no news on a PC release date

The ickiest thing to me is that Ubisoft leaves us dangling like this. I've purchased every PC game with Tom Clancy's name on it and that's no small amount of money; I'm sure there are more then a few here on GRN that have done likewise. While I don't feel Ubisoft 'owes' me anything, this kind of business conduct isn't tolerated in other markets, or ever going the other way from Customer to the Business. This sort of hit and run bating advertising that no one in Marketing could possibly be so ignorant as not to know is both unprofessional and unethical -- leaves me cold.

sad.gif

Edited by 101459

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol hopefully if they did cancel it, they did it so they could develop us PC gamers the Ghost Recon we wanted for so long :). Doesn't really matter to me though, I still have my good old Ghost Recon Classic :D

This is what Ubi will get if they cancel PC FS: mass migration to BF3.

Couldnt have said it better myself.

I plan to get BF3 anyway but it ###### me off the way they have treated PC gamers (who lets face it have held the GR francise together for them all this time) compared to the console gamers.

I will never play this sort of game on any console as its ludicrous......consoles are for mario and racing games, not tactical shooters.

I would like to think that they are delaying it to fit in all suggestions to PC model that have been suggested in forums or at least make things selectable in options of game.

I hate this over the shoulder third person view for example and it will spoil the game for me unless you can switch this to 1st person completely as PC gamers usually play this sort of game.

Whatever they are doing you think that they would at least give us a scrap of information for at least keeping them employed by buying the products.

At this point in time BF3 is looking the more inviting option for me and so what if they are in competition. If the other gaming companies can release the games for PC fans, then Ubisoft need to get onboard and get their finger out.

Yep ill get BF3 as well, so lets all move on to a Companies that care about PC Gamers...

Btw ubisoft must consider this following video...

ps: sorry if i violated any rule for posting video.

Later

Edited by mikeseoz

ps: sorry if i violated any rule for posting video.

No rules violated at all - thanks for sharing the clip! :thumbsup:

The video brushes on a few shortcomings of console titles, but the real issue here is consolitis, and not only the one that spreads dumbed-down gameplay to PC games like a virus, but also the consolitis spreading through the industry like a wildfire.

[...]PC gamers are a fickle bunch of cynics, but we’re also very dedicated, savvy, and appreciative of a good product. If the big companies aren’t providing us with quality entertainment, we’ll gladly give our money to the little guys. Just look at Minecraft: a million-seller designed and coded by one Persson. Much of his success can be attributed to the PC being an open platform, which allowed him to a) let everyone know what he was doing as he did it and b) release countless unfinished-but-playable versions of the game, receiving tons of funding and the support of thousands of free play-testers in the process. Console development simply doesn’t allow for this since what you’re making has to be finished before its pressed and packaged and sold in stores. This generation of consoles has made some progress by allowing for post-release patching and digital distribution, but selling an alpha build of a game would never work there.

Because the big companies are so focused on catering to the lowest common denominator and trying to emulate past successes, creativity has taken a nose-dive. Making money should be a side effect of game development, not the reason for doing it in the first place. While production values and advertising budgets for AAA games have skyrocketed in recent years, innovation and overall quality have come way down. Unfortunately, deficiencies in the latter are often covered up by overcompensating with the former, which is especially effective in the eyes of a consumer that cares more about outward appearances and celebrity endorsements than actual substance. The sweet irony of it all is that a genuinely good game with virtually zero budget and publicity can be as financially successful as, if not more so than, a AAA title. Corporations have corrupted the industry with their greedy habit of minimalizing risk, and if they don’t change their ways, they will come crashing down in the wake of the indie game revolution.

