My first build...

migryder

Well I will attempt my first build and will also try to learn some OC stuff..

my first two acquisitions today from Micro Center in Dallas...

MSI Z77 MPOWER motherboard

INTEL i5 3570K CPU

will probably go with....

Corsair C70 case...military green he he

MSI GTX 680 Lightning GPU ( yea I'll fan boy it up I guess)

or maybe two 660 Ti cards in SLI....MFG undetermined

Xigmatek Dark Knight II or Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E heatsink if air or something like Corsair H70 CORE to allow fan choice if liquid..

Crucial 256GB M4 SSD

Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM, 6 GB/s, 64 mb cache HDD

Crucial Ballistix Elite 16GB(2x8) DDR-3 1866 or maybe just the 8 gig kit...yea, the board allows highly OC'd RAM but I like Crucial memory...

PSU undertermined...

Suggestions welcome...

Good luck Mig. First build is fun and stressful at the same time so don't get in to big a hurry and you should do just fine. Looks like you got your parts list pretty much ironed out. Enermax PSU's were used in the 4 builds I've done and there still going fine.

I recently built a new system with similar specs to yours, though erring a bit lower. My only advice past mirroring the call for patience is to consider dropping the 2TB Seagate for 2x1TBs in RAID0 setup, since that motherboard has a build in Intel RAID controller. A RAID0 array won't give you a massive boost, but for a few dollars more, it might be well worth it. Check appendix B of the manual for details.

8 gigs of DDR3 is more than enough for now, but of course the more the merrier, if you can afford it.

What's the OS going to be?

Not to derail his thread, as Mig is looking for feedback, but I should post my new specs.

Gigabyte GA-A75M-S2V micro-ATX motherboard

AMD A8-3870K Black - quad core APU @ 3.1-3.3gHz depending on my mood

AMD HD6550D on die

8Gb (2x4Gb) PSD38G1600KH DDR3 memory

Thermaltake TR2-500W PSU

2x1TB SATA3 in RAID0

ASUS DRW-24B3ST

Cooler Master Elite 371 mid-tower

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit (employee discount, I have a friend in the Xbox department in Redmond, so 2 copies were stupid cheap)

Logitech K800 wireless illuminated keyboard - with Unfying receiver

Razer Abyssus Mirror 3500G mouse - I had to get rid of my old Logitech M518 because it's very right handed, and well....

ASUS VH222H monitor

I also have a Viewsonic VX1940w I am thinking about using as a secondary monitor. I'm also adding a Razer Nostromo or perhaps a Hydra to the kit for ease of access, as my right hand isn't very useful on a mouse or keyboard.

Now, remember, I'm a disabled gamer these days, so some choices were based on that.

Okay, done with the aside. :wc:

Nice specs guys.

I was going to treat myself to a new build this Christmas, primarily to run some specific games, but I have discovered Batlefield 3 runs just great on my 8800GTS so I might put it off for now.

Still jealous of your specs.

Hey, it took me five months to put that together, and I had to trim so many things because I simply couldn't afford what I wanted to get. On top of that, my previous rig (the one that died in May) still had some eight year old (and perhaps older) parts. It had an AGP video card!

I don't believe I'm in need of those yet; I've got a wired 360 controller plugged in to my PC, and my right hand is right on the border when it comes to that, and I'm also thinking about a few other things, like adding a Razer Taipan to my collection. Hardware designed for those with mobility issues tends to be highly priced, as there is a minuscule market out there.

I'd love to continue talking about this, but not in this topic.

Not to derail his thread, as Mig is looking for feedback, but I should post my new specs.

Gigabyte GA-A75M-S2V micro-ATX motherboard

AMD A8-3870K Black - quad core APU @ 3.1-3.3gHz depending on my mood

AMD HD6550D on die

8Gb (2x4Gb) PSD38G1600KH DDR3 memory

Thermaltake TR2-500W PSU

2x1TB SATA3 in RAID0

ASUS DRW-24B3ST

Cooler Master Elite 371 mid-tower

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit (employee discount, I have a friend in the Xbox department in Redmond, so 2 copies were stupid cheap)

Logitech K800 wireless illuminated keyboard - with Unfying receiver

Razer Abyssus Mirror 3500G mouse - I had to get rid of my old Logitech M518 because it's very right handed, and well....

