Ghost Recon.net Forums
Rocky

Wildlands Ask Me Anything

AI BLUEFOX, the only assertions, suppositions and assumptions are yours. My point is clear, explained twice at length for your benefit. There's no debate or subterfuge -- the only confusion is yours; and mine I suppose for indulging you at all.

Reread post #98 above if you're still confused and are sincerely concerned about the topic. Or even better since you're clearly so piqued by anything I post read Wombat's post, he clearly understands what I'm writing about and articulates it concisely:

Have any of you had any communication or updates from UBI since your trip to Paris?
Are any future trips to Paris or UBI workshops planned?

Is there any information about any of the below:

Will UPlay be used to connect to MP?
Will a internet connection be required for SP?
Direct IP gaming?
Dedicated server files?
Demo recorder or Replays?
How do re-spawns work? One location or a choice such as on a squad leader?
How do saves work. Save anywhere, save point, autosave?

If UBI straps on the same MP networking for PC as in GR:FS that will be a mess. They absolutely need to revamp that.

These are valid and important questions! If Ubisoft shoehorns the same lousy netcode, MMS lobby system, and their god awful Uplay DRM on Wildlands PC that they did on Ghost Recon Future Soldier; it won't even matter if the game has multi-player, the best engine, art assets and game design in PS FPS realism...

Rocky, I hope you squeeze Ubisoft HARD on this! Until they squeak! In fact call Yves Guillemot at home and get him out of bed, right now! Tell him your making his answers to your questions front page news tomorrow and if he sandbags your going to post a picture of him on the front page of GRN wearing Coco's thong, bunny slippers with a smarmy smile on his face -- I'll provide the contraband photo.

Edited by 101459

If you read my post a bit further up the page, you'll see we discussed dedicated servers. There were 6 PC guys present in Paris and did convey ours and the communities concerns/wishes in regards to the whole online architecture.

I did see your post Deosl, but 'understanding the value' of something, and acting on it are two different things, speak nothing to actual design intentions, or goals. By way of example any individual or entity may 'understand the value' of not doing harm, but see obviating reasons -- like making money or staying on budget, and the value becomes moot. As well it doesn't appear there's been anything from Ubisoft in response to larger, more specific and important questions questions like:

Have any of you had any communication or updates from UBI since your trip to Paris?

Direct IP gaming?
Dedicated server files?

If UBI straps on the same MP networking for PC as in GR:FS that will be a mess. They absolutely need to revamp that.

No less acknowledgement of:

The game has been three years in development, Ubisoft has announced there will be multi-player, Ubisoft has not delivered a game on PC from their own studios in over eight years with mature robust netcode with a server browser of any kind or a properly functioning MMS. Whether by design or happenstance Ubisoft isn't discussing any of this. As yet no one has confronted them in any public venue about it, and they still resort to the 'we're not discussing that at this time...' sort of dismissive prose, which has never guided well in corporate PR. Compare this to EA or Activision PR (not suggesting these are two cherubs of good will) where virtually everything at least gets a direct response.

It seems a reasonable assumption that everyone that might like this game for some form of multi-player would agree that the performance, stability, and capability of Ubisofts netcode, MMS, and DRM to at least perform at parity with other games that have gotten over this hurdle over a decade ago will be an important consideration... It should (perhaps I'm being too argumentative) I would think be a reasonable assumption that people that wan't to play multi-player, and pay for that privileged should be able to actually play it. Could we agree on that? Could we agree that based on history of repeated demonstration that this appears to be a challenge that Ubisoft has had difficulty surmounting, and that it would be a similarly serious issue to what has gone before if they don't at least make some effort to acknowledge this and address it?

I don't understand why everyone is so anxious to cut Ubisoft so much slack; if they had a great track record of delivering outstanding games from their in-house studios it would be one thing... Neither is this a mod team or Indie Developer that loves game design, and has a close connection between the game's developers and the audience; this is a massive company with billions in revenue and thousands employees; most of them, or most of the decision making power is handed to corporate weenie types, not game developers -- some have never even played a game no less a Ghost Recon game.

Remember when companies had to actually SELL you on their games with demos and good sales copy that explained what they were offering? *cough* Ghost Recon the original. Compare that to what we get now in opaque hyperbola and marketing hype, corporate weenie speak like 'best game experience' as an answer to a specific question, with paid shills and actors pretending Game-XYZ is the greatest thing that ever happened to them in their life -- and more gets spent on this kind of idiotic marketing crap then developing the game...

