host and he and I would kill tangos together...all the while we would be on the phone co-ordinating tactics as I had no clue about TeamSpeak or chat programs. I swear I had a permanent kink in my neck from holding the phone to my ear whilst gaming back then lolz. Then I found the All Seeing Eye....which was like Game Ranger back then. So we would join random games with people....took GR to a whole new level. 

A lot of servers on ASE would run a certain mod....of which I shall not speak the name of. In my web searches for this mod and other GR related mods I stumbled across ghostrecon.net. I remember signing up and posting here inquiring about the mod....and my threads would always get deleted pretty quickly. I was like...huh?! Did a couple of searches.....and found out the issue with said 'mod'.

Coming across this website....well that opened up a whole new world for me. I would lurk around...occasional posts...and I was a total fiend for the Download section. Back in those days it wasn't like it is now with blazing internet speeds and all that. Living in Canada I had a decent cable connection....1meg download speeds (yeh hold your laughter once again....lots of peeps were on dial up 28k or 56k). Still mods sometimes would take better part of hour....and Frostbite was one of those mods you started the download of and then went to bed...hoping it would be finished in the a.m.

Getting bored of playing with my co-worker as he was a serious Rambo...some of you OGs probably know who I am talking of..I looked to find some players who would enhance the experience. The games room section here of the forums was my answer. WhiteKnight used to host on weekends in the afternoons here a lot back in tha' day. So one day I grew a pair and downloaded TeamSpeak and decided to enter the fray with the big boys. Can't remember who was playing other than WK...pretty sure NightCrawler was also on the server. 

And so my eyes were opened to what GR could be....

After that....I was hooked more than ever. Jamming with WhiteKnight and them was awesome! Having all humans and no AI....ahh happy happy joy joy!!

Getting into GR in this way made me realize my rig could not handle some of the more intense maps. Though I must say the netcode for GR was awesome...considering my rig specs. Time for an upgrade. So I bought a Dell 4300 with windows Millenium...pentium 3 1.5ghz and 512 ram with a 128meg Radeon vid card....yeh hold those chuckles in once more ;-) but it was a significant upgrade over my windows98  pentium II.

So gettting over my nervousness of playing with strangers I would soon start hosting my own games over the weekend. Pretty much every Friday and Saturday night for a couple years Havok's House was online from 8 or 9 pm until whenever...usually until 1am or 2am....or later. Seriously...I was a GR fiend...I was still also playing EVERY night after work with my co-worker. And GR led to me getting into Rogue Spear....Sum of All Fears etc.

Having random peeps connect and running missions or firefights was cool. Started to be a bunch of regulars...mostly NYR32 and DarkRanger...Sart....El Nino....Feyhd...PrivateB..so many peeps...memories come flooding back.

Made a lot of good friends playing GR. Can remember when the HX mods came out.....running HX200 firefights pushing that Dell to the limits lolz.

 

Then after a while I remember being asked to try out for the GRNET squad....at the time they were involved in the Azz Cup. It came about as NYR and DarkRanger were already in the squad...and those two dudes were regulars on my weekend server nights. I could go on and on with memories of the GRNET squad....that was soo much fun and honestly I was so amazed and honoured to be approached to join GRNET squad. Yeh sure it's a video game...but still.

And I can vividly remember my first deployment with the GRNET squad...in the Azz Cup on the OGR map Mountain map. Azz Cup scripted mines into the map. I remember being nervous as shiznit deploying the first time..so worried I would mess up. I knew I had some skills....but playing in a competitive tourney with mostly strangers...guys who had reps online....T1...PaveLow...Rocky....trust me I was wearing diapers LMFAO on that mission.

So we deploy and I swear like less than ten minutes into the mission I stepped on a frickin' mine......seriously?!?!?! Luckily mines could be de-activated by another sqaud member...pretty sure WeeBoz came and saved my ass. Can't remember the outcome of that mission but I wasn't the first to die lolz....and that's all that matters yeh ?

