Ghost Recon.net Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Stinger

New box for parents.

They have decided that they want to buy a new computer, and their old one is just too crapped up (it will shut down in the middle of them typeing a long email etc). So they want a monitor and computer for low level gaming I guess I would say. It pretty much has to be prefab but if not maybe okay. The most intense game on it now is either the Sims or Empire Earth (my sises). So what are your reccs?

Your looking at a high ghz Duron or one of the slower Athlons (somewhere around 1.2-1.4ghz) They out-perform and out-price anything Intel can offer. Running a kt266a, kt333, kt400, nf415 or nf2 chipset (if you build).

It should be easy to make due with 256mb ddr ram, maybe 512, but I doubt it needs that much.

Hdd... just pick one of the capacity they need. My 40gb is still only half full after half a year.

Graphics: Ati. They're 9000 or 8500 chips offer great performance and are usually cheaper than a ti4200 while offering fewer headaches (is it just me, or are nvidia people always in the search for drivers that work, new or old?). If you want, pick up a ti4200 64mb, still cheap but effective. This will also allow some better gaming in the future, plus you can use it as a backup if you screw your own pc up :P

From there you can add basicly what you want. All this can be had for a small bit of money (computer wise) while still offering complete upgrading ability if you build it yourself.

They shouldn't need more than 256DDR RAM I think.

This will also allow some better gaming in the future, plus you can use it as a backup if you screw your own pc up
U got a point, I almost thought about steering them in the direction of a P4 so I could take their mobo with an AGP slot for myself :D:rolleyes: Sorry God hehe. What is the most stable AMD mobo? I should tell you what they currently haveALSO:

800MHz AMD Athlon IIRC

256MB PC133 SDRAM

TNT2 PRO lmao

Crappy CD-RW and Crappy DVD/CD Drives

Crappy Creative sound

And 20GB HDD.

P.S. RooK I have in 3ish months used up over 40GB of space lol

All that Rook has suggested should be sufficient. The TI4200 64mb will be the best for cheap. 256 DDR should be fine. If you get a P4 mobo, maybe 256 RD would be nice. AMD XP 1700+ is what I sport right now (about to upgrade), but they are pretty cheap and fast. Don't know of any soundcard that they might wanna pick up, just like a Audigy pci card or somethin. MSI KT3 chipsets are great mobos imo. It all just depends on what your parents are willin to dish out.

id have to agree with Rook, also now that the durons are being fazed out they are unbelievably cheap .

any of the lower priced cards from the latest batch would be good , you can build yourself or get your local small computer store to throw it together you can also ask them for a flyer on their latest specials and add or remove till it suits you most small stores seem to have no problem helping a customer like this

lmao lol. I doubt they need a gf4 at all onboard video and sound would most likely even be okay. Any good mobos with onboard sound? I think if I make a list for my mom to take to work to give to her friend whos husband is an IT guy with the schools he can and will build it cheaply. Is it worth it for me to get a low end 1600 XP AMD CPU? I know they need at least 256MB RAM though for sure. They and my sis couldn't tell the diff between integrated sound and a Creative Audigy 2 or hell even a Audigy 1 billion so I doubt sound will be that important. What about a GF4 MX460? Are those any good or should they stay away from the mx series? More than performance I need to have stability. Cause in a few more years I am gone and they have no more tech guru in the house to help them figure out small and large probs. Thanks again guys!

well if they arent really going to use a TI to its potentual then at the moment the gf4 mx 440 is the cheapest its ever been , also i dont think its worth going that large and expensive a cpu id stick with an older duron or athlon and maybe a kt333 mobo that supports pc133 or ddr ram keeps the cost down throw in a 40 gig maxtor or somthing and your set great onboard sound tho not the best, a msi kt3 ultra 2 or somthing like that even a ECS sis 730 mobo works good with durons /athlons, cheap and reasonably powerfull and fully upgradable later

Why not trick your parents into buyin a killer system, give em your comp and then you have all the goods...N/M. Just get an nforce2 with onboard graphics...don't know bout onboard sound though...

Onboard graphics, even with the nforce2's being gf4mx level, SUCK. Just about any board includes some form of onboard sound (which I suggest you use), the only one that doesnt that comes to mind is the Abit KX7-333. Just check the stats before you buy the board.

The only boards that still use pc133 ram are utilizing the kt133 chipset and are unbelievably slow compared to new chipsets and ddr ram. Plus it would cost more to upgrade to a ddr board (which all are). Rambus ram is out of the question along with Intel, it's money that doesn't need to be spent. Besides, the performance gain from rdr1011 (the 800 is crap) would be stupid on such a low end system as it is.

