FEMAL3 for Arma3

Zeealex

just as a forenote, i actually think, for a first try, this went exceedingly well XD

I need to figure out why the texture isn't showing, however, the model works without any other hitches... except for one...

2014-04-20_00001_zps1c117c17.jpg

my headless horsemarine is giving birth to a new mod...

it's because i wasn't using a reference model, silly me thought 3ds co-ordinates were compiled with the p3d export.

hopefully she'll be complete soon, and packed with Excam as a first(kind of) dedicated female mod.

That looks like you've neglected to add weights to the head's vertexes.

oooh thanks! I think i added the weights, I could've added them wrong, i used the skin modifier>edit envelopes>vertices, added the head bones> selected verts> changed abs. effect.

weighted the model to head, head_end, and neck.

this is going to sound really stupid, but do I need to keep the skeleton when adding the model to O2/OB? or weight the model to the skeleton in there instead?

there's an issue with the skeleton (something to do with a makepoly script) when i try to export it as a p3d, i might just export as an obj like you used to have to in arma 2

once i get this sorted, i can get onto adding the eyes back into the model, and maybe parts of her mouth too!

someone on armaholic also said that renaming it to a default head model name might help.

(sing to the tune of happy birthday) Happy Easter to you, happy Easter to you, happy Easter, happy Easter -- you've got a head up your keister.

I feel really immature now. Lol

XD it looks immature, don't worry

If you arent following the BI forums thread, a new female PMC body has been added, and the takistani woman has been forward ported just a few tweaks left mostly to the textures, for some reason, the head textures seem quite blurred

Edited by Zeealex

Looking good, Alex!

PS - Don't let the people on the BIS forums get you down; I never go there, because the community there is dominated by self-important jackwagons who think they're God's gift to gaming, and ruled by forum nazis. Good luck over there. :)

thanks for the heads up, they seem okay for now, hopefully it'll stay that way, if not, I'll back off.
the guys on armaholic seem nice enough, more inclined to helping with the technical sides than saying what they want put into the mod.

i've just found now, of all times, that there's an unbinarized version of the ManSkeleton_pivots and a skeleton file in the tools, I'm going to have a wee bit of fun modifying that i think! see if i can get that PMC model running any better.

Wait until you meet Foxhound. He's extremely helpful to new members and NEVER gets ###### off when a new guy who has trouble understanding English doesn't understand that his first post about a serious issue he has with his game has to be in forum 142 section 53 page 45 instead of page 44. lol

Wait until you meet Foxhound. He's extremely helpful to new members and NEVER gets ###### off when a new guy who has trouble understanding English doesn't understand that his first post about a serious issue he has with his game has to be in forum 142 section 53 page 45 instead of page 44. lol

I see what you did there. Your sarcasm is full of win, sir. Full of win.

haha, i was just about to say, I’ve not known Fox like that :P tbh i've not had an encounter with Foxhound, yet my armaholic experience has been a quiet but good one.

if you haven't been following BI forums, or Armaholic, further development in mudbox is starting on thursday, completely new custom uniforms made pretty much from scratch are in the works.

the mod also managed to get on the weekly mod report on armaholic for last week :)
i'll get some mudbox screenshots of the new trousers tonight, because I TOTALLY didn't fob off my A-level work to do them yesterday XD

• 2 weeks later...

I spent 6 hours trying to fix bad weights in a custom model's arm today...

and i'm glad to report! It's still not working.

pardon my french, but oxygen 2 is the biggest piece of unintuitive ###### i've ever had the displeasure of using!

half tempted to give up and tell the people on the bis forums where to stick their custom character models, i've got bigger things to worry about!

I spent 6 hours trying to fix bad weights in a custom model's arm today...

and i'm glad to report! It's still not working.

pardon my french, but oxygen 2 is the biggest piece of unintuitive ###### i've ever had the displeasure of using!

half tempted to give up and tell the people on the bis forums where to stick their custom character models, i've got bigger things to worry about!

No kidding ... sometimes, I feel that if Oxygen were a piece of hardware rather than hardware, then it'd make a great paperweight. :) But as Wombat suggested, maybe make a text document of what you've done and what you've tried.

Then, take a break from it for a few days. :)

Also, there are tools to import content from Maya and (possibly) 3DS Max to Oxygen. I've never used them, so take this with a grain of salt, but it may be possible to weight your models in Maya and/or Max, and export them to Oxygen, already weighted.

Organize and make a text document what you were working on so when you come back to it's not like starting all over.

i may just do that, it might help when i leave something for a week straight, so i know what i've already tried.

No kidding ... sometimes, I feel that if Oxygen were a piece of

hardware rather than hardware, then it'd make a great paperweight. :) But as Wombat suggested, maybe make a text document of what you've done and what you've tried.

yep, tell me about it, i think i'd get a better experience out of a potato. definitely taking a break, i've been finding 3d art a very pleasurable experience at the moment, and i've got exams starting on the 2nd which i need to prepare for first.

Also, there are tools to import content from Maya and (possibly) 3DS Max

to Oxygen. I've never used them, so take this with a grain of salt,

but it may be possible to weight your models in Maya and/or Max, and

export them to Oxygen, already weighted.

yes, there are, the import process from Maya seems a bit lengthy and i have no idea how to use Maya yet, I keep meaning to learn it, but 3ds Max 2015 has just won my heart back after getting fed up of the instability involved with 2012, and I'm currently impressed with how intuitive and intelligent its UV unwrapping is. so I've jumped back to that.

i'll play around with importing Maya weight scripts, even though i think if an FBX is imported, the weights are imported too.

i dunno, i'll have a gander, anything is better than Object builder.

I am pleased to report that after a good duration of time, the main problem has now been resolved; the LeftArmRoll Selection was being defined too low.

going to write myself a little algorithm to prevent being driven crazy by it again...

it just needs to be refined a little more, then the asian and African female heads need to be added in and refined.
then... a first release perhaps... who knows! O.o

• 3 months later...

I have spent the last two weeks staring at this wondering what was up with it:
107410_2014_08_24_00001_by_zeealex-d7x0a

only for me to discover a teeny tiny error here when I was transferring the source files for a new PBO:
two_fucking_weeks_by_zeealex-d7x2h1k.jpg

i think i may have cracked my skull I slammed my head against the desk that hard!

now if you don't mind, i'm going to admit myself to the nearest insane asylum...

Edited by Zeealex

• 7 months later...

So I decided to get down to my roots with the mod a little and retexture the faces. In the current version... it's safe to say they look dead inside.

par example:
107410_2015_01_09_00015_by_zeealex-d8d9o

I say no more...

These models are 12,000 faces a pop, and the head's UV's are TINY, which means they need ultra high res textures which bloats the mod and the servers using it.

In a quest to make the mod more server and eye friendly, I've decided to go all project novo on its ass.

This is the same model, optimized to just shy of 2,500 faces (9500 less than the previous version) with a new texture, you're looking at the one on the right.

107410_2015_04_05_00011_by_zeealex-d8okl

other screenshots:

107410_2015_04_05_00007_by_zeealex-d8okm

Different model with the same treatment:

in_the_light_by_zeealex-d8ok40m.jpg

^that one's actually had some photoshop trickery, she was originally cast in green light rather than yellow. :P

and because of their tiny polygon count, i can rig them with ease! :D

I expect the new release to be about half of the size of the curent version...

hope you like it :)

Edited by Zeealex
  • Like 3