Longer Firefights

Any tips on making firefights between players and AI last longer? Usually it's either

a) get killed, quickload, get killed, quickload, kill the dude, go on,

or

b) run in and wipe all twenty of them out.

Seems a lot of times I need numbers to make it more challenging. Actually, I'm not having any trouble making it challenging, especially in co-op which doesn't allow quicksaving, but I just want longer and more intense firefights. Any way to get the enemy AI to last longer? I want some missions to take at least half an hour to complete.

• 2 months later...

I doesnt no how, but i will agree with you. :thumbsup: Some bigger maps cut also be perfect :rolleyes: Maybe you can change the armour number ( as i know, it's from 1-8, and normally in the original it's only 1-3 on the players and enemies. Was seeing these for some time ago, but can't remember how to do.)

Teppe

PS: It cut really be nice with some very big maps :clapping:

The problem in my opinion is that both the player and the AI are too deadly for extended fights.. unless you had waves of backup on both sides.

If you simply nerf the gun power/accuracy to draw out fights it is not realistic and is frustrating(given GR's distances). If you use regen health and add armour it is still not realistic and still is frustrating.

Unless you have a good proper piece of cover that can absorb the fire(GR sadly has little concealment) and another ghost flanking to take out the guy suppressing you.. death is too quick.

Sooo.. hum.. Go play CoD? :P:rofl:

You could make a pistols only restriction and play that! That might be interesting. Actually it IS fun in tight GRAW maps.

Or go play ARMA II, stick 50 baddies in a spot and then 50 friendlies nearby and then go at it! :o=

• 3 weeks later...

The best missions I have played are with the bolt-on expansion pack Mission HX. Random mission generator, it's beautiful and skyclad has been updating and improving it from the original, there are some really good improvements over the original.

Here's how I play it, I create my platoon loadout in SP, copy that info over into the coop_avatar.toe file and make read only. Then in coop I turn on team respawns so that if I die I can respawn, switch back to squad I was in, and then have the guy at insertion rejoin his squad.

The missions are set up so that you can loop around through the objectives and avoid having to endure having to go through a lot of empty map. Also, with backup + spawns, you avoid the dreaded run from spawn that I simply hate.

MIssion HX with Centcom requires you to either use all SD or to have respawns, because you will face an RPG hell that will remind you of DOOM.

• 2 months later...

lol Oelmuvun, i will not agree with :P With the accuary thing. I mean in real life guns arent so precise like in this game. It mainly because the battles in real-world last so long, but also because soldiers are finding cover, shooting in a keind of some seconds, then going to cover again. They wouldn't risk their life like in OGR by just shooting one place and standing there. Thats what i try to do in DSF.

Teppe

I think sometimes we have a tendency to make the weapons do more than they should. Example is Guys I play with all played with nothing but DA 49, Silent Killers which is, to say the least cyco weapons. They have no spread, You can scope ALL the way across the map with a P90, The maps are ultra clear, you can snipe while running ect. Well when I introduced playing missions with , what I considered more realistic mods, IE Navy Seals, Aries Shrike, DTD, Frostbite yadda yadda. They couldn't cope with the changes and almost always died and complained the missions and or mods were too hard. So the point I am making is that if it's too easy maybe change your loadout, crank up a better mission, limit the respawns or increase the hardness to Elite. There are some AWESOME missions that if you play them the way they were meant to be played, they are downright nasty and require great team work. That is my suggestion.

YOTM has pretty long firefights. Actually, in that mod (and in WOI btw) it's simply better to avoid, if possible, the enemy. Let your sniper take care of it or throw a grenade at them, or simply run past them.

The firefights were pretty lenghty by GR standards (20 seconds or more, if I remember right, unlike the 5 second norm seen in the rest of the game).

The weapons, actually, were pretty accurate, but you, most of the time, couldn't see all the enemies at once (think "Defend", the game-type). I'm sure most of you played these two mods, you get what I mean.

Also, in WOI, I got the feeling the enemy gets some lucky shots on you, but they really like to press the trigger!

• 8 months later...

Bit of an old thread - but, something you can do is go in an manipulate the AI's intelligence through the cmbtmodl file. There not there by default but these three lines can be added in and you can do some tweaking from there.

<EliteEnemySkillAdjustment>2</EliteEnemySkillAdjustment>
<EliteEnemyAimFactor>0.750000</EliteEnemyAimFactor>
<EliteEnemyDelayFactor>0.750000</EliteEnemyDelayFactor>

To simulate a longer firefight between friendly & enemy you can tweak your friendly ai's intelligence to more closely match that of the enemy AI.

