Ghost Recon.net Forums
squad_e

Cooling Systems.. Water Cooling Systems?..

Hey guys, was just wondering, i noticed when i play skyrim in 1024x768 my CPU core hits 90* . but when i play it in 800 x 600, I have no problem i can play for days!!

I often clean out dust clogged up in the CPU fan i have too, but its not enough these days, ArmA II runs completely fine..

I'm using Windows XP

My Specs to date are..

AMD Phenom 9950 Quad Core Processor 2.60 GHz

3.2 GB RAM

NVIDEA GeFORCE 9600GT

What would you guys recommend?.. I'm thinking of getting a water cooled system perhaps..

thanks

Edited by squad_e

Hey guys, was just wondering, i noticed when i play skyrim in 1024x768 my CPU core hits 90* . but when i play it in 800 x 600, I have no problem i can play for days!!

I often clean out dust clogged up in the CPU fan i have too, but its not enough these days, ArmA II runs completely fine..

I'm using Windows XP

My Specs to date are..

AMD Phenom 9950 Quad Core Processor 2.60 GHz

3.2 GB RAM

NVIDEA GeFORCE 9600GT

What would you guys recommend?.. I'm thinking of getting a water cooled system perhaps..

thanks

I am running one of these Corsair CPU Coolers and have been very satisfied!

As long as you have the room to physically install it.

Best Regards,

Saker

Are you still using the stock CPU fan cooler? If you don't want to go with water cooling you might consider a better aftermarket CPU fan cooler and many can be bought for a reasonable cost. I'm using a Zalman unit with an adjustable fan control. I crank it all the way up while gaming and it does a great job of keeping temps under control.

^ What KRP56 said. Take a look at something like the coolermaster hyper 212 evo or somesuch.

I am still running a Phenom X4 9950 at 3GHz with a xigmatek HDT-S1283 and it runs just fine. Though I am also up in Canada... so you know, igloo and etc. :P

I have two fans on mine setup push-pull, but they only dropped a couple degrees unfortunately.

Cheers guys for the recommendations, especially wytchdokta for being so techy, i'll be checking em out later, and yeah, maybe its also a seasonal thing, winter is coming so its getting cooler.. But still thinking about upgrades on my system, not upgraded it for 5 years..

I tihnk it will also help on editing side of things when i render .avi's n such.

@FNG Saker i'll have a snoop around at those, but i dont see price listings :S Only when you click on them.

@KRP 56 I'm not using a stock fan, I really cant remember the make and model at the moment. Need to find my boxes.

Are you still using the stock CPU fan cooler? If you don't want to go with water cooling you might consider a better aftermarket CPU fan cooler and many can be bought for a reasonable cost. I'm using a Zalman unit with an adjustable fan control. I crank it all the way up while gaming and it does a great job of keeping temps under control.

I'm using an Arctic Cooler fan at the moment, i use it at factory settings..

Rather similar to these guys http://www.ebuyer.com/253477-arctic-cooling-freezer-13-intel-and-amd-socket-heatpipe-cooling-fan-ucaco-fz130-bl?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products

What thermal compound are you using and is it four years old?(9950 came out about four years ago IIRC)

I might suggest a fresh application with some good stuff before buying a new cooler.

Did you have heat issues when your setup was new?

Edited by JohnTC02

I never had heat issues for the 1st few years, i think as the games are progressing they give more strain to the cpu cores and mostly causing it to get warm quick.. Especially playing in high resolutions

anyway, while you lot have been kindly spamming my thread, i've had a look at some on the net and this one caught my eye rather good!

It claims to be pre-filled with "liquid" easy set up and so so..

http://www.overclock...330&subcat=2262

Edited by squad_e

A program like Prime95 is going to generate as much heat four years ago as it is going to generate today as long as everything is in order. But I guess not everybody tests for maximum temps every now and then.

I know you are set on a new cooler but you do not need water for a 9950. I know, I know, the really early ones were 140W TDP, and later ones 125W TDP, but still.

Trying fresh thermal compound is a lot cheaper(and faster) than a new cooler and that is money you could be saving up toward a new CPU/mobo/RAM/etc in the future.

If it does not help, then fine, go water. But as someone who has been using his 9950 overclocked for the past four years, these CPUs may have a bad performance:heat ratio, but they do not need water except in certain edge cases; certainly not at stock speed. (or if your house is a real oven, but then it would have been giving you issues in the beginning and even then the ambient temps will still kill you under water)

The biggest thing you have to watch out for when replacing the heatsink on a CPU with massive IHS like these where the CPU is not held down like intel stuff is that you do not pull or pry the heatsink because that can rip the CPU out of the socket and then it is even harder to remove. Gotta twist it and try to break the heatsink free that way. ...If it is really glued on there, that depends what thermal compound you used.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose.

Edited by Oelmuvun

Thanks for the clean up, just to refresh your memory i'm using this one at the moment running at stock speed..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005IGVO9W/ref=asc_df_B005IGVO9W9744778?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=shopdc82322-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B005IGVO9W

@oelmuvun

I'll see what happens if i try using fresh thermal compounds, i guess this means getting surgical where the heart is right?.. My fan has got this great hobby of collecting dust too. it's also another reason why im thinking of getting a water cooled system as it seems more "tidy"

Any watercooled system still has a radiator with fans on it that collect dust.... unless you get a large car/truck radiator and run it passive in a custom WC loop. :P

But even then you still want some airflow over your motherboard, graphics card, and PSU so dust will collect there anyway.

Clearing out dust from everything is just part of having a PC in a dusty area. You could try filters for the intake fans on your case, but you need to make sure they stay clean too. :P

The biggest thing you have to watch out for when replacing the heatsink on a CPU with massive IHS like these where the CPU is not held down like intel stuff is that you do not pull or pry the heatsink because that can rip the CPU out of the socket and then it is even harder to remove. Gotta twist it and try to break the heatsink free that way. ...If it is really glued on there, that depends what thermal compound you used.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose.

Well, Since i have to pull out the thing to clean out the old glue for the new, i decided to buy myself the one i posted, should get it next week..

Thanks for all the positive feedback and links and clean up