The most stable chipset for AMD atm is either a kt266a or kt333. The nforce1's are also a good choice, but are slightly slower than the kt333. Nforce2's are wonderful, but are a bit expensive compared to a base kt333 model. Still, it maybe an option if you find a cheap version (all nforce2s perform within 2% of each other!). Another option (and cheap at that) is the MSI board with the Sis 745 is slightly slower than other options, but I hear it is rock solid (and better than ECS). Plus... it has some nice overclocking functions you might want to secretly fiddle with sometime. :rolleyes:

I would stay away from MX cards. They are a piece of crap (no offense Stinger) and you would be better off buying a GF3 ti200 or ti500. What I mentioned above in my first reply stays true. Get them a decent card, cause they may find a game to play that will use the better graphics plus, as I said, it makes it a good backup for you.

The 1600XPs are fine. Games really depend on graphics more that cpus anymore, so any cpu over 1.2ghz should last over a year performance wise.

Stinger, if you had any brains, you'd be contemplating how to get your parents to buy your system from you (for a slight discount ofc) and you would be building your own system from the money. You could even take one of the sticks of ram out of it to use in your new system. They'd never know. You'd also learn how rad an AMD cpu is :P

I for sure know they won't use a Ti card to its full ever. And youre right about the CPU too I think. Any recs for a case? Or a psu?

Maxtor 40GB 5400RPM Hard Drive 2MB OEM $76

Duron 1.3GHz w/ Socket A heatsink & fan, 2 SDRAM DIMMs, VIA KTE133/VT82C686B $74.99

ASUS V8170DDR/SE Geforce4 MX440 64MB 128 bit AGP 2X/4X TV-OUT RETAIL$66

Sound $

Case $?

PSU $?

CD-RW $48

DVD/CD $10 or more

512MB PC133 Ram $40

How good is this Dell?

So far at 305+Monitor

I can't find stats on the VIA KTE133 mobo. :(

The KT133 (same thing) is old (from the first era of ddr, otherwise it wouldnt allow sdram) and slower than heck. Plus it isn't too stable.

Edited by RooK

i myself have a dell 4300 p4 1.5ghz with 256sdram turtle beach santa cruz sound card 32 meg geforce 2(kife, i know.. more about vid card in a moment) and have had no real probs(related to hardware or dell software) and it is stable and all but dell's slogan should be a twist on the oldsmobile ads, "This IS your father's computer" i bought a radeon 9500pro and it will not fit in the box 'cause of the cards fan :wall: dell likes to move things around go here to make things easier for their techies to service them so upgrading hardware is a pain in the butt. and i can only use kingston technologies ram to upgrade 'cause i've bought like 3 dif blocks of ram and they do nay work. but for the parents it's o.k.

It sounds like the Dell is proly the answer cause they are nervous about me or anybody building a custom compuiter. My mom know just a bit about computer but thinkshe knows a lot more and is somewhat odd in computer terms. Tha proly made no sense but yeah.

I am hoping this will last them for quite some time though. Like 4 or 5 maybe 6 years....is that reasonable?

What type of work do they do on it? If its e-mail and typing documents type work, you probably won't need a high end Dell, but somethin that will last them as long as you've said. Maybe like 1.5 Ghz with 256 DDR or somethin of the like. Reasonably priced Dells I think come with either a 32 or 64 mb vid card either ATI 7500 or somethin of the like...Try their website and have your parents take a look at the choices. Just depends on what they wanna pay...Dells are pretty reliable comps though that should last em.

They do Email and Documnets work. My sister is the only prob she does some gaming like Sims and Empire Earth but that is as complicated as it gets and the TNT2 even handles that fine. I think my mom likes the Flat Monitor lmao, she likes that deal and whenever I bring up a new idea she mentions

'flat monitor comes with it right"?

It's terrible that marketing hype that people use to get consumers to buy expensive things. Bad part is, they fall for it :angry:

Stinger, 4-5 years? Seriously doubt it. Maybe 2 years at the max. The last time I had a pc 5 years old was when I had a 486 dx2 (50mhz) and top of the line was 600mhz. Mine could barely run Win95, let alone do anything useful :P

Well the one they are gonna replace is over 4 years old IIRC maybe 5...I can't really convinve them otherwise though :( Too paranoid of probs.

What can I say Stinger? People fear the unknown, sorta like my mom and me building a pc. But I've had fewer problems out of this pc, and the ones I've had are easy to fix. Same can't be said about a HP we aquired, it is and always was a pain in the ######.

The pc they're replace is a 800mhz AMD, right? If so, it is 2-2 1/2 years old. We've come a long way since then.

Edited by RooK

Well replace the 800MHz AMD or the STABLE 300MHz celeron. Both suck but atleast the celeron is stable. I will try to grab the AMD box and OC the heck out of it so I can learn on it b4 applying to my rig.And I can get those CPU's cheap.

What can I say Stinger? People fear the unknown, sorta like my mom and me building a pc.
100% True man I just wish she would get it but not gonna happen. Edited by Stinger

That HP that is unstable is a 700mhz Cerelon... It's not the cpu that controls stability but the quality of the components it runs on/with.