Ghost Recon.net Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RileyFletcher_01

Guerilla Style Combat

Okay, when I start work on a mission pack for TXM, I want to make it a guerilla style affair, meaning no 'Kill All Enemies' objectives. The only time you have to kill someone or clear an area is in an assassination or something like a room/building clearing. No open combat, just sneakiness and evasion. How can I force the players to play this way? Usually I'd never want to restrict people to a certain style of play, but how can I make it so overwhelmingly difficult that the only way is to use guerilla tactics? You are untrained, civilian, revolutionist (just spoiled it oh well) facing a professional army, and as in real life you would die if you tried to fight them all. Maybe just make it look extremely preferable to do it the guerilla way? Any ideas?

In real life you, as an untrained civilian, cannot easily sneak around killing people and would be easily detected and shot.

*shrug*

It could work as long as there are no locked doors or patrols/guards and no detection systems around high value targets. :P

imo the key word here is untrained. Most(but not all) civilians are pretty useless on their own.

Edited by Oelmuvun

Eh, I worded it wrong. I'm trying to think of historical examples here, and I know there are some, maybe the Viet Cong? If you are untrained and have few troops, you're going to go guerilla not open warfare.

Really? American Revolution anyone?

Yea, but what I mean is if you pluck a modern boring office-dweller/etc out of their cubicle, they are probably going to last about five seconds.

You need someone who is not a brainless dunce sheep. :P

I suppose there are enough hunters/woodsmen/whatever around, but no matter what you need at least some training to even eat without modern society stuffing things into your face.

And that was the limit of my poking holes, simply that most people in our society today could not even begin to survive in the wild, let alone start any sort of guerilla operation. Not without some training that is... or a shipping container full of twinkies to eat while they figure things out.

There are a few strategies you can use to encourage more stealth than firefight. One simple strategy is to trigger reinforcements (preferable initially placed in a hidden map area) in response to excessive/non-stealthy killing of tangos. It is really not hard to send in a wave of skilled well armed reinforcements that will encourage people to not just go Rambo on a mission. One word of advice, be sure to spell this risk out in your briefing, players should be able to succeed at a mission on their first try if they read the briefing and think about the implications. In my opinion, this is the best strategy to encourage this type of play since it is somewhat realistic and does not impose artificial limits on play.

The second set of strategies revolve around artificial restrictions. The simplest (and least appealing IMO), is to simple count enemy casualties and end the mission if there are too many kills -- again you will want to spell this out in the briefing. Finally, if you add a scoring mechanism to your mission (e.g. award points for objectives and the like), then you can also deduct points for killing enemies (or losing teamates). This is still somewhat artificial, but provides a finer grained measure of how well a player team is performing on the mission.

If you look back through the history of GR tournament missions you will find implementations for most of these techniques.

Good luck.

@Oelmuvun, you've got some great points there so I need to elaborate. These guys are Mexican farmers/country people who've been oppressed for years. However, that still doesn't make them very good soldiers. Maybe have all of the good guy weapons somewhat inaccurate since they aren't great shooters, or would that be annoying?

@Oelmuvun, you've got some great points there so I need to elaborate. These guys are Mexican farmers/country people who've been oppressed for years. However, that still doesn't make them very good soldiers. Maybe have all of the good guy weapons somewhat inaccurate since they aren't great shooters, or would that be annoying?

Something akin to 'La Resistance' de la Deuxième Guerre mondiale?