C'mon...

Edited by 101459

I really hope it will be first person only. Such a different and way more realistic vibe I'd say.

Exited however!

Best,

Koel

It won't be first person only, Koelshooter, it will definitely be a third person shooter.

However, there is a very clear message being given to the production team in Paris from the likes of Rocky, Deosl and Ulukai that the game could and should support first person only as a viable, playable option. The third person fans in that group (like me) are totally behind that as well. We don't know if it will happen, but it won't be for a lack of asking.

• Like 1

Very good suggestion. In Arma 3 you have several options, depending on which level you play (recruit/regular/veteran/elite) On Elite there is no option for 3rd person view and then like-minded will find themselves anyway.

Hope Ubi does the trick :-)

While I'm an advocate of server side options and choice for players, like 1st and 3rd person person perspective; Ubisoft hasn't shipped a Tom Clancy game with a server browser in over a decade, in fact it doesn't appear they've shipped any games with a server browser in over a decade. The relevance of this is that an MMS requires an enormous number of players to function properly, and with each player option that separates players you offer in an MMS -- the number of players (and/or game join/start time) goes up exponentially.

If you're going to play this game on PC and Ubisoft ships it with an MMS, you better hope they do it with as few game options and as little exclusive/excluding DLC content as possible (preferably none), as every preference and content option that separates players A's ability to play with player B will add massively to join time in games even for just four player non ping critical coop, making multi-player gaming impractical or even impossible with an audience the size of say what's currently playing Insurgency, or America's Army Proving Grounds.

So, to put the horse back in front of the cart, the thread back on topic and OT intention of asking Rocky anything:

Direct IP gaming?

Dedicated server files?

Getting answers to these questions would really benefit PC fans in setting realistic expectations of what is practical and possible for multiplayer...

Edited by 101459

OK, if we're back on track ...

Will Uplay be used to connect to MP

- We don't' know. I was at a Star Players workshop at E3 that discussed Uplay, but not related specifically to Wildlands, just generally. The PC gamers at that workshop gave the feedback that Uplay seemed to offer no purpose in relation to Steam. I don't know if that means anything will happen, but the voice was heard.

Will an Internet connection be required for SP

- No it won't be, this is not an MMO

Direct IP gaming? Dedicated server files

- We don't know, this wasn't discussed as far as I recall.

Demo recorder or replays

- We don't know, I don't recall this topic being discussed either.

How do respawns work? One location or a choice such as on a squad leader

- We did experience this aspect of the game, I mentioned it in my gameplay blog http://aibluefox.tumblr.com/post/122874009850/ghost-recon-wildlands-play-test, but I did have to edit my original transcript as the mechanism we used was just for the benefit of the play test in Paris and is subject to design decisions. Nothing being hidden as such; the producer was clear that leading fans to believe certain ways of doing things would be in the game was wrong at this point. The Dev team want to make decisions on respawning later in the development lifecycle.

How do saves work? Save anywhere, save point, auto save.

- Didn't come up during the play test or in discussion. Partly, I guess, because none of us felt like shutting down and going to do something else, LoL!

I'm sorry that full answers can't be given and that not much can be said at this point, but I know that the PC guys will be all over the Dev team with these questions when they get a chance.

• Like 1

Yes, there is ongoing structured dialogue, which looks like it is set to continue right up to the games launch.

​Nothing I am aware of, but I'm hopeful :)

Ubisoft are taking a long hard look at Uplay, what it does, how it does it, and how it can best serve the end user. Can't say for sure at this point if that will include Wildlands MP though.

Oh for the love of all campaign gamers let's hope they get this one right! Unfortunately as the focus was on co-op, this subject was never discussed.

• Like 1

From your playing experience what was weapon recoil and gun sway(if any) like?

And did the health of your character have an effect on them?

Is there bullet drop?

Appreciate all the responses from the team that went to Paris.

Edited by wombat50
  • Like 1

I am hoping for a server browser and lobbies that can be customised by the host. I'd like that to be on a non-rental basis, but I'm not overly optimistic that will happen.

I think the trouble is with ranking, unlocks etc is that they force an MMS approach from the publisher in an attempt to give every player a uniform experience. If you allow servers and custom settings, you are open to boosting and stacking for XP. Never a problem in the Ghost Recon community on Xbox and I guess not on PC, but then XP and unlocks didn't matter then either.