Possibly the most disastrous outcome of an industry-wide shift to console-oriented development, is that technological innovation will be greatly slowed. Though a $500+ video card is considered top of the line, a $250 one will now play pretty much any game at the highest settings with no problem. (Maybe that’s what everyone wanted?) Pretty soon, however, graphics chip makers won’t be able to sustain their rate of growth because the software is so far behind, which will be bad for gamers on consoles as well as PC. If people stop buying new graphics cards because there are no games that require more power, there isn’t much incentive for the current rate of advancement to continue. That means consoles and PCs alike won’t be providing as big of a leap in fidelity or performance as people will expect come next generation. Everybody is jumping on the console bandwagon because it’s a larger market, which leads to more short-term profits, but ceasing to innovate on the leading technology platform, i.e. PC, will bring the entire video game industry to a screeching halt down the road. It’s already started happening, with Microsoft and Sony looking to stretch their current console cycle to ten years instead of five…

The US Ubisoft store still lists the PC version for pre-order with a release date in 2012

and is using the new updated v2 Box Art [..]

Nice find Pave, though have not seen this in the UK store anywhere, except for available for PS3 and XBox. <_<

Well i think the US store ist very slow with his updates. In the german store GRFS ist also available for PS3 and Xbox. :(

The German magazine PC Games currently runs a feature article (Google translation) stating that the cancellation of GRFS for PC has officially been confirmed by Ubisoft.

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier erscheint nicht für PC. Dies bestätigte Ubisoft nun offiziell.

Translation:

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier won't be released for PC. Ubisoft now has officially confirmed this.

GameStar magazine confirms the cancellation, too.

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier won't be released for PC. Ubisoft now has officially confirmed this.

They have not

if you see this bit

In the Ubisoft forum now asked for a user and got the confirmation

They are just linking to that one post by Ubi_Pierre and completely misinterpreting it - that is NOT official confirmation of cancellation at all

as we already discussed above that is not what Ubi_Pierre's post says or what he was talking about there

I would want to see something a lot more concrete from Ubi than just that one forum post

The mags are just totally guessing, you only have to read em to see that

EG

probably a release for the PC was never really planned.

The German magazine PC Games currently runs a feature article (Google translation) stating that the cancellation of GRFS for PC has officially been confirmed by Ubisoft.

But these articles based on the german ubisoft message board. There is no official statement from ubisoft as yet:

Gamestar:

Nachdem sich der Publisher Ubisoft bisher um eine klare Aussage herumgedrückt hatte (in den Trailern aber bereits nur die Logos für Playstation 3 und die Xbox 360 zu sehen waren), hat ein Mitarbeiter im offiziellen Ubi-Forum nun klargestellt, dass das Vollpreis-Spiel Future Soldier nur für PS3 und Xbox 360 im ersten Quartal 2012 erscheinen soll.

PCGames:

Im Ubisoft-Forum fragte nun ein User nach und bekam die Bestätigung

Edit: German Magazins are very fast with this assumption. Look at the commentary, the people are very upset and a lot of people mention that ghost recon is a stupid game, atlhough they havn't play it.

Well this support my doubt that a lot of german people hate future soldier or they havn't got any interest. I notice that also with my fansite. It's a very small fanbase in germany and it's very difficult to reach the right people :(

Edited by Shirakawa

Well, misunderstanding or not - Ubisoft's "official confirmation" of cancelling GRFS for PC has been picked up all over the German web now. Here are more sites running the story...

PC Games (Translation)

GameStar (Translation)

Gamona (Translation)

GamesTrust (Translation)

looki (Translation)

playNATION (Translation)

GamesAktuell (Translation)

CurrentGame (Translation)

qwertz.net (Translation)

Gamers Base (Translation)

Game2Gether (Translation)

GameZone (Translation)

4Players (Translation)

JustGaming (Translation)

I think it is about time for Ubisoft to come out with a definite statement now.

Edit: German Magazins are very fast with this assumption.

Well, misunderstanding or not - Ubisoft's "official confirmation" of cancelling GRFS for PC has been picked up all over the German web now.

Yeah, it's sad to see sites spreading such important news based solely on that one forum post and so far that is the only source they are all using.

nowadays it only needs one site to make an assumption and then the others leap-on and repeat it as a "fact" with no-one actually looking hard at the original root source details and that it could be interpreted completely differently.

Guess it was the big fear/worry every PC player has had in the back of their mind for so long and it only needed someone to speak it aloud before it starts to spread like wildfire

and as it was so "expected" they're not really even bothering to really question it

The lack of a sensible company PR policy will create a vacuum that if left long enough, fans will fill themselves with rumors and fears

I think it is about time for Ubisoft to come out with a definite statement now.

