Wombat50's "Migryder Festival Mod"

Make sure to check out how it actually looks in-game before giving up on the work you already did. Throw a texture on there, fiddle around with various e.g. overlay and dodge settings and give it a try, it may not be as bad as you expect, at all.

• Like 1

I have tried it in game and that's why I was so disappointed with the effort.

Ambient Occlusion layer is not a bad idea if a person has 3dsm, Maya or similar program.

Not that familiar if GR .chr models open in either. Been awhile but there was a GR utility that allowed import of a character model and the ability to spit out either a specular or AO layer. But the layer was ill defined and did not match the texture in size or scale.

Below is a method I have tried before and I know Alex has used it too. Cut out the web gear as a layer and desaturate it. Then paste some desaturated pack or bag shapes and resize them to the correct dimensions(used 6 or 8 below). Then fill the layers with camo and blend mode of choice.

The pasted bag shapes can be given Bevel and Emboss to simulate shading. Quickest method I have found so far for changing color or camo on web gear.

post-503-0-53390100-1412454747_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

it looks fine to me :/ perhaps make the AO layer slightly more fabricy?

I've used the same method for the vests, yes, I've used a vest made from scratch though, rather than use the desaturated versions of older vests. I allows for much smoother texturing. and more versatility.

it's a shame about quixel :/ nvidia normal map filter should work with CS2 though. that would yield a good base result at the cost of the ability to teak it in realtime.

Not bad at all, Wombat. :thumbsup:

Sometimes I spend hours days weeks experimenting with a myriad of different effects just to get a texture right. I keep backups of the various stages of work, as often I simply go way too far with trial-and-error and need/want to return to a much earlier state. Just saying, this way you can really go nuts experimenting without fear.

• Like 2

Hey wombat i found some 3ds files in download section and rendered out AO from Susan Grey file. On left you can see AO version over it and normal on the right.

iaJ33R9.jpg

As you can see, some stuff is removed on AO side so some cleaning should be done on AO map.

Great work so far so keep it up! You inspired me to do some GR modding again after Rockall. Maybe some map or... ;)

• Like 1

@Alex,

I have texview 2 for Arma 2. You have my curiosity up.

@Zeko,

Hey. Would like to see the AO map you have of the Susan Grey model by itself. I'm assuming you rendered it out in 3dsm?

Glad your interest in GR modding has picked up once again. You always did excellent work.

save the character RSB files as jpeg, blank is better but whatever.

open them in texview

then save them again as but at the end of the filename place "_AS"

Texview will create an arma 2 compatible Ambient light map based on what colours absorb light and what colours reflect it... open the PAA file up in photoshop using PAAplug, discard the mipmaps but apply the swizzling

desaturate and invert what it gives you then place it over the top of your texture on lighter colour blending.

with the magic wand on non-contigouous mode and "sample all layers" select the grey areas, copy and paste them.

set the pasted layer on soft light and give it a gaussain blur of 0.6 pixels (if you're using 512x512)

it's not the best and it's a little fiddly but it works pretty well

as_demo_by_zeealex-d82ggbb.jpg

Edited by Zeealex
  • Like 2

Some experiments using Zeko's ambient occlusion layer(post #110) except for gloves, holster, boots and leg pouch.

At the least a good base to start from and the faceted look could be softened with some gaussian blur on the AO. Haven't had a real go at Alex's idea yet.

post-503-0-18147400-1413322457_thumb.jpg

post-503-0-21524200-1413322487_thumb.jpg

Been working on our current team mod so a bit distracted.

Edited by wombat50
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Incoming...

I've been meaning to compile a mod but just had the motivation today.

Includes 30 missions from Migryder's mission packs.

Some map textures

-weapon sounds(for stock weapons), explosion sounds

-new grenade explosion textures

-See enclosed readme for details and credits.

I'll post a link when it gets done uploading.

• Like 3