Azz Cup was fun....went from stepping on a mine to I think it was the last mission in Azz Cup tourney on the Fortress/Wilderness map where at the end it was just Sart and I who were left to complete the mission. Oh...I could go on and on with the fun times and missions I had with Rocky and the rest of GRNET squad....methinks maybe that will be another post though. Could make a whole post about ZeroAlpha and his training sessions lmao ;-)

Then NYR32, DarkRanger and I became the Recon squad for GRNET squad...always Charlie squad in tourneys. Fine tuned fireteam...just don't mention AS squad The Farm mission....woulda killed that mission but for my glitch.

GR was more than a game back then....it was a sense of community....fun times no matter age...or race....or sex...or timezone. 

Spinning off from that, GRNET squad branched off into Joint Ops and ladder play....and so was born Tactical Elite, actually born before that once we started entering GR competitions...Azz Cup, Apha Squad etc. Funny thing speaking of TE. I just recently started hanging out ghostrecon.net again....oddly enough I was living up waaaaay north and had no internet. So I re-installed Gr and got re-hooked. Probably has been like 5 or 6 years since I logged in here. Guess Rocky changed the filemanager as my sig was no longer displaying in the forums. I searched high and low on old discs and the like for my sig to no avail. Then I got a brainstorm.....Internet Way Back Machine....let's check TE.net. Wow....there is my old sig again....and lots of other cool stuff come flooding back.

And to be honest...due to my RL situation for some of the time I was playing GR fierce back then....well my life was kinda crap....and GR was a huge escape for me. Okay sure GR is a game and not the be all and end all....but it was a welcome escape. And being part of the grnet squad and feeling like part of a team....well that meant a lot to me then. I made some good friends and have so many awesome memories of those times.

So like Sart said.....OGR was DOPE....and then some!! From chicken wars to GL wars to pistol battles and beyond. GRAW and all that never did it for me....nothing compared to the classic. I gave up on upgrading my rig for every new game that came out....much easier to go to the dark side and consoles lolz.....ps3.

But after having recently ran through the OGR campaign again controlling the AI....oh do I crave the MP aspect of GR! And being a 15 yrs old game or not.....I am hooked again. And tbh.....my laptop now is 5 times what my old Dell was. GR looks so nice in DX12 with a computer that can handle it at full video settings. Look for a resurrection of Havok's House in the coming weeks....online hosting over the weekends. As Justin Timberlake says.....I'm bringing Sexy back.....or Ghost Recon back....(ok that was cheese but ya get the drift ;-) )

And yeh sure all the new games these days have the eye candy and AAA graphics....but honestly...for me....the gameplay and immersion of OGR makes you forget about the graphics. And for me nothing compares to OGR.

 

So thanks for listening to my rambling....us OGs are prone to that ;-)

And big props to the boss Rocky....ghostrecon.net is still going strong after all these years. That in itself says a lot. Amazing!!

I've signed up to Steam and am in the process of building a new gaming rig to come back to the light side....damn my console. Add me if you want....grnet-havok.

Shout out to all those OGs as well......Rocky , Sartillies ;-) , NYR32, DarkRanger, WhiteKnight, El Nino, T1, PaveLow, BajaBravo, NightCrawler, PrivateB, ZeroAlpha, Feyhd, ZJJ, Zantar45, Weeboz, PotShot, Warhawk and so many others I am probably forgetting....no disrespect. Give me a break....I'm old and don't remember so well. *rolls eyes*

 

LONG LIVE OGR....and GHOSTRECON.NET !!

p.s. Any of the old crew...hit me up...be cool to re-connect and get into some games.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

gr8 post Havok - GR has been a life journey for me too, and I went the full spectrum from SP, some very basic Coop with threat indicator on, to PvP, to serious Coop with AS, to mission editing, to tournament hosting, and finally, doing what I still do, recreating GR in the Arma series. GR is in my DNA now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Havok said:

Word!

What up Sart ?!

Been meaning to chime in with my two cents worth on this thread....keep forgetting..comes with age ;-)

Pull up a chair and reminisce with me....

Sometime in  2001 I bought my first computer. Prior to that I was a console gamer. My first computer was a Pentium II 550mhz with 128 megs of ram and a whopping 13 GB hard drive(holdyour laughter)....Soundblaster 16 sound card and I cant even remember my videocard at the time. Back then I was into pure NHL and FIFA games on my PC...the graphics killed the ps1 lolz. One of my co-workers had a computer before me and was into mostly flight-sims. One day he told me I should check out this game ...something called Ghost Recon. I borrowed his disc to give it a whirl and was hooked. So I went out and bought the game 'cause he kept bothering me for his disc back.

