Why are you so desperately trying to convince people that Macs are not a viable gaming platform when all facts point to the contrary? As the amazing 11% sales share within just one week of Steam for Mac shows, there are plenty of people happily gaming on Macs (me included). Once people get used to a modern, stable, and secure operating system, it's only natural that they are reluctant to resort to Windows for gaming.

When even Valve states that a game is 80% less likely to crash on Mac vs. Windows, wouldn't you agree that it might be a good idea to give Mac gaming a try? As has been pointed out before, now that more and more developers cater to the Mac by supporting open standards like OpenGL, chances are that games will also make a bigger entry to the Linux market. And multi-platform support for games is the topic of this thread, after all.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are you so desperately trying to convince people that Macs are not a viable gaming platform when all facts point to the contrary? As the amazing 11% sales share within just one week of Steam for Mac shows, there are plenty of people happily gaming on Macs (me included). Once people get used to a modern, stable, and secure operating system, it's only natural that they are reluctant to resort to Windows for gaming.

When even Valve states that a game is 80% less likely to crash on Mac vs. Windows, wouldn't you agree that it might be a good idea to give Mac gaming a try? As has been pointed out before, now that more and more developers cater to the Mac by supporting open standards like OpenGL, chances are that games will also make a bigger entry to the Linux market. And multi-platform support for games is the topic of this thread, after all.

No, i am just stating that mac's are still not where they need to be for a gaming enthusiast. For a casual gamer they can work especially for older titles, but don't expect even a very expensive mac to play a game like BF BC2 @ medium to high res. My q6600 pc can and does @ over 100fps and i haven't upgraded it in 2 years. Price... 1700 with the parts i built it from. Could i use linux on it... yes (although i don't). Can i use mac o/s... nope.

Macs are still too closed of a system. They are better and intel definately helped them get there... as they are internally more pc like but i still can't recommend them as a pc will give you more bang for your buck.

Also.. crashing? re-read the statement

" Portal (with the same code base across platforms) is one fifth as likely to crash on a Mac than on Windows"

That means "steam portal" not the games LOL.

Taken from this link... http://store.steampowered.com/news/3837/

And for stability... Windows 7 is great.

Also ... i don't think i could game with just one button... :P

[...]No, i am just stating that mac's are still not where they need to be for a gaming enthusiast.[...]

Agreed.

[...]a pc will give you more bang for your buck.[...]

Agreed - in regard to gaming enthusiasts. Admittedly, the Mac Pro is still too much of a 'professional' machine (read: workstation) - with a price to match - to be purchased/used solely for gaming.

[...]" Portal (with the same code base across platforms) is one fifth as likely to crash on a Mac than on Windows"

That means "steam portal" not the games LOL.

Nope, as stated by Valve founder Gabe Newell:

[...]What's sort of surprising is how much more stable our games are on the Mac. Looking at the early data available from the Steam client, the Mac is five times more stable than Windows when using the metric of minutes played versus number of crashes.[...]graphics performance is much less of a concern overall compared to finding ways to offer a better user experience, such as the greater stability on the Mac.[...]I think we're starting to enter a period where graphics performance is sort of a solved problem.[...]

Please note the last sentence. That's exactly how I feel about it. My MacBook Pro is fast enough for me and I simply cannot be bothered with starting up my dust-collecting overclocked PC for the few extra frames, let alone lugging it to LAN parties. It's just not worth the hassle anymore, especially in view of the Mac's stability advantage. But maybe I'm just getting old. ;)