Ghost Recon.net Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Papa6

Gaming laptops: coming into their own

I've used laptops for some time now and tried to stick to systems that had gaming power or prowess. about a month ago, I bought a Toshiba Qosmio x70 with the following specs

Intel i7 4700MQ quad core

Nvidia GTX 770M 3GB discrete graphics card

16GB DDR3 Ram

1 TB HDD

and an intel dualband wireless wifi card

but in general, Laptops are now made in such a way (that is to say gaming laptops) that, they can now compete as gaming rigs against desktops without being tethered to a desk.

I can actually recline on my recliner and I use a cooler on my lap for cooling. so I can watch a bit of TV as I surf the net or play my games.

this Qosmio X70 set me back some $1,400 quid but is a strudy system.

if you are on a budget, be careful, because some of the cheaper laptops build quality are cheap as their prices. so its an issue of $$$ versus build quality. however, I've had only one real issue with Toshiba in that a motherboard on my last one went bad and still was under warranty. for the most part Toshibas are built with quality in mind and this is my families 5th toshiba system?

• Like 1

Laptops are still problematic when it comes to gaming, even if they are gaming laptops, the CPU clock speed is still pretty low compared to desktops (probably because of the limited cooling) and laptop GPU's are like mini versions of the normal desktop GPU's, giving less performance.

Even if I would ever bother buying a laptop again, I'd buy one from MSI, best ones out there.

Laptops are still problematic when it comes to gaming, even if they are gaming laptops, the CPU clock speed is still pretty low compared to desktops (probably because of the limited cooling) and laptop GPU's are like mini versions of the normal desktop GPU's, giving less performance.

Even if I would ever bother buying a laptop again, I'd buy one from MSI, best ones out there.

To be perfectly honest, the CPU I have now is blazing fast. it has throttling for heavy loads, it has four cores whith the intel tech in the CPU comes to 8 logical processors. the graphiccard is a discrete Nvidia GTX 770M card with 3GB ram and that's not a slouch by any means. plus, I can upgrade to a better card later.

MSI systems are good and you basically summed up that laptops are strong gaming systems.

I dont think Laptops will ever take the place of desktops for gaming. They may work for awhile but eventually heat will destroy I have had desktops that are still working (my last one was my gaming machine for 7 years) and still plays everything up to ArmA 2. And it can play ArmA 2 on low setting pretty well. This one is now almost 3 years old and is going strong And I haven't done a single update yet.

I dont think Laptops will ever take the place of desktops for gaming. They may work for awhile but eventually heat will destroy I have had desktops that are still working (my last one was my gaming machine for 7 years) and still plays everything up to ArmA 2. And it can play ArmA 2 on low setting pretty well. This one is now almost 3 years old and is going strong And I haven't done a single update yet.

Aye my laptop used to be lightning fast and could run Arma 2 reasonably well, all things considered. fast forward a couple of years and it overheats and shuts down trying to play the first age of empires, I kid you not.

This isnt a problem i've ever come to contact with in any of my desktops probably because theyre easier to maintain, to me anyway.

Toshiba is one of the bigger problem manufacturers for bad heat issues, i'm forever getting second degree burns from the exhaust grille.

Edited by Zeealex

Its me, from the future. :D

My laptop seemed to be pretty good too, now 4 years later I wish I would've known more about laptops and especially desktops, luckily I haven't had any "random" restart moments, seems to even freeze less than a year ago, yet it runs a lot hotter, my computer table is usually burning hot.