Windows 10 out for free for windows 7 & 8 users

Papa6

IF you are using windows 7/8/8.1, I suggest you go the upgrade route because it works free without the serial key. MS seems to have gotten it right. the kinks out. I thought they would knacker this windows.

but all seems to be calm. no issues. here is the link for free upgrading

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

you can create an .iso file and idid and burned it to a DVD. but I have no serial key. so PERHAPS, I'm trying to verify if the x64 creation tool, which at the link is called the download tool. get it! we have one year for free upgrading before you have to buy it afterward.

Papa6

• Like 4

Downloading it now to burn the iso to a DVD then apply the upgrade to a clean windows 7 I have on a new HD.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10

You can install from an ISO, a USB, or a DVD. Here's how:

• Mount the ISO, and then run setup.exe from it.

• If you downloaded to a USB or a DVD, run setup.exe from the USB or DVD.

Both of these options allow you to upgrade the PC if it's already running Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, orWindows 10.

• Like 1

I'd say its not really worth it at this point, people out there are having lots of troubles and are already reverting back to win7 or 8.1

Really? That sucks. I'm running Windows 7 and hate it. The wife is running Windows 8.1, and she hates that. We were hoping to upgrade soon. :(

I'd say its not really worth it at this point, people out there are having lots of troubles and are already reverting back to win7 or 8.1

I heard just the opposite. And despite my GR issue I would say mine is running pretty well.

I would wait Rocky, only problems I have seen are those people who, downloaded the iso without upgrading from 7 or 8 via Windows update first. Once it is tied to your account you will be fine but for now I think it needs proof you owned one of the required OSes. Hence the no Key requirement.

It depends on if you choose to upgrade or clean install, in a sense. Either will leave your secondary hard drive intact, but an upgrade will both not wipe your OS drive, but leave (barring issue) your programs and preferences intact, on both drives. A clean install will wipe the OS drive, but also any ties from your OS to the second drive. It will be just files, readable, but with no ties to any programs except defaults.

Forget the OS. It's the type of install you do that's important, and this affects any upgrade capable OS.

You can upgrade Windows, from basically any recent version to any newer version, and all that does is update your OS to the newer sort, sort of like installing a Service Pack. If you choose to upgrade, it overwrites your OS files, updates some settings, but touches few other files.

A clean install wipes the drive/partition the OS is on, and installs the OS with no concern for existing data, which is erased during the install. This means no programs, drivers, etc. but also means the OS doesn't have years of prior modifications to deal with.

So, if you choose the Window Update "upgrade" to Windows 10, you get an upgrade, which keeps as many of your existing files and settings as it can. If you go for a "clean install", you must use the "media creation tool" (Google it) and either have a serial key, or (I understand) upgrade first, then clean install.

That being said, I think you are right, though misunderstanding the differences.

• Like 1

I heard just the opposite. And despite my GR issue I would say mine is running pretty well.

I would wait Rocky, only problems I have seen are those people who, downloaded the iso without upgrading from 7 or 8 via Windows update first. Once it is tied to your account you will be fine but for now I think it needs proof you owned one of the required OSes. Hence the no Key requirement.

Yep twcrash :thumbsup: , I'm running fine here too, went from 7 to 10 and no issues at all (apart from GR that you mentioned in the other thread) seems very slick and smooth and no problems at all getting used to the start menu.

yeah, MS recommend to do an inplace upgrade (so it can verify the 7or8 licence) and then once have ensured the new windows 10 has activated OK, then can do a full blank drive, clean install as 10 is then registered against your PC's hardware fingerprint.

on my main gaming rig I did a "forced" inplace upgrade using the MediaCreationTool (rather than wait for the reserved queued roll out) and I also chose the option to keep "nothing" (it says "everything will be deleted including files/apps/settings" but the files are still there in the windows.old or where they were installed originally but all old installed programs wont work as basically 10 wont know they are installed as it doesn't have any registry keys for em)

so got a nice clean install of widows with all new drivers and no crap and then I just had to install Anti-virus, games. Steam Etc again into 10

I don't think AV is as needed anymore (Hear me out) Everyone I read,listen to or keep updated on say that AV is pretty useless. 99% of things are malware at the moment and items like malware bytes don't use Heuristic analysis so you don't get all the false positives. I use the built in Windows Defender and keep it updated and try and use smart surfing (since most of the issues we seem to have anymore are browser based) And not just clicking the express install on ANYTHING lol. Most of the time AV's don't update til AFTER a virus is detected in the wild so even if you updated everyday it wouldn't do you much good.And like i said Heuristic analysis is so horrible it isn't even worth using. Knock on wood I have been virus free for more years than I can remember.

yeah, MS recommend to do an inplace upgrade (so it can verify the 7or8 licence) and then once have ensured the new windows 10 has activated OK, then can do a full blank drive, clean install as 10 is then registered against your PC's hardware fingerprint.

on my main gaming rig I did a "forced" inplace upgrade using the MediaCreationTool (rather than wait for the reserved queued roll out) and I also chose the option to keep "nothing" (it says "everything will be deleted including files/apps/settings" but the files are still there in the windows.old or where they were installed originally but all old installed programs wont work as basically 10 wont know they are installed as it doesn't have any registry keys for em)

Yeh I'm doing similar.

I left my current win7 install nice and safe and popped in a new HD and installed win 7 on there, and verified it with Microsoft. So now I can apply W10 upgrade to that OS and I'll just start adding steam and itunes etc once the upgrade is complete. If anything goes FUBAR, I'll still have my original W7 install nice and safe.

