Remake GR on a new engine?

twcrash

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I have to ask, why start from scratch when someone has already made some missions for ARMA II?

Why not get in contact with him and try to take it further?

Well besides no matter what it's still ArmA 2. It looks, feels and runs like ArmA 2. As good as Lightspeeds missions are it still feels like ArmA 2 not GR.

On another note found an interesting sound editing website people are raving about. Maybe could be used for making new sounds as well.

The Open Octave Project

http://www.openoctave.org/

You will need to have some clear differences between the remake and the original, no matter what you call it.

I would worry about that bridge if we ever get to it. Right now its building something that would satisfy OGR players not remaking the EXACT same game. When we talk about an HD version we are really talking about the way the game played and felt not making every single aspect,name ect the same. Imagine new missions that were gorgeous and played and felt like a HD GR. When I talk about a HD version that is what I mean. It could be called Paladins Plinker as long as it played like GR of old with a awesome facelift :)

Edited by twcrash

You will need to have some clear differences between the remake and the original, no matter what you call it.

accidental double post not sure why please delete this one!! thank you!!!

Edited by twcrash

I'll have to echo Biro here and say that to get something like this from the ground to finished product you are going to atleast need a small miracle!

Sure there's free resources out there that could be used but more times than not they are of crap quality or just plain unsuited for gameuse, even some models for sale through places like turbosquid need a fair bit of work before they are useable.

I have been considering planning a Ghost Recon style campaign for ARMA 3 when it is released.

I know some people will be reluctant because of the Graphical Demand the ARMA engine requires on computers. However this is now 2012 and with the improvement in the engine a gaming PC from 2009-10 ($790-1000) would be more than enough to handle the game.

What I plan to do is take Ghost Recon 2 to the PC using the mission concepts but alter the storyline to fit the units available (instead of NKA it would be Iranian).

Coupled with the futuristic weapons in ArmA 3 i think it would go well together and with the new animations and effects.

This is still mostly a pipe dream and I can't really begin to do any work until ArmA 3 comes out at the end of the year.

Can we keep it on topic here? if you want to start a ArmA 3/ GR remake thread I am cool with it but dont hijack this one to start it. And I am amazed how quick some of you throw in the towel on the idea. I mean did we ever think we would have a FPS view of a weapon in GR? Guess what? we do now. or ask GRAW2 players if when they first bought that game that all the stuff the mod community has done for it would be possible you would get a resounding "no" but they did it didn't they? Don't underestimate the power of freewill.Anything is possible.

Will you just be doing mission scripting or will you be making assets as well?

Will PM you more details of my ideas!

Can we keep it on topic here? if you want to start a ArmA 3/ GR remake thread I am cool with it but dont hijack this one to start it. And I am amazed how quick some of you throw in the towel on the idea. I mean did we ever think we would have a FPS view of a weapon in GR? Guess what? we do now. or ask GRAW2 players if when they first bought that game that all the stuff the mod community has done for it would be possible you would get a resounding "no" but they did it didn't they? Don't underestimate the power of freewill.Anything is possible.

Sorry I did not mean to Hijack this thread, just thought I would share a cool idea I have been thinking about to try and give life to GR2 for the PC, as it never had the chance thanks to Ubisoft.

A mod I think is the only way to do this as the community here does not have the manpower to start from scratch with an engine.

Although if you were to pick an egine I would say Cryengine 3.

Edited by loosebruce

I Admire your determination ;)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking hard about this. Modeling/animations/art/rigs/sounds etc.... is a big undertaking but with dedicated modding members it is not impossible.

The basics need to be set up, assignments sent to the developers, and goals met.

Name: (unknown)

Engine: Cryengine SDK (free to distribute the end build?)

Type of game: First person, tactical shooter.

Decription: Focusing on Elite light infantry soldiers. Such as Army Alpha Detachments.

Key note: Dont fix what isn't broken. All GR needed was an improved engine and a first person weapon. With some minor control tweaks. Creating a game based off of this with unrestricted access to code shouldn't scare us away. We have been saying we should do this for years.

Unlike years ago though, we now have engines available to modify at our will.

If we had lot's of people to contribute we could push through it with ease, but we are lacking manpower.

We need to convince more people to contribute first.

The hard part is that, sticking to GR formula, we can't bring people from other games, like Infiltration or OFP. They would request the same features they had in their previous games.

~~~~~~

Talking about features now, what is needed for Ghost Recon? Thinking about it, almost nothing!

Because really, what made GR different was the focus on stealth and the one shot one kill ideology. I suppose this can be easily achieved with modern engines.

So, still, we lack a lot of models, maps and textures. Well, for these mostly time is needed so no need to rush.

I think it's doable :)

Create it as an open source game asset thing. Basically. People contribute but can use any of the assets in other works. Such as COD, BF3, or Armed Assault?

A community mod art asset. Could bring in people, random donations, and further promote the game itself?

Edited by pz3

Create it as an open source game asset thing. Basically. People contribute but can use any of the assets in other works. Such as COD, BF3, or Armed Assault?

A community mod art asset. Could bring in people, random donations, and further promote the game itself?

Yep, I think that could work. We first need to create our own repository, that we could offer to others (obviously) modders. An exchange, favourable to both sides.

Also, if it was avaiable to all to see (but not to use), it would prevent thieving to some extent, as people could easily track the models back to the original source.

^^^ progress! Now if we can start setting all of it up. We just need a website :)

and by building it as an asset library. we could potentially switch engines. The onlything is we are building the game backwards from most development standpoints. Could get interesting though.

Edited by pz3