GRAW: How to use a controller

Hi there everyone. New person to the forum, but not to GR. I've been playing Ghost Recon off and on for years, and recently, GRAW after playing the demo.

My question is this: Im running GRAW on my PC, and I'd like to use a game controller instead of the keyboard, well,...just to save the keyboard. Is there any way to change the setting on the game or from within the game for it to accept a game controller? Would I have to change something within the XML document to get it to accept a game controller?

Im running version grpcrc 1.02.

Thanks in advance, and appreciate any help that someone may be able to give me

Omega_Recon

Topic of interest Help with Xbox 360 controller and pc

Basics:

Download a keyboard and mouse emulation program. These programs are designed to fool computer games into registering gamepad inputs as keyboard and mouse inputs.

Install your emulation program and plug your gamepad controller into your computer. Note that most compatible gamepads connect with a USB plug.

Use your emulation program to assign different keyboard and mouse values to the gamepad. For instance, assign the left mouse button the specific gamepad button you would like to press when firing your weapon in "GRAW."

Save your button assignments. You should be able to direct the mouse cursor around the screen using your gamepad at this point. Use your gamepad to execute the "GRAW" game program.

Enter the "Controls" menu and change the various game controls as desired. Ensure that your gamepad buttons and their respective function match in the "Controls" menu.

Sample your controls within a "GRAW" game. If the controls are not assigned to your liking, you may need to reopen your emulation program and tinker with the settings.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there TInker.

Went out to Wal Mart and got a controller, thinking to myself while Im standing in line to pay for my purchase, that "This is going to be sooooooo cool." Well, I got home with the controller, downloaded the program, set up all the controls. and started playing the game. I almost went a week trying to play GRAW with a controller. But, my brain was screaming for a keyboard and a mouse. And I didnt have as much control with the controller that I had with the mouse. So, after a few days, I took the controller back to Wal Mart, got my money back, and my brain hasnt been screaming since.

So to those that want to use a controller, the idea might be great, and sound great. But once you start game play, it just isnt the same. To me you dont have as much control or precision as you do using the mouse and keyboard. So, in my opinion, save yourself some time and money and stick with the keyboard. You'll enjoy having the precision and better control than any controller could give.

Thanks again for your help Tinker

Omega Recon

Cheers for the response, interesting summary. :thumbsup:

Used to have the PS1 and mega drive years back, always played them to death. Then started PC gaming. I can still use the controller if needed. Maybe a year or so back I gave away my XBox and GR2, plus the Gamecube with RE4. You can play for hours and all seems fine, then you play any game on the PC with M/K and it is just so much nicer.

If MS would fully impliment K/M support for there games on the XBox 360, I would own 1, probably. Something we will probably see soon with the next series.

:thumbsup: