BF3: First Impression Release Version

Lancer

Simply brilliant. Maps are huge, well thought out and diverse. Personal favourite map is 'Seine Crossing' which, has the feel of WWII street fighting to it especially when battered about a bit. Writing from experience, you can get killed very easily just wandering about sight seeing. The graphics, due to the blue icons, look more GRAW than BF2 which, is not a bad thing. Made me feel at home. The various AA options and friendly air cover have put a stop to the 'copter domination of BF2. The air side of things normally fight amongst themselves and leave the grunts alone. You even have spawns that start on carriers and beach assaults!

I'm waiting for the slackers that I run with to get the game so that I can try out the Co-Op. Hopefully, it will be as good a the MP side of things.

I really can't find much wrong with the game thus far.

@Zebb. And the guns are the right way round this time :rocky:

Edited by Lancer

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here... A couple of the maps are a little tight but they're still 100x better than Nowhere or Headquarters. I was in a couple of absolutely insane firefights on The Paris Metro map on Conquest around the center flag. That's a really well-designed area and while it's technically "linear" there's still plenty of room for multiple squads to maneuver.

Feeling sry for a lot of people out there right now for not being able to play the game, from multiply issues. Hope they fix all in a speedy manner.

All has been near flawless my side so far. Probably a first for me. <_<

SP has been really good, not far off the finish. Looks fantastic overall. Yeah it is a generic run forward trigger, kill. But some nice moments, and I like the story so far. The sounds, maybe with my new headset, are the nicest touch for me, I think graw sounds back in the days gave that same wow feeling. Run SP with Ultra settings, averaging 50 FPS now.

MP well not really into it, but I played some games so far. It is a huge world out there, lot of strange maps. Going to play some more of this for sure. Fun having the vehicles in there, I like nothing more than annoying and killing the tanks. Had a littlebird maybe fly over with a MG gunner firing at me. Crouched, pointed at the gunner and fired, he fell out and hit the dirt, awesome.

Maps look awesome, really enjoying the atmosphere on all I have tried so far. I was running high settings in MP with FPS of around 75. Switching to medium I see hardly anything to cry about. Still a very good looking game.

Tried the Sparta server last night, but seems it is just an infintry only server? Have to check if they run a full game mode, but was fun. Hope we can get a gr.net server running soon. Think this will be a very popualar game.

For those with issues... check the warning at the top of battlelog and follow the link to download the punkbuster updates.

A few clanmates of mine had issues from the cd version (not bought through origin) and this cleaned them up.

I'm losing a lot of sleep playing this game... i lose track of time...

Hope i don't oversleep work this week :)

Having a blast though!

Battlelog update for tonight

We are updating our servers

By: zh1nt0 Posted: 5 hours ago 823 comments

Hello everyone!

It´s sunday night over here at the office. It´s cold and dark outside but inside one of the nicest buildings located in the heart of Stockholm, sits a team that is working on updates. We at DICE are rolling out a new server update and of course, we are posting the change log to you.

For users, this means that you don´t need to update your client since this is a server side update.

- Fix for crashes usually occurring during level switches. Server providers may see a little bit of memory leakage instead in this situation

- Game servers should no longer quit in some situations where the online backend servers are down. Server will reconnect to the backend once it's up again

- Fix for ghost servers which didn't accept connections

- Kick reasons should better match situations where they are issued. This will help battlelog provide more accurate information to the player

- Connection fixes to avoid players sometimes being rejected while joining the game server on one of the last slots

- Security updates

- Improved server logging

Tried the Sparta server last night, but seems it is just an infintry only server? Have to check if they run a full game mode, but was fun. Hope we can get a gr.net server running soon. Think this will be a very popualar game.

what's the complete name of Sparta Server?

I think I played on Legion of Sparta, because I figured it was in Tennessee?

There was an intense firefight at some tight hallway/market ... that was some intense firefight.

Then some beach assault landing "ala Saving Private Ryan .........