ASUS VH222H monitor

I also have a Viewsonic VX1940w I am thinking about using as a secondary monitor. I'm also adding a Razer Nostromo or perhaps a Hydra to the kit for ease of access, as my right hand isn't very useful on a mouse or keyboard.

Now, remember, I'm a disabled gamer these days, so some choices were based on that.

Okay, done with the aside. :wc:

un08Vl.png

Dag! I wish I had read all these comments earlier! Been really busy having to get out of here by Halloween (we sold our family land holdings which my house is on)! Thanks for the suggestions/comments! I would have had to give serious consideration to your HDD suggestion Dannik, but alas, the 2TB is ordered...

I ordered all the stuff but the PSU, I did find an 850W for half price if purchased from the mfg...it received a decent review over at Hardware Secrets so I'll probably order it...

That Crucial 16GB 1866 kit seems popular! ...newegg had it, ran out, Amazon had it, ran out, newegg got more and reduced the price to $129.99, then so did Amazon at the same price...They got 5 kits in and I bought the last one of those in just a few days time...

peripherals ordered -

ASUS VG278HE 27" 3D ready monitor

NVIDIA 3D VISION 2 kit

those two things seem like a gamble at best, but I will get 144Hz/2 ms for 2D...wish I could afford a high end IPS...might have gone that way instead...

possible additions - Well I have mice/keyboards lying about, but later I may get a Tt Sports Level 10 mouse if only cause it can be gotten in military green to match close to the case - back in the 70s we US Army pukes called that OD Green - as in " over dirt green" if we had a paint brush in hand...

Tt Sports Meka GUNNIT keyboard in same green scheme...if it ever becomes available...

OS - WIN 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit...currently have Win 7 Pro 64 on this machine, but it was a free upgrade from VISTA Ult back in '09...I was told by a technician at a Tiger Direct store that I could install that w/o registering it, then reinstall and register it or something like that, but I got lazy and bought the system builder version of Home....hopefully I'll be able to upgrade to Win 8 for cheap IF I want to go that way..unsure of that for now...

gotta admit its hard not to take that mobo out and gawk at it...but I did get the manual out and am reading it while waiting for the other stuff to arrive and for the US gov, HUD namely, to get out of my way and let me close on my new place...2.5 acres with a permanently placed double wide built in 2008 for $43,000.00....OMG he's trailer trash! ... It was a foreclosure owned by above mentioned agency...I heard from my future neighbors that the previous owner hit a dog while pounding the throttle on his crotch rocket...no helmet!

Edited by migryder

You're not missing a heck of a lot of raw performance, going 2TB over 2x1, so don't sweat it. Now, next time...

Don't forget that if you can find an on-hand peripheral that's not essential but wouuld be cheap to replace, you could have a go at painting it/them. Nose around YouTube a bit and you will find a vast number of "hey, I'm going to try this" videos out there, if you need something to keep you busy while you wait. Heh.

That doesn't mean you can't still buy your toys. ;)

yea, like painting the rings on Corsair fans as I saw in a build vid on their site that was done with the green C70 case...might be best for the key board, but that mouse appears to be pretty awesome and is designed by BMW...I have two cheap(<30 USD each) Logitechs though that I like more than any Razer I have had and I've gone through three of those including the Bushmaster that lasted no time...so I'm skeptical about high end fancy nancy mice...course painting a keyboard would be a bit more involved...is there anything NOT on YouTube? ....I spoke with a kid at a store and we got discussing YouTube...I used green screen building as an example of how it seems there is nothing you can't find there and it turned out he was thinking of making one, so he went there and found all he needed to...

I've seen a discussion on staining PC component parts with crafts dye..can't remember where though...

did I mention I ordered a system test software? Its called Metro 2033 he he...$9.95 couple days ago, now $6.49 I've read in the GPU reviews that single card systems have a hard time with that one at ultra high resolutions...shoot, I can't wait to see the CoP mods S.M.R.T.E.R. Pripyat 0.41/AtmosFear 3.0 patched together with this stuff..the blow outs and Psi Storms are already awesome on my current rig. Then maybe smartphoneusr will finish 0.45 soon with all the access to older STALKER series maps and fan made maps as well not to mention new mutants, weapons to be found about the maps, and such...hat off to him...he's doing that massive mod alone...

http://www.moddb.com/mods/smrter-pripyat/page/2#comments