Well overdue

Oh well if nothing else this "scare" should force them to say something at least

as they surely cant let this spread out of control without correction (or even a dreaded confirmation).

The lack of a sensible company PR policy will create a vacuum that if left long enough, fans will fill themselves with rumors and fears

I agree. UBI's PR has always been hard to fathom or lack of it. If the CIA was as tight lipped and secretive as UBI they would never have leak one.

1st of all I'm not looking foward to this title but I find it quite funny all of you arguing if the game is going to be released on PC and looking for proof on the WWW, kind of remind me the now LOCKED GR2 forum at this site (btw wasn't funny to me back then when they cancelled the game 5 months after console release) for my part like we say in the ARMY been there done that, for you guys I guess time will tell.

Edited by Sgt. Atoa

UBI's PR has always been hard to fathom or lack of it.

For the lack of it? What about the utter weirdness of it, like:

grotvad.jpg

Nothing there that's even memorable, and precious little to do with the game; at least EA has talented PR people running the show...

If the CIA was as tight lipped and secretive as UBI they would never have leak one.

Tight lipped? "Inept" seems more apt... Ubi PR seems bent on self-destructive marketing that can easily generate as much (or more) doubt, cynicism, and even ill will about the company and it's products as it generates enthusiasm.

By way of example sans the utter confusion they've created over what will be released and when: who do they imagine cares what the (paid for their scripted opinion) Frag Dolls think, or what some girl that works for company wonders about the game? This is poster child 'bad marketing 1001' from a business class in the 70's -- makeing me wonder who's ugly nephew got the marketing job at Ubisoft when they're continually operating so close to the red...

On a more positive note it's nice to see threads merged to 'when' rather then 'if' even though that issue seems far from resloved... Can Ubisoft take a hint? How about a blunt force suggestion?

blink.gif

Edited by 101459

Something Kimi posted on twitter a couple of days ago in reply to a question

Q. Any PC news soon?

A. Negative, sorry

Q. If you don't mind me asking, why?

A. That's just not something we're communicating at this time

although today's incident might now force something out of them though

Ubisoft is the weirdest company ever.... If they don't release the PC version of GRFS, i hope from the bottom of my heart GRFS for console FAIL BIG TIME. They deserved it.

I have a Xbox but WILL NEVER BUY THIS GAME for CONSOLE.... i just use it for sports gaming. (Barely use it)

Time for me to switch Games like COD or BF3

Cya guys and Good luck... but i feel its just time for UBI to come up and say they wont made a PC version of GRFS, So Eat It Pc Gamers.

I would easily forget FS if UBI could make an update to GR, allowing support to MilkShape (or any free or popular but cheap 3d modelling software).

Imagine the possibilities!

Yeah, I know I'm dreaming. No profit, no work :(

Edited by Operative

Ubi has acted......

Ubi_Pierre has no doubt been read the riot act this morning and has been dispatched pronto to edit his original post

Just to provide some clarity:

Ghost Recon and Ghost Recon Online Future Soldier are two different projects!

Use Coupons

Full-price title

Appears Q1/2012

Multi-platform

Ghost Recon Online

Free-2-play client-based

Published in 2011

For PC

Regards,

This post has been edited. Last edited by: Ubi_Pierre , 20.06.2011 15:20

So not "only" for 360+PS3 then and probably not cancelled

bet a few embarrassed German "news" sites will be posting retractions/updates pronto

Yeah, but they have made it abundantly clear they are absolutely not going to mention the PC version yet

(probably until after the X360+PS3 are released then we shall see)

as it was the "only" part of that post which was causing the confusion, in typical Ubi fashion they have now remedied it without disrupting their original timetable of when they were going to reveal information.

and to be fair that single post was really not a solid foundation upon which to build such claims

PCgames.de has updated her news. Ubisoft comfirms that GRFS will be released on PC and the people have misconceived the statement of Ubi Pierre! What a deliberate confusion :D

Translate from Google: Ubisoft has now responded and informed that the employee's forum statement had been interpreted incorrectly.

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier was announced for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC, to the contrary has not been confirmed.