ESA SAYS PRESERVING OLD GAMES IS ILLEGAL

The Entertainment Software Association doesn’t want anyone to restore the functionality of older video games that are no longer supported by their publisher, because, says ESA, this is “hacking,” and all hacking is “associated with piracy.”

Link to full article on IGN

Wow. I don't... just... wow. :wall:
Rather than letting their customers continue to enjoy games they abandoned themselves, software publishers seek criminal charges against anyone trying to keep old games alive / running.
Just when I thought they couldn't possibly find a way to even more obviously display their bottomless stupidity and corruption, these guys make yet another surefire move to clearly demonstrate being completely void of morals and consideration.
Here's a thought for those "morally empty corrupted maggots"...

well, I'm sorry, but it's not their call to make, its the individual developer's decision to allow it or not. but if you have a legal license to that game and are attempting to restore its functionality so it will work on modern/other systems, it's not technically a breach of the EULA, especially if it uses an external compatibility layer such as Wine.

You purchased a license for the software, therefore If you wish to 'hack' it then thats your choice.

the ESA can respectfully go ###### themselves...

Edited by Zeealex
  • Like 1