I really need to start remembering names of maps, besides Metro and Caspian....

I added that server to my favorites.

We have reduced the vehicles cos that was the majority view, this may not be permanent we will suk it and see I guess. We would welcome opinion on this from anyone here even if you don't post at our forums we read GR.NET.

I am still not sure about this game, graphically it is just awesome but I'm having issues hearing ppl around me I'm not sure if the directional sound is as good as GRAW is and this bothers me.

The coop bit surpisingly is my fav part so far.

My experience with the sound in GRAW was pure SP

After playing SP and MP in SimHQ Server today, I would vote now on "Sound Better than GRAW"

Played Thunder Run Mission and I was blown away on how heavy, metallic, bass-sy the whole experience was

Fortunately, I was able to bring that SP experience to MP, when I had the opportunity to roll two tanks into the opposing team. Not sure if the other tank crew had prior military background, but he knew the advantages and disadvantages of a tank in specific areas of Caspian Map.

He too was patient not to rush I to an opponent's map.

We peppered that map with our main gun and coax, while team soldiers rushed flanking.

It was an awesome sight and sound.

I can see why you guys really love playing MP

Just curious how many of you got the digital version and how many got the DVD? I saw a limited edition DVD version with Return to Karkland and it cost the same as the "regular" version. Does the digital come with that too?

Just curious how many of you got the digital version and how many got the DVD? I saw a limited edition DVD version with Return to Karkland and it cost the same as the "regular" version. Does the digital come with that too?

Only the "Limited Editon" comes with Back to Karkand for free. Either download, or DVD. However I think you could only get the Limited Edition, via download, as a pre-order.

First impression: WOW!!!

After the rather clunky Origin game service install, I spent about 20 min checking out the SP campaign then jumped right into MP. Cool thing was I didn't even have to check what the keyboard controls were as it seemed my fingers' tactile memory came back from playing BF2 two years ago (that and a lot of keyboard mashing). Gameplay and character motion capture were nice and fluid, IMHO much better than Bad Company 2.

Anyways, the graphics/lighting effects are AMAZING, and I was presently surprised it could run at a decent 30fps on my older Q6600/8800 GTX rig on medium settings. The character modeling and environments are outstanding.

Will take awhile to learn the new maps, and it is kind of a challenge playing against guys that are already leveled up ++ despite the fact the game just came out. Looks like MW3 will have to wait awhile ...

Anyways, the graphics/lighting effects are AMAZING, and I was presently surprised it could run at a decent 30fps on my older Q6600/8800 GTX rig on medium settings.

I think I will join you with that spec, I was going to upgrade my Q6600 / 8800 GTS for BF3, but the escalating price of components has virtually put that debate to bed, at least until prices come back down.

I was running this game in Sli mode. 2 x GTX 460. It was happily running in ultra close to a solid 60 FPS. In high it was 75+ always. However, the noise coming from the machine is too much for me. Guess it is the card that has no air?

Running 1 GTX 460 2GB now, it still hits 45+ on Ultra, and 60FPS in High. And no noise at all, this I prefer much more. Cannot hear the PC at all. Maybe some cooling tips I need to run Sli?

Unable for myself or a freind to connect to each other in coop. No clues here, seems to work fine on public coop. But we do not get a invite here, even though whoever hosts has a message that game is waiting for player 2. Player 2 does not get invite.

Ghost recon 1, COD4 and BF3, are the only real TvT games I just enjoy from the start. I really like this game a lot. It is inbetween the Cod run gun fest, and the Arma world. It is really just fun to play.

Do what you can to keep to your squad mates, they will notice after a while in most cases, otherwise change squads.

I am jumping up and down, firing at the ground. Yes, I need a freaking ride pls. How many times people with no passengers drive past people who need a freaking ride... :wall: That is my biggest gripe with public servers. Your chances of survival just went up by 50% for picking someone up.

Caspian border and firestorm maps, wow, that could be some real serious coop missions if it where possible.

Very nice game.