What about this GR issue though.... any resolution...?

I downloaded the .iso, and then restarted said creation tool which over in the US, not sure elsewhere, updates my system and carried over all my programs, settings and drivers flawlessly.

now its august, "service release 1" article here will fix stability issues and bugs. don't expect any new features, specifically the promised xbox streaming probably around October

Papa6

I was down on win10 earlier because I was seeing it go in a direction that didn't please me. but overall, I'm comfortable with it. I ONLY really care for windows 10 because of the extremely enhanced DX12 stack which makes all my games run like butter smooth

• Like 1

I redownloaded the media creation tool. Downloaded my version of Windows 10 (home) and created the media. I then wiped my harddrive clean and did a fresh install and it went smoothly and activated my Windows 10 as soon as it was online. So yes you can do a clean swipe and reinstall AFTER you activate your upgrade.

• Like 1

I reinstalled windows 8.1. all my reviews were of the outer packaging of 10 but when I installed the home edition, the user is forced to download and install updates, even updates that crash systems. in 8.1, I could set my updates to inform me of updates but let me decide which to install. Home doesn't have this feature while the $179 pro version does.

home version seems more like a , "ok, here's your free OS, minus features.

home version, there is no "group policy" service/feature but there is in PRO...

home version is truly a bad release and I'd say stay away from it! go with the pro. I think with the "FREE" moniker that went out, MSFT intentionally did this to force people to buy the pro version which, of course meant more $$$. But to create a home edition that is a "crippled" version of the OS is ######. this is, in my personal opinion the 3rd OS failure.

by the way, the new edge browser is ONLY for windows 10. DX 12 is also a windows 10 only feature. they will NOT be released for windows 8 or 8.1. another feature in hopes to FORCE feed windows 10 to everyone possible.

this post is an accumulation of my personal work and research of the inner workings of windows 10. there is a website that purported to have a registry "hack" to create the 8.1 drop down list for updates where you can supposedly create the setting of "inform me of updates but let me decide whether to install them. the hack failed and nothing works. the list never showed up. Home users will be forced fed updates, and this includes updates that break a windows 10 install.

in closing, if you feel compelled to go windows 10, go with the pro edition ($179 US) and get all the features. windows 10 home is a half baked stripped down version on Windows 10 pro that will make many regret having windows 10. I predict that people will be forced or inclined to go back to an older version of windows surely due to the update debacle that will happen. since the release of windows 10, neowin.net reported 2 bad updates that threw users into infinite loops of some kind, not good mind you but, this will be something that will ###### a lot of users off soon to come.

regards,

Papa6

Edited by Papa6
  • Like 1

the last post based upon my earlier posts about Windows 10 were of test builds. So normally you might think in my case it was going to be something but was changed upon release. The product morphed upon release that that disturbs me. We knew about the two editions but nothing was said about a crippled home edition.

I like the look of 10 but the engine, the inner workings leave a lot to be desired

You're mistaken on the updates. Just because you buy the Pro version of Windows 10 it doesn't exempt you from updates. You can just postpone them. Updates are a good thing specially security updates. Nowhere does it state you have to download 3rd party updates only windows updates. Which why wouldn't you do that. I along with anyone who has worked on systems tells their customers the first thing that they should do is what? yep, UPDATE WINDOWS. Stop reading the click bait blogs trying to spread gloom and doom about Windows. I haven't had an issue with a MS update that wasn't related to 3rd party driver issues. Updates are more important that AV in my opinion anymore. That and removing the use of Flash on my system.

Using Edge is crippled anyways. Chrome and Firefox are much better which has always been the case why should that change now.

There are NO DirectX 12 GAMES so directx 12 is a mute point as well for now. I assume when games start showing up there will be a Windows 8 DX12 update as well. I mean they have to keep it updated for the life of the product so yeah I don't see that as an issue. Also the only thing Pro would give me that I could see as even a remote plus would be Bitlocker which I don't use and 99% of people don't use as well. Better alternatives out there anyways.

Edited by twcrash

i guess I better can say that in windows 10 home, there's only two options, "notify restart or automatically." that's it.

in my 8.1 I can have them sitting on the server and windows will tel me they are there but I can choose which to install and if a bad one gets through and MS says its causing probs, I immediately know to avoid it.

after looking into the guts of windows 10 home, a lot of things in pro that need to be in home don't exist, like a poor mans windows.

i guess I better can say that in windows 10 home, there's only two options, "notify restart or automatically." that's it.

in my 8.1 I can have them sitting on the server and windows will tel me they are there but I can choose which to install and if a bad one gets through and MS says its causing probs, I immediately know to avoid it.

after looking into the guts of windows 10 home, a lot of things in pro that need to be in home don't exist, like a poor mans windows.

Yeah again you need to go look because your statements aren't true. The only thing (yes only 5 things of difference) is:

- Domain Join Services

- BitLocker Drive Encryption

- Remote Access Services

- Group Policy editor

- Windows Update for Business

Which non of that applies to you except maybe Bitlocker which I wouldn't want to use because it stores your encryption key online so whats the use? If you are looking for an excuse to not use it that is fine but don't spread false statements hoping to get others to not use it because it might be just fine for them and what they are exactly looking for.

c'mon guys, we're on the same team :)

papa6 is actually right, windows 10 forces updates, i'm not sure about the stability of said updates, but it does force them with no way to turn them off, i'll have to check my windows in a moment to see if you can on Pro, but it is definitely forced, and intentionally so