YETI

Could GR:FS be the first YETI Engine game on PC? In fact do we even know if it will be on YETI? If it is, that might be cause for some PC Fan excitement as not only is YETI a very capable engine, bringing it to PC means the game may well not be a simplistic fast and dirty port like we typically see with Unreal Engine derivative games. Adding to this prospect is that GR:FS is obviously a flagship Ubisoft game that they've invested enormous amount of time and money in -- with one would expect the anticipation of competing in the blockbuster realism market. Delivering a high quality PC version of the game would be one giant step in that direction.

:unsure:

LOL cool! I actually bought LOST for PC, as I recall it looked really good at the time, but I didn't care much for the game and really didn't give it much of a chance. I was under the impression that the PC version of the game was on the Unreal Engine but can find nothing to indicate that either way -- so gotta go dig and find it, install it and have another closer look. Has anyone here played Beowulf or LOST on PC enough to have a good look at how solid the PC version of the game was and to confirm the engine under it?

:zorro:

Edited by 101459

I found, installed, and can confirm that LOST: Via Domus is in fact an all platform YETI engine game; so the Wikipedia article does in fact pertain to the PC iteration of the game as well. The engine and art assets still look impressive, even current, in this four years old game, and while there aren't a lot of configuration options -- that doesn't seem to be to be a liability on my PC.

This version of YETI appears to be a deferred render engine, and anti-aliasing appears to have been judiciously applied to render targets making everything look very sharp, theres no nasty Z fighting artifacts like we still see on DICE's or Epic's engines, and there's a bit of the 'uncanny valley' effect on the player models not unlike what you see in L.A. Noire sans the impressive facial and character animation of that game.

Contrasting this game with what's been shown in the GR:FS videos has me even more enthusiastic about GR:FS's PC prospects; this is a very capable and efficient engine, and it looks a fair bet we'll have a game that's certainly an aesthetic cut above anything that came before it, and perhaps even raises the bar for realism game's on PC.

It would be neat to see Ubisoft take an understated and underexposed approach to the PC release, and pleasantly surprise everyone including the cynical pundits... Might even happen!

Edited by 101459

An addendum: was late last night when I got home and finally tried the game, it appears it's not in fact deferred render (a very good thing IMHO and why the game looks so sharp), as I had left MSAA on in my global driver settings. It also appears that YETI is (like most engines) a derivative of other engines, middleware and in-house work -- in this case of Unreal 2.5 according to this synopsis on ModDB.

As every iteration of the Unreal engine supports high granularity configuration for PC and render settings, it might be good to start a 'wish list' of features that were supported in Unreal 2.5, but are disabled or don't appear to be offered in YETI as yet like:

· configuration console

· frame rate telemetry

· latency telemetry

· fov adjustment

· a real server browser (in addition to any default 'match making' feature)

· advanced render settings

So, not in line with some of the initial hypothesis explored in my first post, but interesting and promising nonetheless as it shouldn't be too difficult to incorporate coveted PC features. Depending on what middleware is licensed in the engine, and how that's been done -- being derivative of the Unreal 2.5 renderer could also bode well for mod-ability...

:)

Edited by 101459

• 1 month later...

Does Ghost Recon Online use the yeti game engine on PC?, what does it say in the game folder files?.

Yup it's YETI too and I commented about this elsewhere... It's a little strange that the same studio that is making GR:O will also be doing GR:FS and it would be stranger still if GR:FS PC was not on YETI, though that seems unlikely. Also odd are the similarities and differences in how GR:O looks compared to what we've been shown of GR:FS...

Edited by 101459