My experience installing GRFS PC

CR6

Well, I figured I might as well share my trials and tribulations installing this game, and perhaps some people can learn from my experiences ...

First, this goes for anyone trying to get help in the Tech Support forums - make sure you list your system specs as follows:

OS/CPU/RAM/GPU/Driver version

I am running Windows 7 64-bit on a Core 2 Quad Q6600, 4GB RAM, GeForce 570, 301.42 WHQL driver

I purchased the Signature Edition boxed version of the game. The only place I could find it was at EB Games. No other big box stores in town were carrying it - no wonder PC sales are low if its not even on the shelves.

The boxed version comes with 2 DVDs. Makes sense as the final amount of HD space it takes is 15GB. Makes me wonder how they fit all this on one Xbox 360 DVD.

Anyone out there can tell me how many GB the Steam version is?

I figured I'd wait until a few patches before trying it out. Many people forget even old games like the original R6 needed a few patches before running smoothly.

This thing took me over an hour to install. Why?

- Install from DVDs - find out I better uninstall my old version of Punkbuster first. Also installs a 2008 version of C++ redistributable (different than the one BF3 uses) and DirectX runtimes

- Fire it up the first time and auto-patches to v1.1

- Start the game and installs Uplay

- Have to set up Uplay account - sheesh

- Fire up second time and auto-patches to v1.2

- Start the game and crashes after intro video

- Restart game and auto-patches to v1.3 (Ubi should develop a patching system that does subsequent patches all in one go - like Blizzard does)

- Start the game and crashes after intro video. I figure maybe I set the resolution too high (1900x1200) so I lower it to 1600x900

- Start the game and make it to the intro video of the first mission - crashes - says my driver stopped working and recovered. The game is actually still running - I can here the audio but no video and I have to force the game to quit through Windows Task Manager.

- I was running Nvidia's v285 driver so I decide to update to the latest 301.42

- Start the game and crashes a few seconds after intro video for first mission finishes. Says I got a runtime error.

- Restart the game and try to see if multiplayer works. Make it to the character selection screen and game crashes again.

From what I can see the graphics are pretty sweet. SP seems to be a lot of cut-scene storytelling going on.

Don't have time to fool around with this any longer tonight. See if I have better luck whenever I get time to try this again.

My install was free of crashes and I already had a uplay account which it connected to no problem (remember the gamespy issue with GRAW?).

I played a guerilla game first because I had already started the campaign on the PS3 and wanted to get straight into the action. The keys were pretty much set up how I like them by default so I was running around and scoping really quickly which was cool. The only thing that annoyed my off the bat was some HUD info flashing up over the crosshairs.

I left all the high end GFX settings switched off and was getting a very playable 40-60FPS on my 8800GTS at 1600x1050.

So over all the install and first run went really smooth for me.

Next is to play the entire campaign and compare it to the PS3 version I have.

Mine , everything worked fine , intallation , etc. But when I got into the game , the colours of the game were all messed up , sort of like rainbow like , majority of the color is blue.

And Yes Only this game had the problem , I've ran BF3 , D3 and stuff like CS6 , no problem .

Wondering how to fix it , i really love the game .

Hey Rocky. Great to hear GRFS is running fine on your rig. I am still hopeful I can get it going on mine

@sawitcoming - I replied to your post in the Tech Support forum. I too have run BF3, CoD, Starcraft 2 (on Ultra settings) no prob on this rig, so I know it's not a hardware issue.

Anyways, spent another 10 minutes with the game and I turned down all the graphics settings. Was able to make it past the 2nd save point on Nimble Guardian before crashing again ...

Technically the game is not crashing (because the game window is still active and the audio works), but causing the nVidia driver to crash. The nVidia driver recovers but the game visuals do not recover, and I have to force quit the game.

Well, 3rd try

Turned on DX11 and lowered the resolution further to 1280x800. Was able to play through a couple more checkpoints and was getting hopeful the game/driver wouldn't crash, but unfortunately it did. Tried it again 3 more times and continued to crash after a few minutes.

Then tried to change a few things in the Nvidia control panel - set preference to performance and turned off everything like ansiotropic filtering etc. Managed to get to the second mission in Africa but eventually crashed

I played another game for an hour previous to GRFS tonight and had no probs.

Well that was interesting, today I tried the campaign on the PC and found that the frame rate was unplayable, ie less than 10FPS.

