Steam Users! GRAW 1 fix for Crosscom and Ready for Bear mission

Hey guys I just installed GRAW Steam version and unfortunately it does come with a bug. Selecting troops with the middle mouse button does not work and there is camera clipping in the beginning of the Ready for Bear Mission. Fortunately, FreemanforPrez from the Steam forums has found the fix for it and I just wanted to post it here as well. Sorry if this post is too long, I just really wanted to bring this up. Especially since there are going to be a ton of people who will be winning the Ghost Recon complete pack from the giveaway contest. I tested this fix myself, but only for the CrossCom issue. I will try to reach the Ready for Bear mission ASAP and report back.

Original Post by: FreemanforPrez from Steam Forums.

If you're playing the Steam version of GRAW 1 for PC, you will likely come across the problem where the Cross Com fails to work very early in the game in the tutorial phase of your first mission.

Here is the fix for that:

First off, you need to find the "ctrl_set_def.xml" file and MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF IT FIRST with a different name in case anything goes wrong!

Then open it with Notepad or any other text editor.

The file "ctrl_set_def.xml" is in your "...\Steam\steamapps\common\ghost recon advanced warfighter\Settings" folder.

there's a line in there that reads:

<button id="hud_select" binding="2" device="mouse" group="misc"/>

It needs to be changed to read:

<button id="hud_select" binding="2" device="mouse" group="interface"/>

And then save the file by simply pressing ctrl+S or using the Save menu in your text editor.

And that MIGHT do it.

IF NOT, the other option is to:

change:

<button id="hud_select" binding="2" device="mouse" group="misc"/>

To read:

<button id="hud_select" binding="2" device="mouse" group="tactics"/>

Fixing the Ready For Bear mission - mission 6

And then we have the patch.bundle problem, which is the cause of the camera clipping/rolling problem seen in the beginning of the Ready for Bear mission...

In the Bundles folder (again in your game's installation directory), the file named "patch.bundle" needs to be renamed to "Xpatch.bundle" (without the quotes of course), AT LEAST BEFORE the beginning of the "Ready for Bear" mission.

It does not need to be renamed back afterwards, apparently, and it might be a good idea to try to rename it before a new game.

NOTE: For MULTIPLAYER you will have to rename it back to patch.bundle. The fix above is only for Single Player.

(Thank you to Oelmuvun for that information!)

Is it all fixed yet? Maybe. Read on...

The Cross Com MAY stop working again after renaming it to xpatch.bundle, and if so, again in the "ctrl_set_def.xml" file, change "tactics" back to "interface":

i.e.,

-FROM-

-TO-

<button id="hud_select" binding="2" device="mouse" group="interface"/>

These fixes SHOULD work. if anyone has any questions, by all means feel free to ask.

I was told by a mod here that he brought this up with the Steam administrators and that if this receives a positive response it will be stickied.

I can't take credit for these fixes by the way. I simply arranged it all in one post, but I found the information here in this forum a year ago and at other places around the 'net too.

Actually hold that thought Rocky, I just made a few horrifying discoveries of that fix. The crosscom portion works, but renaming the patch.bundle to Xpatch.bundle actually disables certain sound effects and reverts the game features to 1.10 I think... I know this because the grenade launcher crosshairs are different, when I rename the bundle.

Alright, the fix does work. However it is advisable to use it (the patch.bundle to Xpatch.bundle) when you reach the Ready for Bear mission, not beforehand. Then reverting back after the mission is completed. Unfortunately this is probably caused because neither Ubisoft or Valve want to take responsibility to fix this issue. This is probably why EA decided to start its own game client recently, Origin. This is a good temporary fix, if I come with anything in the future I will update this post.

• 6 months later...

Alright, the fix does work. However it is advisable to use it (the patch.bundle to Xpatch.bundle) when you reach the Ready for Bear mission, not beforehand. Then reverting back after the mission is completed. Unfortunately this is probably caused because neither Ubisoft or Valve want to take responsibility to fix this issue. This is probably why EA decided to start its own game client recently, Origin. This is a good temporary fix, if I come with anything in the future I will update this post.

the fix support has nothing to do with steam. or valve. they take no responsibility for patch work when publishing titles on their service and this is not why EA re-branded their Downloader to Origin.; it was to get exclusive launch sales and exclusive DLC sales. UBI has spent the better part of the last decade not fixing ghost recon. They are entirely to blame for the lack of support. Look at any of their good older Clancy games. none of them are supported past 6 months.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have been having some trouble with a steam version of the game. I am trying to mod in extra save points as described here:

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=35612

I had it all working on level 1 (I had played the game previously, but just repurchased on steam and am looking for an easier playthrough) with the added saves, only to find that the cross com wasn't working. Using the method above, I got it working, only to find that I couldn't then use the action button... By switching action's grouping to tactics, I could get that to work to. Unfortunately, this has ruined the mod. It no longer seems to reference the missionXX.xml files. I even unpacked the bundles and started over from scratch, but it still seems to gloss right over my mods.