Future Soldier brought the dreaded unlock system into play and with it the inevitable MMS. Although you could host lobbies with everything unlocked, they couldn't be searched and joined which was a huge disappointment for me. I set up a poll on the Ubisoft forums which got an overwhelming response from over 300 votes (8 against) asking for searchable custom lobbies from the console players.

However, we dont even know yet if there will be PvP, and if there is whether an unlock system will come with it. Hence the matchmaking system isn't yet on the table for discussion.

I am hoping for a server browser and lobbies that can be customised by the host. I'd like that to be on a non-rental basis, but I'm not overly optimistic that will happen.

I think the trouble is with ranking, unlocks etc is that they force an MMS approach from the publisher in an attempt to give every player a uniform experience. If you allow servers and custom settings, you are open to boosting and stacking for XP. Never a problem in the Ghost Recon community on Xbox and I guess not on PC, but then XP and unlocks didn't matter then either.

Future Soldier brought the dreaded unlock system into play and with it the inevitable MMS. Although you could host lobbies with everything unlocked, they couldn't be searched and joined which was a huge disappointment for me. I set up a poll on the Ubisoft forums which got an overwhelming response from over 300 votes (8 against) asking for searchable custom lobbies from the console players.

However, we dont even know yet if there will be PvP, and if there is whether an unlock system will come with it. Hence the matchmaking system isn't yet on the table for discussion.

I was wondering watching the great efforts for authenticity, Will it be possible to do just simple insertions by Blackhawks or other modes of transportation? I guess the HALO jump scenes are cool but will they allow for standard insertions like OGR? My fear is that with the vehicles, they might accidentally make this inadvertently vehicle based like other past games like joint ops. Please don't beat me for saying this. But some of those vehicles aren't exactly worthy of noise discipline when wanting to keep the advantage of silent operations.

next: can we alter the time of the mission? say for example, Rocky and I want to COOP. that map in the video is in broad daylight, is there ANY hint of being able to create a COOP mission and altering the time of day/night? (the Somalia raid of 1993 was flawed in that they went in at daylight in the afternoon).

At this point, I'm sure someone asked before but any update on modding tools? perhaps a model exporter for weapons, vehicles and characters that will work with Blender, the freeware 3d design app would make development more available to the masses.

-Papa6

Does the game have healing or health or health regen?

That wasn't discussed, so sorry - no info on that aspect of Wildlands gameplay.

I would expect there to be some kind of system in place though.

That's a bit of a filler video to be fair, there's nothing new there and he's made a few assumptions, and got some stuff wrong.

The view is third person, with first person weapon view when scoping. This is unlikely to change based off the vibe we got from the dev team, so no first person view on the cards so far as we know.

Weapon and character customisation, no ###### sherlock, this is Ghost Recon lol.

• Like 1

Im curious to see if theres any adjustment to the 3rd person camera... 

In Graw 360 terms.... I liked the Campaign up close 3rd person view vs the slightly further back MP 3rd person camera.... the Sp camera helped mitigate the player having a little too much peripheral view... 

This the only official info they've given out about the camera perspectives. Source

We decided to go on with a third-person camera to be able to explore the environment around you, and to be able to intercept threats coming from any direction. We also implemented a hybrid perspective gameplay which allows you can switch to Iron Sight mode quickly to be more precise in delicate situations.

Edited by Deosl

Was kinda hoping for both first and 3rd, but from what I see of 3rd they seem to pull it off pretty well.

If Wildland will not have a 1st person view only - option Ubisoft will miss out on a very large number of players that will stick with other games like Arma, RB6 Siege or OGR for that matter. Is there a philosophy behind this? Is it a huge technical hurdle to program such a feature? Well, they still have a year to make things right...:-)

Best,

Koel

• Like 1

I think for at least some of the missions it will be up to you, you can go stealth, or you can go in loud. There could be ramifications however - as this is an open world where the populace is going about their daily routines. If the Ghosts go in loud and make a fuss, the situation will change and they could see support driving in from nearby towns, or news spreads and the drug cartels change their operations based on news of special forces in the area.....

Sounds great Rocky and easily rolls off the tongue of the Devs but scripting dynamic gameplay like that takes a lot off effort and I cant see it being done well if at all.

It will be done. They are extremely keen to make real living environments where there is a population going about its daily business - they have some really cool ideas to make this interesting.