Him and I would play together every night after work.....for hours. Back then I was a total nOOb to the 'net.....spent most of my time on Napster. I would host and he and I would kill tangos together...all the while we would be on the phone co-ordinating tactics as I had no clue about TeamSpeak or chat programs. I swear I had a permanent kink in my neck from holding the phone to my ear whilst gaming back then lolz. Then I found the All Seeing Eye....which was like Game Ranger back then. So we would join random games with people....took GR to a whole new level. 

A lot of servers on ASE would run a certain mod....of which I shall not speak the name of. In my web searches for this mod and other GR related mods I stumbled across ghostrecon.net. I remember signing up and posting here inquiring about the mod....and my threads would always get deleted pretty quickly. I was like...huh?! Did a couple of searches.....and found out the issue with said 'mod'.

Coming across this website....well that opened up a whole new world for me. I would lurk around...occasional posts...and I was a total fiend for the Download section. Back in those days it wasn't like it is now with blazing internet speeds and all that. Living in Canada I had a decent cable connection....1meg download speeds (yeh hold your laughter once again....lots of peeps were on dial up 28k or 56k). Still mods sometimes would take better part of hour....and Frostbite was one of those mods you started the download of and then went to bed...hoping it would be finished in the a.m.

Getting bored of playing with my co-worker as he was a serious Rambo...some of you OGs probably know who I am talking of..I looked to find some players who would enhance the experience. The games room section here of the forums was my answer. WhiteKnight used to host on weekends in the afternoons here a lot back in tha' day. So one day I grew a pair and downloaded TeamSpeak and decided to enter the fray with the big boys. Can't remember who was playing other than WK...pretty sure NightCrawler was also on the server. 

And so my eyes were opened to what GR could be....

After that....I was hooked more than ever. Jamming with WhiteKnight and them was awesome! Having all humans and no AI....ahh happy happy joy joy!!

Getting into GR in this way made me realize my rig could not handle some of the more intense maps. Though I must say the netcode for GR was awesome...considering my rig specs. Time for an upgrade. So I bought a Dell 4300 with windows Millenium...pentium 3 1.5ghz and 512 ram with a 128meg Radeon vid card....yeh hold those chuckles in once more ;-) but it was a significant upgrade over my windows98  pentium II.

So gettting over my nervousness of playing with strangers I would soon start hosting my own games over the weekend. Pretty much every Friday and Saturday night for a couple years Havok's House was online from 8 or 9 pm until whenever...usually until 1am or 2am....or later. Seriously...I was a GR fiend...I was still also playing EVERY night after work with my co-worker. And GR led to me getting into Rogue Spear....Sum of All Fears etc.

Having random peeps connect and running missions or firefights was cool. Started to be a bunch of regulars...mostly NYR32 and DarkRanger...Sart....El Nino....Feyhd...PrivateB..so many peeps...memories come flooding back.

Made a lot of good friends playing GR. Can remember when the HX mods came out.....running HX200 firefights pushing that Dell to the limits lolz.

 

Then after a while I remember being asked to try out for the GRNET squad....at the time they were involved in the Azz Cup. It came about as NYR and DarkRanger were already in the squad...and those two dudes were regulars on my weekend server nights. I could go on and on with memories of the GRNET squad....that was soo much fun and honestly I was so amazed and honoured to be approached to join GRNET squad. Yeh sure it's a video game...but still.

And I can vividly remember my first deployment with the GRNET squad...in the Azz Cup on the OGR map Mountain map. Azz Cup scripted mines into the map. I remember being nervous as shiznit deploying the first time..so worried I would mess up. I knew I had some skills....but playing in a competitive tourney with mostly strangers...guys who had reps online....T1...PaveLow...Rocky....trust me I was wearing diapers LMFAO on that mission.

So we deploy and I swear like less than ten minutes into the mission I stepped on a frickin' mine......seriously?!?!?! Luckily mines could be de-activated by another sqaud member...pretty sure WeeBoz came and saved my ass. Can't remember the outcome of that mission but I wasn't the first to die lolz.