Then I discovered you cannot change the graphics settings on the fly, you have to quit to main menu? Pathetic. Same with key binds. Double pathetic.

After putting all the graphic settings to low, the frame rate was still unplayable in the campaign, at 20-30 FPS, but the Guerilla mode as double that at 60FPS. Why the disparity?

Then I discovered you cannot change the graphics settings on the fly, you have to quit to main menu? Pathetic. Same with key binds. Double pathetic.

Likely a result of this being a straight port, but if BF3/CoD can do it, why can't Ubi? They really also need to have a skip intro option

Anyways, tried MP tonight. Funny thing is the game didn't crash but there was no one playing and I kept getting "connection to server lost" and got booted back to the main screen ...

Fired up the 2nd mission again - the optical camo effect when you are crouching is very cool. Too bad the game crashed before I got to the first checkpoint ...

I am thinking I probably have to try to install this on a different computer, but not sure if it's worth the time ...

Time to break out the Xbox version I guess ...

Just ventured over to the Ubi forums (I try to avoid them generally speaking) and found out lots of others are having the same prob.

http://forums.ubi.co...(excepted-input

Also, there is a "known issue" with the GF 570 which is the card I'm using. Glad to hear the devs are working on it. Hope Ubi doesn't pull the plug on support anytime soon

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Well, had some time over the holidays and patched the game to v1.5 and got Nvidia's latest v310 drivers.

Booted up the game and was able to play about 5 minutes before the "driver crashed"

If anyone has seen a workaround for GF 570 cards, please post it here.

Well, had some time over the holidays and patched the game to v1.5 and got Nvidia's latest v310 drivers.

Booted up the game and was able to play about 5 minutes before the "driver crashed"

If anyone has seen a workaround for GF 570 cards, please post it here.

Wow, you got 5 minutes of gameplay? I wish, I'm yet to crack 60 seconds I reckon.

I bought the game during the current Steam sale and have exactly the same issues you've had since starting this topic. I'm also using a Nvidia GTX 570. I've had issues with most DX11 games and this card but can usually find a work around but nothing yet for GR:FS. Will post again if I do have any luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Installed the v1.6 patch today and I got bad news and good news!

First, the bad news is that SP crashes even faster than before - I loaded up my last save point twice and it crashed within 5 seconds. Didn't bother trying a third time

Great news is that I actually played one round of MP! The first time I loaded up MP it said "Server Connection Lost" but at least it didn't crash the game, so I tried again and I was able to join in halfway through a match and played to its conclusion (approx 5 min). When the server started loading the next match I lost the connection again (but the game didn't crash!)

I tried joining another match again and got to a wait screen which somehow just ended and I gained 3 levels lol. While waiting for another round I tested out the firing range. Pretty great idea to let you test out your loadouts while waiting between matches. However, the countdown timer stalled at 10 sec and then the game crashed ... I got a little dialog box that said "Unable to recover. Device removed: Device hung due to badly formed commands"

I guess I will wait for the next patch now ...

I've been waiting for a true fix for ages, the good news is that they finally fixed the performance issues of the last mission "Shattered Mountain", BUT they relocked the weapons that were unlocked by the last patch (1.5). COME ON!!!!! LOL the only thing I feel I got out of this game are the TF2 hats.

• 1 month later...

With the recent release of Tomb Raider and it's problems with GF cards, there is more possible evidence that GR:FS is not going to work on GF 5xx cards without Ubi fixing/patching the code in the game. It won't matter how good Nvidias drivers are if the problem is on Ubi's end:

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2013/03/05/nvidia_gpu_performance_issues_in_new_tomb_raider

Hi Brent. You can try using the latest beta driver however, please note that we are aware of major performance and stability issues with GeForce GPUs running Tomb Raider with maximum settings. Unfortunately, NVIDIA didn't receive final code until this past weekend which substantially decreased stability, image quality and performance over a build we were previously provided. We are working closely with Crystal Dynamics to address and resolve all game issues as quickly as possible. In the meantime, we would like to apologize to GeForce users that are not able to have a great experience playing Tomb Raider, as they have come to expect with all of their favorite PC games.

We then followed up asking about an ETA for the new driver, and got this response:

Hi Brent, this isn't solely a driver issue. The developer needs to make some changes on their end to fix their issues on GeForce GPUs. This will require code changes to the game.