There is hope yet.....

So, I feel like an idiot. After ranting and raving about GRFS being the worst game to yet, partly because of the third-person view point, I feel like an idiot because I just saw a video of gameplay footage. This is the damned closest we've had to OGR since 2001. It's a damned nice breath of fresh air from the noobs of CoD and the stupid restrictive environments of GRAW and GRAW2. There was not a single mission outside of a city or otherwise industrial complex in the entire game, and while that was the 'style', we got a nice mix in OGR. The trailer shows a beautifully textured landscape all outside, at least as far as I saw. I've had a complete change of mind set tonight and I'd advise others to do so as well. Even though they could do alot better, including (in my opinion) a first person viewpoint, this actually could be more realistic seeing as you get more 'peripheral vision' with the TP view. They haven't gone overboard with the futuristic crap, your guy doesn't 'turn invisible' and stay that way; you blend with your environment, but when you start running or moving quick your camo fades away. I love this because it actually will allow some stealth; OGR allowed some in TvT, but not too much because of the wild OICW gunners and the lack of good cover positions on some maps. GRAW1 and GRAW2 kicked stealth in the ass and threw it out in the rain, same as CoD did. While a little hokey to a serious modern-military style gamer like me, I like the fact that stealth will be a feature in this game. Your AI also look like it's gonna be the first 'smart yet controllable AI', by that I mean, we don't

a) get to have a team full of idiots (GR, GRAW1, GRAW2)

b) watch our awesome invincible Rambo-Bond NPC allies run around killing people (CoD, BF)

We actually get some less-than-completely-insane men who CAN be controlled. These guys aren't running around shooting while they're on recon, they're coordinating shots with you and talking to you. Not sure if you can control them like in the former games of the series, I'll just have to see.

With that said, I am definitely going to watch this thing; it could turn out to be even better than I'm expecting.

So, I feel like an idiot. After ranting and raving about GRFS being the worst game to yet, partly because of the third-person view point, I feel like an idiot because I just saw a video of gameplay footage. This is the damned closest we've had to OGR since 2001.

LOL, don't feel bad, I think we're all a little cautious and wary with good reason, and the pre-reboot game design and marketing before Ubisoft went back to the drawing board sure didn't help.

But the game does look very promising, third-person perspective actually looks like an asset in how this game is being realized, that we have actual SEALs mocaped and directing the design to some extent doesn't hurt either...

There are still some red flags on the field as far as the PC release, I've even started threads on a few, but Ubisoft appears to be clearing most of the hurdles with surprising grace -- if the PC release looks as good as the console game we might very well have a winner!

:zorro:

Edited by 101459

You're really missing something if you don't give Ghost Recon a whirl; of course you'll still be missing out on some of the multi-player precedents the game set as there are no where near the number of MP games there were a decade ago, and Ghost Recon's bevy of outstanding game modes set industry firsts that haven't been duplicated aren't played as much now.

Still you should have no problem finding friends here willing to help you explore the game, play COOP with, and try out some of the (literally) Terabytes of Mod, Total Conversion, and Add-On content -- much of which is up to the standard of the retail game and in some cases even surpasses it.

The game is ridiculously affordable and would still be a great value at the launch retail price, but can typically be had for a fraction of that -- but be prepared to set your expectations aside of what a tactical realism game "should be" based on other games that came after and experience what Ghost Recon is, and it's a fair bet you be stunned by the depth of features, options, quality, atmosphere, and playability Ghost Recon offers.

:)

Edited by 101459