Original Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon coming to Playstation 3

ApexMods

Admittedly I am a little late with this, but Examiner.com ran a story a couple of weeks ago stating that original Ghost Recon will soon be released for Playstation 3. An interesting tidbit of the article is the fact that it names Sony Computer Entertainment as publisher.

Original Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon coming to Playstation 3

The latest listing update from the ESRB has revealed that the first Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon game will be heading to the Playstation 3 system in the near future. You can check out some screenshots from the original version of the tactical shooter in the slideshow at the top of this article and more details below.

Sony Computer Entertainment is listed as the publisher for Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon, making it extremely likely that the game will be re-released as a Playstation 2 Classics title on the Playstation Store. The tactical shooter received an M (for Mature) rating due to contents relating to blood, gore and violence.

View slideshow: Original Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon coming to Playstation 3

The original version Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon was developed by Red Storm Entertainment (now known as Ubisoft Red Storm), the same studio that went on to create the recently-released Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier as well as the upcoming Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6: Patriots. The Playstation 2 version came out in North America on December 1, 2002.

Read the full article here.

If you mean in regard to gore and gruesome special effects, I agree. But maybe the M(ature) rating refers to required mental faculties, deliberation, patience, and tactical abilities. On that scale, most modern games indeed cater to the cerebral capacity of fruit flies.

Don't get your hopes up, guys. As the article states it is "extremely likely" that they'll release the game as a "Playstation 2 Classics" title, meaning they simply re-pack the old PS2 version to be PS3-compaitble. So I don't expect any kind of visual improvements, and of course (officially) there will be no modding possible on PS3.

Nevertheless, a re-release of the original Ghost Recon on PS3 exposes the game to a new crowd, and who knows, maybe there are still people out there looking for a little more in a shooter than that "kill, die, respawn, rinse, repeat" 30-seconds gameplay currently on offer out there. Just imagine having the original Ghost Recon next to that Future Soldier mess on your PS3... shouldn't be too hard to realize why the former is still played and modded after more than a decade, while the latter was pretty much dead on arrival.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so happy that I found this website! I used to play the original Ghost Recon and GRIT on the black xbox. My friends and I played until the very last day on the original Xbox Live. Since then, we play call of duty and other fps games on the xbox 360. We always talk about our original Ghost Recon days! There are about 20 of us who are dying to play the original Ghost Recon and GRIT!

Is there anymore news on the PS3 release of the original Ghost Recon? Do you think it will be released on the Xbox 360 too? I'm just curious! Thanks!