Azz Cup was fun....went from stepping on a mine to I think it was the last mission in Azz Cup tourney on the Fortress/Wilderness map where at the end it was just Sart and I who were left to complete the mission. Oh...I could go on and on with the fun times and missions I had with Rocky and the rest of GRNET squad....methinks maybe that will be another post though. Could make a whole post about ZeroAlpha and his training sessions lmao ;-)

Then NYR32, DarkRanger and I became the Recon squad for GRNET squad...always Charlie squad in tourneys. Fine tuned fireteam...just don't mention AS squad The Farm mission....woulda killed that mission but for my glitch.

GR was more than a game back then....it was a sense of community....fun times no matter age...or race....or sex...or timezone. 

Spinning off from that, GRNET squad branched off into Joint Ops and ladder play....and so was born Tactical Elite, actually born before that once we started entering GR competitions...Azz Cup, Apha Squad etc. Funny thing speaking of TE. I just recently started hanging out ghostrecon.net again....oddly enough I was living up waaaaay north and had no internet. So I re-installed Gr and got re-hooked. Probably has been like 5 or 6 years since I logged in here. Guess Rocky changed the filemanager as my sig was no longer displaying in the forums. I searched high and low on old discs and the like for my sig to no avail. Then I got a brainstorm.....Internet Way Back Machine....let's check TE.net. Wow....there is my old sig again....and lots of other cool stuff come flooding back.

And to be honest...due to my RL situation for some of the time I was playing GR fierce back then....well my life was kinda crap....and GR was a huge escape for me. Okay sure GR is a game and not the be all and end all....but it was a welcome escape. And being part of the grnet squad and feeling like part of a team....well that meant a lot to me then. I made some good friends and have so many awesome memories of those times.

So like Sart said.....OGR was DOPE....and then some!! From chicken wars to GL wars to pistol battles and beyond. GRAW and all that never did it for me....nothing compared to the classic. I gave up on upgrading my rig for every new game that came out....much easier to go to the dark side and consoles lolz.....ps3.

But after having recently ran through the OGR campaign again controlling the AI....oh do I crave the MP aspect of GR! And being a 15 yrs old game or not.....I am hooked again. And tbh.....my laptop now is 5 times what my old Dell was. GR looks so nice in DX12 with a computer that can handle it at full video settings. Look for a resurrection of Havok's House in the coming weeks. As Justin Timberlake says.....I'm bringing Ghost Recon back....(ok that was cheese but ya get the drift ;-) )

And yeh sure all the new games these days have the eye candy and AAA graphics....but honestly...for me....the gameplay and immersion of OGR makes you forget about the graphics. And for me nothing compares to OGR.

 

So thanks for listening to my rambling....us OGs are prone to that ;-)

And big props to the boss Rocky....ghostrecon.net is still going strong after all these years. That in itself says a lot. Amazing!!

I've signed up to Steam and am in the process of building a new gaming rig to come back to the light side....damn my console. Add me if you want....grnet-havok.

Shout out to all those OGs as well......Rocky , Sartillies ;-) , NYR32, DarkRanger, WhiteKnight, El Nino, T1, PaveLow, BajaBravo, NightCrawler, PrivateB, ZeroAlpha, Feyhd, ZJJ, Zantar45, Weeboz, PotShot, Warhawk and so many others I am probably forgetting....no disrespect. Give me a break....I'm old and don't remember so well. *rolls eyes*

 

LONG LIVE OGR....and GHOSTRECON.NET !!

p.s. Any of the old crew...hit me up...be cool to re-connect and get into some games.

 

Don't know why I am quoting my own reply....meant to reply to Lightspeed's reply....could be the wine lolz...yo Lightspeed I got mad respect for you and your contributions to GR,,,,lots of missions and all that. Played your missions enough,,,you are one those people I forgot to mention lolz...as well as the AS Squad. Never had the honour to deploy with you. Maybe we can Deploy one day.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2016 at 02:35, pz3 said:

Did you know that?!

GR was based on cutting Edge Technology at the time in 2001? 

Part of this cutting edge tech was something called the "threat indicator". 

threat-mock.gif

Now you Know!

P.S. On a real note. The real threat indicator is a lot more deadly then it looks. Very cool tech to have on a battlefield!

Image result for what the Gif

Edited by Burner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Havok said:

Don't know why I am quoting my own reply....meant to reply to Lightspeed's reply....could be the wine lolz...yo Lightspeed I got mad respect for you and your contributions to GR,,,,lots of missions and all that. Played your missions enough,,,you are one those people I forgot to mention lolz...as well as the AS Squad. Never had the honour to deploy with you. Maybe we can Deploy one day.

 

 

Sounds good to me. Not sure if you play Arma 3 but still cranking out GR style mossions and campaigns. With the A3 editor tricks and tools, I think ppl would have a hard time saying its not GR on steroids. It's come a long way!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I played one of Lightspeeds missions yesterday. I can attest to this. It's a lot of fun.

Worth noting, Arma is a bit complex and does take some time to get the mods together. Lightspeed was kind enough to give me some tips after I did a Youtube video of my play through. Not all of the keys and options are self explanatory. My team was pretty gimpy after being shot up. Apparently there's a key to force a medic to assist others... who knew!?

Thanks Lightspeed :)

 

Edited by EasyCo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great post Havoc.

Time playing with the GRNET co-op team will always be tremendous find memories.

I can remember the first time I was ever asked to play in a co-op mission, with comms (Roger Wilco comms not phone LMAO) - I think it was with Alpha Squad, and I had absolutely no clue how a co-op game was played in a competitive environment - right after that I was hooked though.

One enduring memory competitive involved getting some data back to the extract point, before time ran out. The entire squad made it to extract apart from NYR32, who had to sprint like the clappers, with enemy tangos still patrolling the areas, over a large part of the map to make it to the rest of the team. It had been a challenge to get to extract and we were all totally stressed to the max - NYR had to make it back, or the mission was a failure! With the clock ticking down and us yelling like excited kids, he made it over a small bridge and into extract. Mission complete. The feeling of relief and achievement was awesome!

I'll always be thankful for the work, effort and innovation that the squads running competitive co-op games put into the scene, it was a huge time commitment, but everybody got so much out of it.

I've just been back look at the Tactical Elite site, I had forgotten so much about those days, really great days - great guys, great games.

ps, Havoc, isn't steam such a fricking pain when it comes to adding friends, it just never works for me! I tried to add "grnet-havok" and it said no member!

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, EasyCo said:

I played one of Lightspeeds missions yesterday. I can attest to this. It's a lot of fun.

Worth noting, Arma is a bit complex and does take some time to get the mods together. Lightspeed was kind enough to give me some tips after I did a Youtube video of my play through. Not all of the keys and options are self explanatory. My team was pretty gimpy after being shot up. Apparently there's a key to force a medic to assist others... who knew!?

Thanks Lightspeed :)

 

No worries mate. The A3 squad control system is really powerful actually and full of commands. Takes a bit of time to learn them but once you have a few key ones down there is a lot you can do with your men.

I get the sense lately that a new era of old school  GR coop could be about to kickoff. Something's afoot! 

So I have to share  my  discovery of GR coop. I was late to discover coop as i played 2 years of the most amazing pvp ever. Thinking back on the quality of the netcode back in 2001-2003 now actually, we were playing 9v9v9v9 with no lag. We played this awesome game mode called Total Random Respawns. Every player had 5 lives and when you died you would respawn on one of 20 possible respawn points. The random nature of it meant a game could quickly change from winning to losing or vice versa.

Anyways back to coop. Someone tells me to check out AS and I head to the server. The first words I see were something like 'GR the way it's meant to be played'. Meanwhile, this sound file started playing in the background and I can hear radio communications from a mission reconing tangos and coordinating squad tactics, it sounded intense.

Then I joined the server. Instructions were clear, serious play, no respawns (######!?@?), work as a team, use proper radio protocol, do as Command orders, if you die, keep quiet and wait for next mission. Holy ######! Life matters more than ever, true white knuckle gaming. Blew my mind!

And so spawned my love of coop and a deeper love of GOML (The Game of My Life).

All the mission making on Igor and then the Arma series has been about my dream to keep OGR alive and relive the white knuckle coop gaming experience that few other games have delivered.

Funnily enough, in my attempts to cater for the SP gamer, i have tested all my missions in SP and find myself falling in love with SP again. Just you and 5 AI Ghosts relying on you to get them home safe. 

GR4LYFE

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×