Does anyone have any idea how to get around this?

I was just playing through as normal, but I am stuck in the embassy and just keep getting insta-killed by a rocket or grenade or some damn thing. I remember how long it took me to get past that scene last time, and I just don't think I have the patience anymore.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

barriboy

Hi guys,

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have been having some trouble with a steam version of the game. I am trying to mod in extra save points as described here:

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=35612

I had it all working on level 1 (I had played the game previously, but just repurchased on steam and am looking for an easier playthrough) with the added saves, only to find that the cross com wasn't working. Using the method above, I got it working, only to find that I couldn't then use the action button... By switching action's grouping to tactics, I could get that to work to. Unfortunately, this has ruined the mod. It no longer seems to reference the missionXX.xml files. I even unpacked the bundles and started over from scratch, but it still seems to gloss right over my mods.

Does anyone have any idea how to get around this?

I was just playing through as normal, but I am stuck in the embassy and just keep getting insta-killed by a rocket or grenade or some damn thing. I remember how long it took me to get past that scene last time, and I just don't think I have the patience anymore.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

barriboy

Unfortunately, the steam version of GRAW is FUBAR, but there may still be a way to fix it (except I don't know how to). All I can recommend is to play the game without the mod, the game isn't all too hard if you played it through a couple of times; or you can buy a boxed retail copy for like 5 dollars on Ebay.

Unfortunately, the steam version of GRAW is FUBAR.

Oh, believe me, I've noticed.

All I can recommend is to play the game without the mod, the game isn't all too hard if you played it through a couple of times; or you can buy a boxed retail copy for like 5 dollars on Ebay.

I actually never finished the game the first time through. I don't remember how far I made it, but I know I never finished. I think I finally hit a level where I just couldn't get past it and then just gave up. I still have my retail copy somewhere at my parents' house two states over, but I just like the convenience of steam where I don't have to move around and maintain a hundred discs whenever I move.

Oh well, thanks anyway. I'll keep messing around with the xmls, maybe try extracting the xpatch.bundle to see if they have new mission scripts in there. Will post if I find anything and will keep checking back in case anyone has any pearls of wisdom for me.

How can they have released a game to steam without even checking to see if it has basic functionality, like, say, the effing cross-com? I know no companies support mods, so I guess I can't really blame them for this, but not having a few commands work (and I haven't yet reached Ready for Bear, but it almost sounds like the glitch there is fatal) is just plain ridiculous. For shame, EA, for shame.

Cheers,

barriboy

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

All,

Following the above instructions from posters FreemanforPrez and belvucker will be right on !

here is three (3) somethings that needed to be worked on this laptop and game files:

Updated This game will work by disabling the Dell Touchpad and Dell Pointstick in a E6410 Latitude

Updated the "ctrl_set_def.xml" file

<button id="hud_up" binding="mouse wheel up" device="mouse" group="misc"/>

<button id="hud_down" binding="mouse wheel down" device="mouse" group="misc"/>

Updated the "profile.xml" file in 'graw_profile_default' folder for crosscom making mouse to scroll up AND down

<button id="hud_down" binding="mouse wheel down" device="mouse"/>

<button id="hud_select" binding="2" device="mouse"/>
<button id="hud_up" binding="mouse wheel up" device="mouse"/>

I didn't have to modiify anything more, but this page sure is the answer that is needed. Now the game works on the crosscom and the team members will take orders and will move independently from the squad leader. All options on the crosscom now function. Cool !

Attack function on the crosscom works as well too, finally !!

Thank you for the assist

• 6 months later...

do not have steam and patch.bundle.

in game dir I have only quick.bundle.

tried with bundler.exe from tools to extract file.

the command didn't work...(something with bundler extract -r data something...).

stucked to mission 6.

plz give file if possible.

think to uninstall...

• 6 years later...
On 02/11/2013 at 04:21, Kogaion said:

do not have steam and patch.bundle.

in game dir I have only quick.bundle.

tried with bundler.exe from tools to extract file.

the command didn't work...(something with bundler extract -r data something...).

stucked to mission 6.

plz give file if possible.

think to uninstall...

Same happen to me i didn't find "patch.bundle" file in bundle folder there is 2 file 1.init_game  and 2.quick.bundle.

and my problem is i cannot play READY FOR BEAR mission when i  Load the mission inside the tank camera is uncontrollabel and it just stop. press x to go out I press no movement and cannot go further. what need to be done how to fix the problem.

• 1 year later...