By, default your friendly Elite AI have a lower skill cap than the enemy Elite AI.

The default is at -2

<EliteFriendlySkillAdjustment>-2</EliteFriendlySkillAdjustment>

So you can slightly bump that up to match.

Another thing you can do is lower their kill chance, while keeping all other attributes higher.

So, to sum it up - if I was wanting to make the firefights last as long as possible - i'd so something like this:

<EliteEnemySkillAdjustment>3</EliteEnemySkillAdjustment> Slightly higher skill than default Elite Enemy

<EliteFriendlySkillAdjustment>1</EliteFriendlySkillAdjustment> A lot higher skill than default Elite Friendly

<EliteEnemyAimFactor>1.250000</EliteEnemyAimFactor> - Worse Aim than default Elite
<EliteEnemyDelayFactor>0.250000</EliteEnemyDelayFactor> -Faster Reaction than default Elite

Then in your mission create multiple defend zones in all the places you'd like to have longer sustained firefights - increase their spotting distance on the environment until it's almost the same as the huamns - give them special kits that have lots of ammo per magazine - put their ROE on suppressiion and create triggers for when they die enemies from behind them run to the new zones and resume defense. You could also create some special ATR files that have higher endurance stats but lower weapon stats to mix in with your regular ones.

You can sometimes quadruple the length of a typical firefight following something like that.

Edited by VeLocityChaos

I checked the 'Equip' - 'Cmbtmdl' file or whatever it's called, but there was not these lines... I thought I was insane, why I didn't post here.

Oh, they are not there by default but can be added! :-P

Here are all of the extra ones that I know about:

<ArcadeModeKillChanceFactor>0.500000</ArcadeModeKillChanceFactor><RecruitFriendlyKillChanceFactor>0.500000</RecruitFriendlyKillChanceFactor><RecruitFriendlySkillAdjustment>2</RecruitFriendlySkillAdjustment>

<RecruitEnemySkillAdjustment>-3</RecruitEnemySkillAdjustment>

<RecruitEnemyDelayFactor>1.250000</RecruitEnemyDelayFactor><VeteranEnemyDelayFactor>1.050000</VeteranEnemyDelayFactor>

<RecruitEnemyAimFactor>1.350000</RecruitEnemyAimFactor>

The engine scales the intelligence based on the difference between the two. For example, if you have the EliteEnemyAimFactor at 0.75 & the RecruitEnemyAimFactor at 1.35 - the "Veteran" mode here is determined at as the average of the two.

If you put bad values like "1.6" for elite and "0.5" for recruit the game will crash. So, as far as I know the values above are the defaults - the skill caps I believe scale from -3 to +3 -- I've tried stupid high numbers like 9999 in the Skill and I don't notice any difference after +3

The skill values are supposed to affect pathfinding, cover usage and how the ATR stats are used overall.

AimFactors & Delay =Lower is better

Skill Adjustment - Higher equals better (-3 to +3)

Edited by VeLocityChaos

Hard to tell if there are any differences but I'll keep trying.

It's probably been seven years since i've messed with this file -- but try these values and you should notice that they are a bit slower to react to you.

<RecruitEnemyDelayFactor>5.000000</RecruitEnemyDelayFactor><VeteranEnemyDelayFactor>4.000000</VeteranEnemyDelayFactor>

<EliteEnemyDelayFactor>3.000000</EliteEnemyDelayFactor>

I've got a few of these configs built and stored in some folders somewhere - we used to use them a lot in conjunction with custom ATR's & Hantrox Mods to make the AI a bit tougher.

• 2 months later...

<ArcadeModeKillChanceFactor>0.500000</ArcadeModeKillChanceFactor><RecruitFriendlyKillChanceFactor>0.500000</RecruitFriendlyKillChanceFactor><RecruitFriendlySkillAdjustment>2</RecruitFriendlySkillAdjustment>

<RecruitEnemySkillAdjustment>-3</RecruitEnemySkillAdjustment>

<RecruitEnemyDelayFactor>1.250000</RecruitEnemyDelayFactor><VeteranEnemyDelayFactor>1.050000</VeteranEnemyDelayFactor>

<RecruitEnemyAimFactor>1.350000</RecruitEnemyAimFactor>

This Job in Island Thunder ????????????